• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf
    Are most parts kits, slide and lower mostly the same? It seems everyone is making them. Is there any benefit from a 115$ parts kit vs a 70$ kit from Midway or Brownells? The slide parts kit I was looking at L2D combat from wing tactical...

shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf
    If you want reliability, go with Glock OEM parts only!

Thanks for the quick reply...that is too easy and makes too much sense...I guess I was getting sucked into everybody's new shiny kits with different finishes and fancy metals....stay with the tried and true, which happens to be less expensive.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    I don’t know, my coworker has built about 7 now and only has a few issues during the break in period but after a few hundred rounds he hasn’t had any problems with any... and he does 3 gun shoots with them. All parts kits from midway and Brownelles but he did upgrade the sights and slide rod and spring from plastic to steel

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    In my limited experience I have learned that Glocks are not designed or intended to be competition firearms. They are built for long term reliability.

I do not care much for the triggers on the ones I have built, but they are 100% reliable! Since they were built for defensive purposes, this is an absolute necessity. If you ever need to use your pistol in a life threatening situation, you will NOT be looking at the sights or taking careful aim but you will want it to function perfectly and fire each time you squeeze the trigger!

Installing aftermarket parts may very well improve the trigger feel and make your pistol more accurate when shooting at targets. In many cases, as you improve the trigger feel, you degrade it's reliability and begin to have problems with resetting and light strikes on Glocks. In my opinion, if you decide to use anything other than OEM parts, the gun should only be used at the range.

If your intended purpose is to shoot competitively, a Glock may not be your best choice. You can build one that will do the job but it requires a substantial investment, some patience and plenty of testing.

shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf
    In my limited experience I have learned that Glocks are not designed or intended to be competition firearms. They are built for long term reliability.

I do not care much for the triggers on the ones I have built, but they are 100% reliable! Since they were built for defensive purposes, this is an absolute necessity. If you ever need to use your pistol in a life threatening situation, you will NOT be looking at the sights or taking careful aim but you will want it to function perfectly and fire each time you squeeze the trigger!

Installing aftermarket parts may very well improve the trigger feel and make your pistol more accurate when shooting at targets. In many cases, as you improve the trigger feel, you degrade it's reliability and begin to have problems with resetting and light strikes on Glocks. In my opinion, if you decide to use anything other than OEM parts, the gun should only be used at the range.

If your intended purpose is to shoot competitively, a Glock may not be your best choice. You can build one that will do the job but it requires a substantial investment, some patience and plenty of testing.

Thanks again. This isn't a competition pistol. I'm building it for range/defense and because I can/want to. Reliability is the key. I'm spacing the purchases out to keep the wallet and the wife happy. I realize going in the cheaper route would be to purchase one out right, but where is the fun in that?

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa

Part in red, NO, just stop. Glocks do fine in competitions. Glock even makes several guns for competition. They run against $3K guns out of the box. Like these:
    https://us.glock.com/pistols?filter=Competition
    Plus, the old loved G17L (Mine DA909 with 50K rounds down range)

There is also a group that runs Glock only competitions:
    http://gssfonline.com/

After market parts "can" be fine. Well, if your a trained gun plumber that installed them properly. It's in spec an you checked it twice to confirm it. You ran 500-1000 rounds without failure.

Glock makes better triggers an springs an - connectors. I shoot with a few guys running NY triggers in their 3 Gun Glocks.

When building a Glock or 80%, start with OEM parts. After she runs 500 rounds without failure then try the aftermarket parts you want. When she fails go back to OEM.

Want to find other deals on Glock parts look here:
    https://www.glocktalk.com/forum/

shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf
    Thanks...that is the plan moving forward. OEM. I've built a couple of rifles and my handgun experience has been Sigs, S&W, and Springfield's..I've carried them all on duty. I took my Instructor class with a Glock 17 and really liked it...I've just now got around to getting one for myself. I've no doubt Glocks make great competition pieces, lots of coworkers and friends swear by them...I'm just behind the curve on experience with them...my employers have mostly been Sig fans. Looking forward to getting started. I've worn out you tube on videos...and even noticed some I've watched and went back to watch again have been taken down...thanks YouTube...

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Glock's idea of a competition gun is installing a 4.5# connector which still is much higher than most would choose for such a weapon. The trigger still has too much creep and sucks compared to other trigger designs. They can be modified to be quite nice as I said, but this almost always sacrifices reliability. The required modifications are more than most people should tackle because the gun can be made unsafe if done incorrectly.

It is the simple trigger design that makes it one of the most reliable guns ever made. It is also the simple trigger design that makes it suck for competition without major modifications!

As 303 said, "When she fails go back to OEM."

shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf
    Any thoughts on barrels? Not that I plan on shooting lead, but I've read that is a no no in the Glock barrels. Ed Brown has them on sale for 99$....anyone have any info on barrels to avoid? Im going OEM with all internals, but I'd like to not be limited on ammo...I know most handguns have a preference anyway, but starting out being limited to fmj only makes me wary...never know what may happen in the future...I still here murmurs of ammo registration being floated and proposed.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I have had good luck with LoneWolf and Swenson barrels and have polished the feed ramps only. Brass comes out in good enough shape to reload if desired.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    My buddy shot in Glock competitions. He tells me most of the guns were modified to some degree and there was always a Glock Armorer onsite to fix things. There's none available in a self defense situation.....

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Make that Glocks not intended for * slowfire Bullseye * competition . Plenty of games involving Bang Bang where polymer striker fired pistols are common, and do well .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom