• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Anyone know if there's anywhere in the area that rents portable sawmills? I've got several spruce trees inn my property that got hit hard by bag worms and have all but given up the ghost. I'd prefer to use them in a duck boat project than just burn them but don't have a mill. Thanks in advance!

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    You'll probably have to take them to a mill. Or possibly have someone with a portable sawmill come out to your property. I've never heard of a sawmill that you can rent, that would be worth renting.

Good luck!

Nottherealfranco

MD Escapee
    Sep 24, 2014
    If you have a big enough chainsaw, they do make "chainsaw mills" that are essentially jigs you mount a chainsaw to and cut through the tree. It's not as precise as a dedicated mill, and there's lots of dust, but if you simply need rough cuts to reduce size it might be worth your while.

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    If you have a big enough chainsaw, they do make "chainsaw mills" that are essentially jigs you mount a chainsaw to and cut through the tree. It's not as precise as a dedicated mill, and there's lots of dust, but if you simply need rough cuts to reduce size it might be worth your while.

And if you use one of these "alaskan sawmills" as my FIL calls it, use a sharp and at least medium aggressive chain. I tried using a green-dot Stihl chain, barf! It took forever and the cuts were rough. Switched to a yellow-dot Stihl chain, cuts were cleaner and way easier.

-John

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    And if you use one of these "alaskan sawmills" as my FIL calls it, use a sharp and at least medium aggressive chain. I tried using a green-dot Stihl chain, barf! It took forever and the cuts were rough. Switched to a yellow-dot Stihl chain, cuts were cleaner and way easier.

-John

Yeah, that's why I was looking into renting one of the band-saw type mills if it was possible. I had some huge trunk pieces leftover from where the power company took a spruce down a few years ago. Too big to split by hand as a whole, but if I cut them in half, they'd be easy enough. Going with the grain with a chainsaw to cut them into workable pieces took forever and dulled the chain pretty quickly.

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    Yeah, that's why I was looking into renting one of the band-saw type mills if it was possible. I had some huge trunk pieces leftover from where the power company took a spruce down a few years ago. Too big to split by hand as a whole, but if I cut them in half, they'd be easy enough. Going with the grain with a chainsaw to cut them into workable pieces took forever and dulled the chain pretty quickly.

I cut a few walnut logs that were 18" in diameter, and my chain didn't noticeably dull, FWIW. That was on the more aggressive yellow chain. I believe that a more aggressive chain would've made your work faster & easier.

-John

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis