• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Thinking about getting a paddleboard for fishing the Severn River and taking it to the beach and fishing marshes... Stuck between an inflatable and solid. Has anyone used both and have any opinion on one versus that other? What are your thoughts about fishing from one?

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    Used both a lot. Inflatable ones work well and actually can last a long time. Have had one for over 7 years and no holes. Seen regular use.

Inflatables are very light. Much harder to maintain balance on. Especially in waves. If you are new to it I would suggest a solid. Or just be ready to learn on an inflatable.

Either are good. The bigger and wider the more stable overall. You can learn on an inflatable if you are somewhat athletic. If not you can learn on an inflatable and you’ll get in shape climbing back on it. Many inexpensive inflatables come with a junk paddle. Just broke one the other day within an hour. Can replace the paddle, but factor that into the purchase. Get a good paddle.

If you are fishing from a paddle board it can be done but you need to be able to maintain balance. Don’t want to dump your stuff. Kayak would be easier.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    There's a guy over on snaggedline.com who (I think) lives on the Severn and does quite well from his paddleboard.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I have a Native Versaboard. It's a hybrid between a paddleboard and kayak.

Very comfortable seat, has rod holders and tracks well. Can strap a crate on the back.

It also has a built in wheel for maneuvering it on flat surfaces.

Nice to be able to paddle it when the wind picks up.

Happy to show it to you if you want to check it out.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Kids use a heavy plastic one and wife just got an inflatable. Inflatable is way more unstable. Wish there was a way to add some weight on the ends of each side to offer stability.

There is a guy that fishes out in OC bay I have seen from a Kayak that has retractable float outriggers. If they made that for a paddle board, that would be cool.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I'm primarily a Kayak paddler, but have tried out a few SUPs. Higher end inflatables with a decent width around 36" are pretty stable, and comfortable, easy to transport, and have enough attachment points for gear and a seat, that they could serve you well. All else being equal the wider and heavier the SUP, the more stable. There is also the matter on how stable you really need it to be, going to be completely different if you paddle from a seat or kneeling in calm flatwater vs paddling standing at the beach or in larger rivers and lakes with some chop. If you can transport a solid, would probably be the easier one to learn on, and usually easier to rig gear and add attachment points. If you go inflatable, get a good one, in either case get a good paddle, doesn't take a lot of money to get one that is lightweight, comfortable, paddles smoothly, and holds up well.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I've never paddled an inflatable.
    A friend has a Vibe Cubera and I've tried it. Very stable and nice, but weighs as much as one of my kayaks.
    I think it's neat and might be an easier paddle on flat water, but I think my smaller fishing kayak (Feelfree Moken) has more uses for the same money.

Whatever you get...spend money on a good paddle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom