• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    First it was the FN SLP, then the M2. I watched the 3GN final 16, and noticed quite a few using the a Browning A5; anyone have any idea why they're suddenly showing up in the hands of the champions? I don't know anything about them, other than I drooled over the original A5's at the local sporting goods store when I was a kid. Aren't the new ones made in Turkey?

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    No port loading is the biggest plus. If you shoot it dry, it will put the round in the chamber automatically from the bottom load port. If you never make a mistake it doesn't matter:D

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Same reason why a lot of the old guys used the Browning Gold in the early 3G days because all the shotguns built by FN have that feature, the so-called auto-loading 1st round feature. Benellis and the rest don't have that. Even the Win SX-2/3 which is also the same gun as the FN SLP and Browning Gold does not have that feature (so people shooting the Win SX used to buy a Browning action assembly to get the feature into their guns). And yes if you can count rounds and don't run dry its a moot point.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    Maybe it's just me but years ago when I used an A5 in the Chevy Team Challenge I found it faster to throw a round in the ejection port and hit the bolt release than fumble a round into the loading port under the receiver.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    Unless you have a "shot saver" mounted up top I would always feeder to at least "load two" even on a single target...... I'm only a year into the sport and still on a steep learning curve. I DQ'd myself 2x this year thing my A5 was empty and I bunkered it both times with a round in the mag tube and not on safe.....:sad20:

Jimmmy1111

Feb 25, 2008
    Joppa,Harford Co.
    10522363_817748474959679_2032715842779276777_n.png

howard762

York Match Director
    Feb 2, 2012
    Stewartstown PA
    You're the man Jimmy!

Autoloading never pinches your fingers no matter how far into the bottom you have them. Don't put them in the ejection port though. Oh, that's right, no reason to do that.

Autoloading is about a second and a half faster than port loading. Two of my friends who shoot 3GN on a national level found that out trying to prove there was no advantage to an A5. Both of them ended up buying A5s eventually by the way.

The A5 is light, completely reliable and points well.

Counting as you load is a great idea, but somehow when the clock is running simple tasks become much more difficult. Sometime you have to run your gun dry. When you do it with an A5 you don't lose anything. At Blue Ridge this year I did it several times on purpose to transition from shot to slugs or vice versa, just so I could be absolutely sure what was loaded next. You can't do that with most guns without losing time.

Try one, you'll like it. Come to York. We have plenty of them around and we're always willing to share.

Last edited:

RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel
    You're the man Jimmy!

Autoloading never pinches your fingers no matter how far into the bottom you have them. Don't put them in the ejection port though. Oh, that's right, no reason to do that.

Autoloading is about a second and a half faster than port loading. Two of my friends who shoot 3GN on a national level found that out trying to prove there was no advantage to an A5. Both of them ended up buying A5s eventually by the way.

The A5 is light, completely reliable and points well.

Counting as you load is a great idea, but somehow when the clock is running simple tasks become much more difficult. Sometime you have to run your gun dry. When you do it with an A5 you don't lose anything. At Blue Ridge this year I did it several times on purpose to transition from shot to slugs or vice versa, just so I could be absolutely sure what was loaded next. You can't do that with most guns without losing time.

Try one, you'll like it. Come to York. We have plenty of them around and we're always willing to share.

H,
    Just curious, does the A5 have a 3 gun model? If not, what do you start with and what mods have you done to bring it up to the 3G level.
    Thanks

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    Front sight +9 Nordic tube/clamp with QD socket. Holds 13 when full 12 if you don't change the follower Mines a 26" barrel, if you get a 28" the long tube isn't so offset. H gave me the parts list right after i got it. Front sight is Tom Knapp but i cant remember the rear one.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      87.3 KB · Views: 1,358

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    Broncolou,

What did the total cost run with mods?

Thanks
    I shopped and got the gun delivered to my dealer for $1200ish with tax
    Tube kit was $80 plus $60ish for the clamp/QD/follower
    Sights were $40 plus $35 to get the rib cut
    I did the receiver cut in 4 stages myself(obviously voids the warranty)
    I removed the Lifter and had a friend tig weld on a short extension (prob not needed)
    $10 for the rear QD sockets and I installed myself
    Almost $1450.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom