• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Don't worry, the same MD Democrats who call for more gun control are already protesting the governor's call for harsher prison sentences.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...-operation-seven-sentries-20180221-story.html

Too early to say whether will have a long term impact. There are still 6800 people with warrants out there. It also depends on how many stay behind bars permanently. Why we are paying room and board I don't know. Bring back the death penalty.

Keep in mind most of the 6800 remaining are likely for things like ignored summons and unpaid fines, not violent crimes or even property crimes.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I guess I've gotten so accustomed to seeing negative things lately. I initially read the title as being sarcastic and was hesitant to click on it at first, thinking, "oh great. What's happened now? :rolleyes: Is he saying something we won't like about magazines and crime?" But...I guess this is actualy a good thing? :shrug: I don't even remember how to handle that...

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Now we know why the murders slowed for a bit. Now that these guys have all likely been released pending trial it's back to business as usual.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    7000 are probably for failure to respond to court on misd Charges

From the OP linked article:

The operation from Jan. 16 to Feb. 15 targeted violent offenders wanted on warrants. Marshals narrowed a Baltimore police list of 7,200 open warrants down to 400 offenders with violent histories.

So 400 had at least one prior. That means a bunch more were probably for violent crimes but didn't have a record.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    The problem is there aren't enough spaces in jail to lock up all the offenders. We learned that in the previous administration. I suspect the judges are looking at prison space available and making triage determinations.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    From the OP linked article:

So 400 had at least one prior. That means a bunch more were probably for violent crimes but didn't have a record.

I read it the opposite way. Out of 7,200 open warrants, LE targeted the serious ones. Most of the rest are probably bench warrants for failure to appear on minor charges, as mpdc4511 said.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    and/or how many are out and about because they were released with little to no bond or released "early" for whatever reason. put, and keep, the violent criminals in jail and see what that does for violent crime before you infringe on the 2a rights of actual law-abiding citizens.

This is exactly the argument that we clear sighted Patriots see with 20/20 or better vision, while knee jerk reactions to school/Vegas/ etc shooting crimes onl see gun grab legislation as the solution.

THERE are already tons of laws meant to address the CRIME and Criminal, but when it comes to preventing the violent act or punishing the offender to fit his crime always gets watered down to the point of uselessness.

Didn't that Florida shooter already have red flags on him swept under the rug by people who could have stopped it? Or isn't this politically sexy enough to boost the rating of the gun grab libs?

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Judges arent the only part of the problem equation. You also have states attorney's who refuse to prosecute or plea deal away all but the least severe charges, if they they charge them at all.
    I actually talked to a former Baltimore SA about this. Part of the issue is that the citizens distrust the police in Baltimore so much, they have a very hard time convincing a jury to convict. So unless they have rock solid tangible evidence, they dont even bother wasting the time and money anymore. Anything that relies on testimony of police is more or less a no go

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    By no means am I saying that its right, but it definitely gave me a new perspective on it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I actually talked to a former Baltimore SA about this. Part of the issue is that the citizens distrust the police in Baltimore so much, they have a very hard time convincing a jury to convict. So unless they have rock solid tangible evidence, they dont even bother wasting the time and money anymore. Anything that relies on testimony of police is more or less a no go

Which is unfortunate, but then again when you have cases like the Baltimore officers convicted or pleading guilty of stealing money and drugs from suspects and in some cases, probably innocent people (most probably were criminals or ex-criminals, but everyone deserves their rights).

Kind of doesn't surprise. Especially because it was, what? 6 or 7 officers? But there are another suspected 10-20 officers likely involved.

Oh and the case of the BPD officer caught staging evidence on his body camera (supposedly recreating his discovery. Yeah, maybe).

When you've got no trust of the police and for good reasons, that is one of the results.

yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    Which is unfortunate, but then again when you have cases like the Baltimore officers convicted or pleading guilty of stealing money and drugs from suspects and in some cases, probably innocent people (most probably were criminals or ex-criminals, but everyone deserves their rights).

Kind of doesn't surprise. Especially because it was, what? 6 or 7 officers? But there are another suspected 10-20 officers likely involved.

Oh and the case of the BPD officer caught staging evidence on his body camera (supposedly recreating his discovery. Yeah, maybe).

When you've got no trust of the police and for good reasons, that is one of the results.

This.

So maybe 30 officers are pretty much KNOWN to be implicated in just THIS scandal.

There are other scandals no one knows about yet. Assume those have similar numbers of involvement.

Extrapolate those numbers to the rest of the force.

That means it's statically likely that up to 10% of the Baltimore police departments 3,000 officers are regularly engaged in criminal activity. 300 crooked cops.

How many more aren't crooked but look the other way? 40%? 50%? More?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom