• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • randyho

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2009
    Not His Happy Place
    Second time today I'm asking this. Does it shoot left when you shoot with your support hand? Simple way to determine software (technique) vs. hardware issue.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Did anyone have initial teething issues with the G19 trigger? I’ve never shot a trigger like that. My 1911’s have serrated triggers, but they are flat, not slanted.

I shoot Glocks slightly to the left as well but not enough for me to worry with it. I'm in the Blaster camp on this one as far as center mass hits. It's what counts for what I might have to do and that's where I leave it because my focus is on getting it out of the holster and shots on target quick.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Lol! I can deal with feel of the trigger, but I think I may not be pulling the trigger back as straight as I usually do. This may be due to the shape of the trigger. I need to use more pad I think. Perhaps my finger is sliding down the serrations on the right side of the trigger. Like I said, I am an accurate shooter, but I shoot mostly CZs, 1911s, and my XD45. I may need to get used to the trigger on the G19. I find it funny that I shot the p365 more accurately than the G19. It was the first time I had shot either pistol.

Dry and live fire will probably fix it but sometimes, people shoot some stuff better than others. I had an STI Edge that I bought for 3gun. It was accurate and the trigger was phenomenal. After 5,000 rounds I realized that I still shot my 34 better in matches.

I picked up a Shadow 2 this year for USPSA but haven't shot it enough to know how well it will work. I doubt I'll do any better with it. I have been getting burned out shooting and figured messing with a new gun may spark the fire again. Part of me thinks that I'm just low rent and can't do any better than a $500 plastic gun.

I do think it just comes down to practice. I probably have more rounds through glocks than every thing else combined.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Second time today I'm asking this. Does it shoot left when you shoot with your support hand? Simple way to determine software (technique) vs. hardware issue.

I haven’t shot it left handed yet. I’ve only shot the weapon at one range session.

Just to clarify, I’m not blaming the weapon. It could be me not being used to the trigger or the aftermarket sights are off.

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I shoot Glocks slightly to the left as well but not enough for me to worry with it. I'm in the Blaster camp on this one as far as center mass hits. It's what counts for what I might have to do and that's where I leave it because my focus is on getting it out of the holster and shots on target quick.

I agree about fast center of mass shots, but I still want to figure out what is causing me to be left (not low and left).

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    To me, it's like any other gun. If you are getting good groups while always aiming at one point, move the sight. Don't change anything else. Cater the gun to your natural point of aim.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Pretty easy to push the trigger and break shots left, the smooth G17 trigger is a bit more forgiving, and easy enough to swap in. Can try placing the finger deeper at the joint and see if it changes the group position, if so work on your trigger control, if not then might need to push the sight.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I have the same issue with my Gen 4 G17 Vickers Tactical, about 2” left at 10 yards, but a tight, one-hole group (vertically perfect). I took my brother in law to the range last weekend for his first ever shooting session (he never even held a firearm before). He was advised by someone to get a G19, so I wanted him to shoot my G17. I took like 10 different pistols to give him a variety to experience and choose from. Of the 10, the absolute LEAST favorite of his was the Glock. His two most favorite were the HK VP40 and the Sig P226 MK25. He ended up buying a VP9 the other day. He is excited as heck to now be a gun owner and budding shooter. I didn’t even get a chance to pack up a bunch of wheel guns for him to try. Now, we’re looking at shotguns and AR’s, getting my assortment packed up and mags loaded for this weekend.

I’ll be moving my rear sight on the G17 before my next range trip. Surprised that the custom Vickers Tactical sights are that far off. Shot very smooth and consistently, just left.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Lol! I can deal with feel of the trigger, but I think I may not be pulling the trigger back as straight as I usually do. This may be due to the shape of the trigger. I need to use more pad I think. Perhaps my finger is sliding down the serrations on the right side of the trigger. Like I said, I am an accurate handgun shooter, but I shoot mostly CZs, 1911s, and my XD45. I may need to get used to the trigger on the G19.

I find it funny that I shot the p365 more accurately than the G19. It was the first time I had shot either pistol. My Glock 17 and G20 shoot fine for me too. Even with hot Underwood 10mm loads, I’m more accurate with the G20 than my G19.
    You need to strengthen your grip. Your finger shouldn't be so strong enough in order to move the pistol left or right.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    My 43X was a little left. Not so much that it bothered me. When I replaced the sights was when I dialed it over.

realjoecool

MDS Supporter
    Aug 6, 2012
    Might be your grip

My two cents, I had that issue too, until I adjusted my grip to cover more of frame when shooting. Might be the sights, but before changing those, adjust your grip. There are videos on YouTube about this.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Our agency uses Glocks with aftermarket sights installed by Glock. The were laser zero’d at the factory and all of them are pushed further right than center. All of my personal glocks with aftermarket sights are favoring the right side when zero’d.

Both of mine do also. Not by much, but if you mic the rear sight or look real closely you can tell its a few hundredths to the right. What's odd to me is my Tru Glo fiber sights on my G17 are dead on (well, with the rear sight slightly right), but on my G21 the same ones (well, made for large frame glocks) are low. Like 3" low at 10yds. I know its at least slightly me, but even shooting carefully of a rest its still about 1.5" low. My G17 by comparison are dead on at 10yds. I think a 12 o'clock hold is what is needed for my G21. Haven't shot it with the new sights past 10yds, but I suspect it'll keep it pretty good with a 12 o'clock hold. My G17 I am shooting with a center hold BTW (and mostly what I was trying to do with my G21. With a 12 o'clock hold it was a little closer to zero, but still more than an inch low).

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    You need to strengthen your grip. Your finger shouldn't be so strong enough in order to move the pistol left or right.

Then maybe it isn’t my trigger finger, as you mentioned earlier. I have no problems with any of my other handguns and I have a strong grip. I’ll check it on a bench. Maybe the sights need to be adjusted. Thanks.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Too little trigger finger according to my handy dandy right hand correction chart.
    That's not what this one says.
    ec00db9625aa7d5b3190778d5271523b.jpg

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Oh no, he brought out the chart....

Try mixing in some dummy rounds and see if you're moving the gun when you're shooting. If you're not moving when you hit the dummy round, its the gun and you need to adjust the sights. If the gun is moving when you hit that dummy round, it's something you are doing.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Too little trigger finger according to my handy dandy right hand correction chart.
    You do realize that one has to push the right side of the trigger to the left in order for the pistol to punt that way, right?
    It would have to be a 30 pound trigger in order for a finger to produce that much pressure to literally push the pistol.
    The finger can be any placement as long as the press is smooth.
    I worked with several women who's hands were small for a P229. They used their middle finger for their trigger finger. You think they worked in proper placement? No. The action was smooth and they hit their target.
    I also shoot left handed. There's no way in hell my left trigger finger is as good as my right, but being smooth with a good grip, I still shoot well.
    People when they "target shoot", shoot too fast and for too many rounds.
    Load and shoot 1 round at a time and I guarantee groups get better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom