• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Property taxes have been well supported since the founding of the country.

That said, this one is much likelier to be on shaky ground.

Yeah, property is not an enumerated right.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Oi.

So we only have the rights that are spelled out in the Bill of Rights?

Ok. Got it.

Oi.

No, but having something spelled out helps.

Recall that there was argument over including the 2A because many folks involved found it preposterous that anyone would try to disarm a free man. I’d bet they had the same feeling about private property.

The 4th Amendment COULD be construed as protecting private property as you have a right to be secure in your “persons, houses, and papers”.

The 2A has been interpreted by the courts to cover home and hearth most acutely. This tells me that private property was assumed to be protected. One of the oldest legal concepts is that of property. It’s difficult to think that the Framers did anything other than underestimate the stupidity of today’s Left.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    No, but having something spelled out helps.

Recall that there was argument over including the 2A because many folks involved found it preposterous that anyone would try to disarm a free man. I’d bet they had the same feeling about private property.

The 4th Amendment COULD be construed as protecting private property as you have a right to be secure in your “persons, houses, and papers”.

The 2A has been interpreted by the courts to cover home and hearth most acutely. This tells me that private property was assumed to be protected. One of the oldest legal concepts is that of property. It’s difficult to think that the Framers did anything other than underestimate the stupidity of today’s Left.

Yes, this is true.

I'm attempting to say the Bill of Rights are a restriction, spelled out, on government instead of an inclusive set of rights given to the people.

Hence my somewhat sarcastic reply - of course we have the right to own property, even if its not explicitly allowed in the Constitution.

Government has been very successful at selling it as rights granted, not restriction on itself.

At what point in US history has this change occurred? After the Civil War? After WWI?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Government has been very successful at selling it as rights granted, not restriction on itself.

At what point in US history has this change occurred? After the Civil War? After WWI?

Even before the official formation of our government as is.

There were those who wanted a new monarchy with a sovereign ruling over us. This and the degree between that and full libertarianism were debated for weeks and months at numerous conventions for years during the formation. Had there been full agreement on what we have now, the conventions would have been mere formalities lasting no more than a couple days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom