• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Argentine FN Hi Power

I just got in an FN Browning Hi power. Contract to Argentina and refurbed by FM in Argentina. I’m good with the Refurb and I know some give a devalue to it but for a bonus to me personally with my good friends connection to Argentina it adds value to me personally. 2 matching mags made MD compliant. I’m a happy customer of Genesis Firearms

Edit:
    From 1911 forum posts:
    "The Province of Buenos Aires ordered Hi Power pistols from FN in two contracts. The first contract is from the year 1961 when Hi Power pistols with internal extractors were supplied. In the year 1968 a follow up contract was placed with FN. At that time Hi Power pistols of the Belgian 1965 pattern were supplied, meaning equipped with external extractors. In the early 1970's the Province of Buenos Aires ordered Hi Power pistols locally made by the DGFM. All these pistols served until the mid 1990's. At that time, due to difficulties sourcing spare parts for the Hi Power pistols pertaining to the 1961 contract, the Province of Buenos Aires decided to withdraw from use the 1961 contract Hi Power pistols. As a result of this were withdrawn from use and sold as surplus. Many of the Hi Power pistols pertaining to the 1968 contract and those made in Argentina still remain in service with the Province of Buenos Aires Police, therefore are hard to find in private collections. The Hi Power pistols pertaining to the 1968 contract are coveted by Buenos Aires Police officers. I hope this information will be of interest."
    "... The Province of Buenos Aires purchased from FN around 8,000 of these pistols in the year 1961. These pistols left the Liege factory blued, with wood grip panels and no lanyard ring. Two magazines numbered to the gun were supplied. These pistols served the Buenos Aires police until the mid 1990s when they were withdrawn from service and replaced by Astra A80. Manufacture of the BHP in Argentina did not start until the year 1969. The Argentineans manufactured pistols of the Belgian Model of 1965 pattern."

From Gunboards Post:
    "Most likely Groupie's BHP is a former Buenos Aires Province police issue pistol. If this is the case, it should have an internal extractor, bear a five digit serial number whose leftmost digit is a zero, and be marked on the right side of the frame POLICIA PROV. BS.AS-61. The top of the slide should be marked with an Argentinean coat of arms inside a police badge shape. This is the coat of arms of the Buenos Aires Province police. It is understood that this pistol pertains to a 1961 Buenos Aires Province police contract that encompassed the supply of approximately 8,000 of these pistols. These psitols were made in Belgium by FN."

Argentine Secret Police markings and Crest up top.
    34059f190e1c2ba1ab552f66fb728291.jpg

0007f3bcc11810f31f06c1b76df59a77.jpg

aea0e851f0a832e6d875f4a50020c60b.jpg

4eca157cf091e77884f07680c7d3c8c8.jpg

02fc799bc4a147312aee07bba56560b5.jpg

5589b9fb9b809a797c9c1a37d08a4263.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    Very nice! Are the grips original? I used to have one that had Uncle Mike’s grips on it, presuming it was a replacement by the importer…

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Very nice! Are the grips original? I used to have one that had Uncle Mike’s grips on it, presuming it was a replacement by the importer…

Don't know but I expect during the refurb they might have replaced them to pretty them up, like the box they put it in.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Nice! When I saw the "61" marking my initial thought was "I don't think Browning was still building Hi Powers with internal extractors that late". Curiosity got me looking up the year that the external extractor was introduced. I was shocked to read that the internal extractor soldiered on until '62 so this example is one of the last with that feature. So I learned something interesting, always room for a little more knowledge in the noggin.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    We have a Ingles Hi Power or two in stock. I will get better photos posted later this week. Here's a little tease...

Attachments

• 20210803_073144.jpg
      20210803_073144.jpg
      75.7 KB · Views: 142

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Wow, that Ingles is tempting!

Took the FN Argentine marked Hi Power to the range and ran flawlessly. My powder coated reloads shot tighter groups than the FMJ reloads.
    Groups were typical as you would expect from a good self defense gun.

Jul 1, 2012
    Slide marking on a Buenos Aires Police Star P from 1948 (no crest though). I guess they got tired of the .45's (DGFM Sistema Colt, Ballester Molina, Star) as they phased out new purchases around that time frame (early 60's).

Attachments

• DSC_3797.JPG
      DSC_3797.JPG
      91.2 KB · Views: 97

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads