• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    from your link above, below is for the new st john's rock area:

A full-size rock crawl area for four-wheel drive vehicles.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Years ago I used to run my 4X4 Chevy P/U on the Poplar Lick trail just south of New Gremany state park, but it has long since been closed to vehicular traffic. From what I'm reading it says 2 and 4 wheel vehicles. Call the numbers listed for each appropriate state forest headquarters would be the best bet.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Years ago I used to run my 4X4 Chevy P/U on the Poplar Lick trail just south of New Gremany state park, but it has long since been closed to vehicular traffic. From what I'm reading it says 2 and 4 wheel vehicles. Call the numbers listed for each appropriate state forest headquarters would be the best bet.

Loved driving Poplar Lick back in the day. Had a Ford Bronco II back there in the 80's and 90's and an Explorer there at least around 2001 or 2002. Even drove back there a few times in the 80's to hunt deer. I know I last drove my kids on it when camping in the area some years back...I guessing perhaps 12 - 15 years ago. Then 6 or 8 years ago I intended to pay it a visit with my F150, and it was closed. When did they completely close it, Buff? Do you know?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Likewise poplar lick . Drove the trail. Went hiking side trail. Went hunting in vicinity. All back in the day of course.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Likewise poplar lick . Drove the trail. Went hiking side trail. Went hunting in vicinity. All back in the day of course.

was that the one with all the stream crossings? that was a fun little trail, did it a buncha times will all the nieces and nephews on various dirt bikes and quads.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Loved driving Poplar Lick back in the day. Had a Ford Bronco II back there in the 80's and 90's and an Explorer there at least around 2001 or 2002. Even drove back there a few times in the 80's to hunt deer. I know I last drove my kids on it when camping in the area some years back...I guessing perhaps 12 - 15 years ago. Then 6 or 8 years ago I intended to pay it a visit with my F150, and it was closed. When did they completely close it, Buff? Do you know?

I'm not really sure when it closed for good, but I'm thinking its closure had something to do with native brook trout in the stream and the several crossing that were on the trail, plus I think a select few would try to break new trails off the main trail and that was a definately no no.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I'm not really sure when it closed for good, but I'm thinking its closure had something to do with native brook trout in the stream and the several crossing that were on the trail, plus I think a select few would try to break new trails off the main trail and that was a definately no no.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Brook trout did play some role, but the official excuse I heard from some Park personnel was that ATVs were not only running up and down the ORV trail, but also just about anywhere they took a notion to go causing erosion and related issues. Guess that's what you meant by breaking new trails.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    This is interesting. I just bought a FJ Cruiser and I am getting the itch to take it off-road. i will have to make some calls to see if these are options.

Kyler

Apr 4, 2016
    Keedysville
    St John's Rock only has a rock crawl for 4x4 vehicles. The road is blah but you can drive it. The trails are okay for a side0by-side but pretty tight and rough--lots of rocks.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

I noticed a lot of those Brookie streams have become protected/no kill now so your hunch could be legitimate. Monroe Run is another one(used to backpack and flyfish it myself).

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Brook trout did play some role, but the official excuse I heard from some Park personnel was that ATVs were not only running up and down the ORV trail, but also just about anywhere they took a notion to go causing erosion and related issues. Guess that's what you meant by breaking new trails.

Yep that's the trail breakers.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I noticed a lot of those Brookie streams have become protected/no kill now so your hunch could be legitimate. Monroe Run is another one(used to backpack and flyfish it myself).

Yep there's a pile of little tributaries that are full of those little buggers and the state is doing what they have to do to protect them, I just don't understand why the no natural bait rule is in effect in places like Savage River . Ok thread Jack over from my end.:D

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    This is interesting. I just bought a FJ Cruiser and I am getting the itch to take it off-road. i will have to make some calls to see if these are options.

4Runner owner here. We off-road at GWNF (free) and then there are places like Rausch Creek that are pay to play. We are also a part of an October 4Runner group (doesn't have to be all 4Runners, it just originates on a 4Runner forum t4r.org) at the Cove in Gore, VA. Also pay to play, but a lot of fun. Hit me up if you ever want to try and get together.

Same thing to OP. Always good to meet new people and get out on the trails!

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    4Runner owner here. We off-road at GWNF (free) and then there are places like Rausch Creek that are pay to play. We are also a part of an October 4Runner group (doesn't have to be all 4Runners, it just originates on a 4Runner forum t4r.org) at the Cove in Gore, VA. Also pay to play, but a lot of fun. Hit me up if you ever want to try and get together.

Same thing to OP. Always good to meet new people and get out on the trails!

I appreciate the offer and the knowledge that this is an option. Both of those are likely more than I would take on at this point in time. I just figured the Western MD stuff would be good because I go up there a couple of times a year.

I just got this FJ so I have a lot of reading to do. There are too many forums and not enough time. Right now I am trying to find the right wheels/tires/head unit among all the other accessories that I want/need.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I wasn't going to be the first to say it, but a lot more opportunities outside of Md.

GWNF.
    Plenty of WV's minimally maintained "regular" County roads are gnarlier than designated 4x4 tails .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom