• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    Getting ready to throw a AR Pistol together.
    I don't need pretty, or tacticool, or whatever the SEALS are currently using. I'm looking for an upper that's super basic and cheap but works.

Accuracy isn't too terribly important as this will be CQC home defense only.

Complete upper with everything or just the upper itself and a separate barrel, either work for me.
    What suggestions do you guys have?
    Cheap..reliable..basic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    I haven't had an issue with any bear creek arsenal uppers and their customer service is decent. I honestly bought them hoping to wear/break something and learn how to service and fix ar's, but they have been holding up just fine aside from the typical loose gasblock from the lack of thread lock in the set screws.

I personally stay away from their side chargers cause I shoot lefty and their uppers are typically configured to overgas, making a rear charger + brass deflector a must for me.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The problem with PSA and BCA isn't bad breath distance accuracy, it's that their QC is garbage. I dunno about you, but if I was legitimately gonna use a gun to defend my family and home, I'd probably want something I trusted a little more. Aero would be the cheapest I'd go, personally.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    I can second both opinions l, I have an BCA AR pistol upper with probably 800 rounds through it without any issue aside from the same loose set screw in the gas block. Is it something I would want to take to combat? Definitely not if there are better options, however if that’s what you can afford than I wouldn’t have any qualms about using BCA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Any assembled upper should be carefully inspected, cleaned, and lubricated before use. Make sure everything is tight and properly aligned before mounting any accessories. BUIS are worthless when the hand guard is loose.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Aero or Ballistic Advantage, hands down. They are essentially the same company, so whatever you get a deal on between them is good to go. Same goes for Stag Arms.

There is really no reason to go lower than that given their quality to price ratio. A nitride barrel will also be vastly superior to an unlined BCA barrel in terms of longevity and corrosion resistance, even when just stored in a safe.

I'd take just about anything from PSA over BCA as well. PSA stuff gets pretty decent once you hit their premium line with FN barrels. QC has had it's ups and downs but they've gotten much better over the years. Their freedom line I would put pretty squarely alongside BCA in terms of quality and QC. I generally avoid that stuff.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The problem with PSA and BCA isn't bad breath distance accuracy, it's that their QC is garbage. I dunno about you, but if I was legitimately gonna use a gun to defend my family and home, I'd probably want something I trusted a little more. Aero would be the cheapest I'd go, personally.

This. although for similar money PSA has better parts, QC and warranty, have seen some stuff come out of BCA lately that shouldn't have if they had any form of QC. Aero and a couple other mid-tier builders get you a lot more for your money, and tend to run, QC problems do exist, but they are rare and handled quickly with good service. Better stuff like BCM, DD, Larue etc are going to be reliable by design. In any case you want to run enough ammo through any in order to make sure it runs 100%. Would also go around and check clearances and specs on the lower tier stuff, even if it reliable after a couple hundred rounds. If you build it, you have more options, good BCG, properly pinned / rockset gas block, good barrel without rough edges, burrs and a properly sized port etc. I've had great luck with Ballistic advantage or Faxon barrels in Aero uppers/handguards with nitride AO/BCM BCGs, 0 spec problems, and every build runs without issue, about the least expensive parts that I can say that for.

damosan

Feb 21, 2009
    I have a Radical 7.5" upper that I've used and abused over the last year. It seems to like the 55 grain bullets over the heavier rounds (it'll throw the heavy rounds fine...the groups aren't as tight).

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I have a Radical 7.5" upper that I've used and abused over the last year. It seems to like the 55 grain bullets over the heavier rounds (it'll throw the heavy rounds fine...the groups aren't as tight).

Many times, people forget that twist rate and length can be important when selecting ammunition. Some like heavier bullets, others do not. If you are using factory ammunition, try different brands and bullet weights before blaming inaccuracy on the maker.

New shooters often expect everything to give sub-MOA performance, and are surprised that groupings vary from outing to outing. Consistency with any particular firearm is relative to ammo, altitude, and temperature among other factors.

That said, my one BCA upper is great. Looks good, fits on any lower I choose, shoots accurately, and was a bargain when I purchased it.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The problem with PSA and BCA isn't bad breath distance accuracy, it's that their QC is garbage.

I have a three PSA uppers that have all been fine. Two of them were torn down and rebuilt in a SOTAR class so who knows how they would have been o/w. I think you are kind of rolling the dice with PSA. Maybe they will run fine, maybe not. I have been happiest with BCM, Windham Weaponry, and Aero. Well - ok Colt too.

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom