• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    It's the new polio(related to polio)...shit is cropping up everywhere. I've heard Indiana, Colorado, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, and my nephew in MD has it. We are praying that he has reached the worst of it. He is currently paraylized, but docs think he will walk again based on nerve activity. He coded today, but they were able to get him back. They said ventilator for 24 hrs. I pray he can breath on his own after that. They think it starts from the enterovirus "EN-D68." It's just a respiratory virus that they think causes it. There is currently no known treatment...they just take it case by case. Look it up...familiarize yourself with the symptoms. Get the kid to Hopkins right away if you think it's possible. It seems like all aren't suseptible. He is 9 and his little brother, 7, had a bug too, but it passed. It must be based on the immune system's response to it. Don't mean to start a panic, but look it up. No treatment but early has to be better than later. Thanks for reading!

Very sorry to hear that. Best of luck to your nephew. I’ve been reading about it and yeah, it sounds like something that we’re normally exposed to when young but it appears it might have taken on a nasty mutation that’s causing an increased specific virulence. It’s a shame it’s hitting kids at such a time when they should be enjoying the experience of youth. Polio vaccine was enormously effective so hopefully they can ID this thing quickly and develop an equally effective vaccine.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    (Also, and this is a well-intended aside, OP - PLEASE CORRECT THE TITLE for this thread as the correct spelling for this serious medical condition includes the word, “flaccid” WITH 2 “c”s (people who know what the urban term ‘flacid’ means* and who genuinely are not aware of this terrible disease may pass the thread up as a result (I know I passed over it last night, when skimming thread topics ... just a well-intended suggestion)

What is the urban definition? I don't want to google it from my company computer or phone.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Amazing how these strange diseases morph out of nowhere seemingly. Best wishes for the full recovery of your nephew. In about 11 minutes, I'll hoist a 5 PM martini in his honor.

Right, start somewhere and just keep spreading.

I'd guess most of us are are exposed to lots of crappy stuff daily except it wasn't enough or our imminune systems nuked it before we felt it.

I dunno, beside maybe once or twice a year puking up a meal I just ate, I haven't been sick or felt ill enough that made me seek medical attention in at least 13 years or so now.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Right, start somewhere and just keep spreading.

I'd guess most of us are are exposed to lots of crappy stuff daily except it wasn't enough or our imminune systems nuked it before we felt it.

I dunno, beside maybe once or twice a year puking up a meal I just ate, I haven't been sick or felt ill enough that made me seek medical attention in at least 13 years or so now.

We live in a literal soup of biological material. It’s surprising it doesn’t happen more often.
    ———————
    “**In each cubic meter of air, there are between 1.6 million and 40 million viruses.

**In each cubic meter of air, there are between 860,000 and 11 million bacteria.”

Given that we breathe roughly .01 cubic meters of air each minute, a simple calculation based on these results suggests we breathe in a few hundred thousand viruses every minute.”
    ———————

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/l...sfh-not-safe-for-hypochondriacs/#.W-XF3BpOmhA

You don’t even want to know what’s in a drop of sea water when you go to the beach.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Very sorry to hear that. Best of luck to your nephew. I’ve been reading about it and yeah, it sounds like something that we’re normally exposed to when young but it appears it might have taken on a nasty mutation that’s causing an increased specific virulence. It’s a shame it’s hitting kids at such a time when they should be enjoying the experience of youth. Polio vaccine was enormously effective so hopefully they can ID this thing quickly and develop an equally effective vaccine.
    In addition to enterovirus D68 (or a mutant derivative of it), cosaviruses are also popping up in these patients at somewhat higher levels than their presence in the general population (and people not suffering from AFM). Both of these members of the picornavirus family are prevalent in human populations not exhibiting disease, so something else is contributing (mutant strain of either virus), different virus altogether, another disease cofactor, etc.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    In addition to enterovirus D68 (or a mutant derivative of it), cosaviruses are also popping up in these patients at somewhat higher levels than their presence in the general population (and people not suffering from AFM). Both of these members of the picornavirus family are prevalent in human populations not exhibiting disease, so something else is contributing (mutant strain of either virus), different virus altogether, another disease cofactor, etc.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Interesting. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom