• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I was shooting a new (to me) gun over Father's day weekend... second hand 9mm single stack, 1911 style, using factory ammunition. It was the first time I shot the pistol, so I was shooting a very easy 10 yards on a 6 inch steel plate (freshly painted so I could see what was happening).

First two are just a little high and left. I adjust my point of aim to the bottom right quarter of the plate. Shots 3, 4, 5 and 6 hit dead center in a nice tight group. Then the weirdness starts. Shots 7, 8, and 9 are now hitting low and to the right (off the plate and kicking up dirt).

OK... I figured, I'm pulling it somehow. I load a fresh mag and aim carefully at the bottom right quarter. Shots 1-6 are all hitting beautifully in the center of the plate. Shots 7, 8, and 9 go low right.

Magazine after magazine, I see the same exact results. As I start to adjust my aim to top left quarter of the plate on the last three shots of each magazine, I hit... but only on those numbered rounds.

I have 2 factory magazines for this handgun and both produce the same results. Shots 1-6 just a bit high left... shots 7-9 low right. I don't think I've ever had this happen before. Is it possible for a gun to shift point of aim based on the order of feeding?... or is it me? I'm willing to except that, but why just with this gun, and why so consistently in this pattern?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    My thought? You hit the plate. The pistol is working.
    Use a real paper bullseye target, shooting from a bench if you are thinking sight issues.

I've had target fmj go all over there place even at under 10 yards.
    You keep mentioning mags like they might be a problem. Nope.

I always always always always tell people to load and shoot 1 round at a time, then take a look see.
    Most people shoot too fast. They miss, get frustrated, and then just keep shooting shitty.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    pretty much everything blaster said.

try to do a 2 stage trigger pull. take up the take up and then break the shot. there is nowhere enough recoil to hurt you so don't let it bother you or anticipate it. takeup, break, bang. do it with an empty gun and make sure the sights stay on target after you break the 'shot.'

magazines have nothing to do with it. the round you're firing is out of the mag and in the chamber.

HiStandards

Aug 1, 2017
    Anne Arundel Co
    Just to pile on: Focus on the front sight. Center of mass on the plate. Don't try to "chase" the impacts. Once you have consistent groups, think about adjusting sights, grip and stance. Dry-firing a few thousand times is boring as heck, but really helps.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Just to pile on: Focus on the front sight. Center of mass on the plate. Don't try to "chase" the impacts. Once you have consistent groups, think about adjusting sights, grip and stance. Dry-firing a few thousand times is boring as heck, but really helps.

Shot a USPSA match with a guy who was having the same issue, his rear sight was loose in the slide.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Chasing the impact is called , "shooting the group". When you shoot the group, you're doing whatever it takes to make the shots land there. Instead of aiming center bull and wondering why they aren't there.
    Again... Loading and shooting 1 at a time slows you down.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Good advice. Thanks guys. It was just so consistent with regards to rounds 7, 8, and 9 in the mag, I was willing to believe there might have been something mechanical at play. Will continue to work it and see if I can improve performance. I was using pretty cheap FMJ too... can try better ammo, one round at a time to see if I get some more consistency. Thanks all.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Shot a USPSA match with a guy who was having the same issue, his rear sight was loose in the slide.

I had that happen with a Para P14-45.

I was shooting a USPSA match and one stage, my shots were all over the place.

Before I holstered, I notice the rear sight was off to the side. It reached up, pushed towards the center, and it flew off the slide.

Para had cut the dovetail too deep, and used epoxy to make it fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom