What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If they don't work well for you, I know the Speer 50 grain will. It is a DRT bullet for Coyote sized varmints.

Likely and I’ve never used them. I can say the Sierra 55gr blitzkings are down right nasty and very accurate.

That said I’ve generally taken care of Fox with subsonic 22s. Not that I’ve shot many, only a couple. One with a quiet segmented that got away leaving some blood and never saw it again. One with a segmented subsonic CCI and it piled up not far away.

I mostly shoot ground hogs (or squirrels), which are about the same body mass I have killed quite the pile, mostly with CCI segmented quiets, one with a CCI subsonic quiet and, a few with CCI 45gr LRNHP Suppressor and several with Winchester 42gr LRNHP subsonics.

None with segmented bullets have gotten away. With the CCI and Win LRNHP the only ones that have gotten away I am fairly confident were either misses or bad hits. A couple of the “bad hits” I am pretty sure they crawled off to die. 50/50 I ever saw what I thought was the same ground hog again. Only one did I “autopsy” it and notice what looked like an old wound (definitely a bad hit, not in the vitals) where I am pretty confident it was the same one I had wounded weeks before. I look over every one I kill. But of course I could have missed signs of one being wounded.

Only 4 years I’ve been killing them. One at my old house, about half a dozen at my current house the first year, 4 last year and 2 this year so far for sure dead, toss the body in the woods. Possibly another 4-5 the last 3 years that might have crawled/ran away and died in their holes or under a shed (one I am pretty sure did die under a shed based on the smell).

Anyway. If I could I’d be shooting them all with a suppressed 223. But sure as heck can’t safely use a centerfire where I live on 5 acres. Even suppressed it would also draw some negative attention from the neighbors in a way a suppressed 22lr won’t.

CCI segmented subs seem to be the most effective on ground hogs, raccoons and fox of any 22lr I’ve tried (never shot one with a minimag, stinger, velocitor or other HV or fast LRNHP 22lr). But it makes me nervous running that through a can. CCI 45gr LRNHP suppressor is the next best, but I haven’t been able to find any through the pandemic and I have precisely 13 rounds left. Winchester 42gr works fine and I’ve got 4 boxes left. So that’s what I use.

PS I’ve shot one raccoon on the loose. Several in traps. All with various 22lr. I have shot one Fox with a .223 at about 70yds from a 20” barrel AR, using AO 55gr Sierra blitzkings. This wasn’t on my property. Not what I’d use if I was after the hide, but certainly killed it DRT. Small entrance. Shattered the ribs on the near side, pulped everything in the chest cavity, exit hole about the size of my 9yr old’s fist.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Prepping some .500 S&W magnum bang bangs

Attachments

• bang-bangs.jpg
      bang-bangs.jpg
      91.2 KB · Views: 165

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Yesterday, prepped a bunch of 5.56 brass, then loaded up some rounds for ladder testing. Did some 69gr. match pills over two powders for a recently scoped black rifle, 55gr. Spire soft points and 62 gr. bonded soft points for a black pistol, and my first cast pills for the SKS. Hoping to get out tomorrow and run them.

Until now, I have just used a general purpose load with reliable function in any of my toys being the primary objective. After finally acquiring the components, I am looking forward to smaller groups.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Loading up some 223 with 55gr vmax and h335. Been having a serious fox problem this year have lost over 30 chickens and have dispatched 5 foxes fixed on killing more. The 64gr gold dots I had been using are a little too solidly constructed for small varmints and don't seem to be expanding much...the vmax should work better on pests
    55gr vmax out of a 20" 223 over H335 is my go to for groundhogs, blows a chunk outta the back side of their head and never had a ricochet issue. I actually had one detonate on some grass right in front of a ghog one day, so I know it takes very little to get them to expand. That one was only hit with shrapnel about 2-3' behind the grass patch that I was trying to sneak the bullet through.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Still doing load workups for the 300wsm, picked up some range brass on the pistol range this morning after shooting for a while on the rifle range, that's in the wet tumbler now.

Seeking nodes, found one for sure. Trying a couple different powders to keep my supply options open.

Attachments

• IMG_4465.jpg
      IMG_4465.jpg
      10.3 KB · Views: 135

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Loaded 50 rounds of .45 200g RN with 5g Titegroup. Night before 50 rounds of 115g 9mm with 4.5g Titegroup. I normally only do 50 rounds at a time with the Lee Turret Press. Usually takes about 30 minutes. My back gets sore if I sit on a stool for much longer than that.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    This morning loaded the last of the Berry's 350 gr FNMJ with Accurate #9 with 38.5 gr. When my molds come in for the .500 I will be cranking out 350 gr hard casts to hell with the ammo shortage.

Yesterday, I met a guy who lives up the street from me via mutual friends. He said I understand you reload your ammo, I said yes. Well, he told me he had come a cross a complete reloading set made by RCBS including lots of dies, powders, cases, primers and heads.

I asked how he got the set and he told me a long time friend gave everything to him. I asked what he was going to do with it? He said he wanted to learn to reload. He came over to my house and saw how I had things set up.

We walked over to his house and has an old wood workers bench which will work great for setup. He has a beam scale which I checked calibration and he is good to go. He will be mounting his stuff this week and will go over to start lessons. I told him if he gets serious about reloading he may want to upgrade the beam to a digital scale. It looks like he has enough stuff to make some 9mm, 30/30, 223 and 30/06 rounds all of which he has rifles for.

I did notice he had a nice collection, and was surprised when I saw an FFL on his wall. He does not advertise or lists his business. I asked if he does transfers and said only for close friends and family. He offered to do transfers for me for helping him for the friends/family price. Real convenient for me.

Attachments

• .500.jpg
      .500.jpg
      67.6 KB · Views: 211

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I went back to my beam scale over digitals, it's a matter of personal preference and I can actually weigh charges faster with the beam balance vs the digital. It never fails me or needs batteries.. lol

Loaded up another 60 rounds of Berger 168 Hybrid Target in 300wsm for the upcoming practice day and LRC, another 15rds of Berger 168VLDH over W760 for more load testing and finished prepping about 500rds of 9mm range brass that I picked up the other day.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I went back to my beam scale over digitals, it's a matter of personal preference and I can actually weigh charges faster with the beam balance vs the digital. It never fails me or needs batteries.. lol

Loaded up another 60 rounds of Berger 168 Hybrid Target in 300wsm for the upcoming practice day and LRC, another 15rds of Berger 168VLDH over W760 for more load testing and finished prepping about 500rds of 9mm range brass that I picked up the other day.

For the really special ammo I use both. I’ll disperse into the electronic then trickle on the beam. I also usually make a standard reference weight. Might be a little cut bar of steel or even a projectile that I file off the tip until I get the right weight. I’ll weight several times on the beam then also on the electronic scale. When the average of say 10 measurements is what I’m looking for mark it and keep it for future loads. I’ll use the same reference when I calibrate both scales before starting a load batch. This also works great when you want to spot check your process during A batch.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD

I have both beam and digital scales use both, the beam scale has been calibrated to .5 grains. I actually used a beam scale for 30 years until da wife bought me a digital 5 years ago. I have calibration weights from 100 grains down to .1 grains. When the big one hits a beam scale never fails.

Gravity never goes bad or breaks.
    I only use a beam scale and I have calibration/confirmation weights to go with it.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I looked at my bench cause I need to reload 9mm. did not even realize that I'm low on my casted Powder coated 9mm.
    Being out of town most weekends, my loft has become a total mess. Need to spend some weeknights cleaning and organizing.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    I have both beam and digital scales use both, the beam scale has been calibrated to .5 grains. I actually used a beam scale for 30 years until da wife bought me a digital 5 years ago. I have calibration weights from 100 grains down to .1 grains. When the big one hits a beam scale never fails.

Have both also...but it's the beams for me old Lyman M5's, RCBS / Ohaus 10-10's some "tuned" by Scott Parker, mainly the M5's, accurate and repeatable,
    do have check weights to double check....

-Rock

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    This discussion is kinda funny to me, personally.

Your competition load: meticulously hand-prepared single-manufacturer cases trimmed on a Wilson trimmer, weighed for powder capacity, trickled powder onto hand-tweaked balance beam scales, hand-seated primers, and the most precise press for zero run out.

My competition load: load in whatever components are cheap, and MARK7 EVO AND DILLON 650 GO BRRRRRR. It chambers and it's 2-3 MOA? SEND IT.

Like, I'm all in favor of improving accuracy and consistency when possible, but there's a whole paradigm assumption that goes with many of these discussions.

This discussion is kinda funny to me, personally.

Your competition load: meticulously hand-prepared single-manufacturer cases trimmed on a Wilson trimmer, weighed for powder capacity, trickled powder onto hand-tweaked balance beam scales, hand-seated primers, and the most precise press for zero run out.

My competition load: load in whatever components are cheap, and MARK7 EVO AND DILLON 650 GO BRRRRRR. It chambers and it's 2-3 MOA? SEND IT.

Like, I'm all in favor of improving accuracy and consistency when possible, but there's a whole paradigm assumption that goes with many of these discussions.

Huge difference between a precision load and a competition load. I pump out ~350rph of 9mm for my competition loads. I load ~20rph of Creedmoor and Grendel loads for Peacemaker trips. Shooting 2-3 MOA at 1000yds? Might as well stay home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom