• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Have a 7.5" Ruger Blackhawk convertible with both Colt and ACP cylinders. I was intrigued by the 45 Super and decided to give them a try. Buffalo Bore and Underwood ammo were tried and the 230 gr GoldDot load from Underwood gave really decent accuracy at 30 yards, so I am gonna give them a try this year. I truly love handgun hunting and this will add a new wrinkle this year. Anybody else fool with the 45 Super?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I run it in autos, it's awesome, stretches 45 a good bit bringing it up to equal 10mm power, 460Rowland even more so.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    I think it should do pretty well. My shots will be fairly close and I'm getting ~1200 fps from the long barrel. Pretty neat round.

RedneckGeek

Feb 28, 2018
    Worcester Co
    I have one of the original Springfield Armory V16 in .45 Super from the factory. With the 200 gr JHP from Triton I was getting 1350+ fps from the 6" barrel and from a stable rest was capable of putting all seven from the magazine in a 10" circle at 50 yds. Sadly Triton no longer exists and neither the Buffalo Bore nor the Underwood 200 gr JHP are quite as accurate.

Before I moved from Michigan with this pistol I had put 12 deer in the freezer. The longest shot was 42 yds with the Triton and she dropped like a stone. I keep my shots under 30 now with the Buffalo Bore. With the 255 gr FN from Buffalo Bore 3 feral pigs and a black bear were also harvested.

The .45 Super is a very under appreciated cartridge. Fired from the same length barrels it will out preform the 10mm. I love it and carried that pistol when I went to Alaska as well as concealed when I lived in Michigan. I haven't the opportunity to use it here in Maryland yet, but rest assured it will be in a couple more days.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    I have one of the original Springfield Armory V16 in .45 Super from the factory. With the 200 gr JHP from Triton I was getting 1350+ fps from the 6" barrel and from a stable rest was capable of putting all seven from the magazine in a 10" circle at 50 yds. Sadly Triton no longer exists and neither the Buffalo Bore nor the Underwood 200 gr JHP are quite as accurate.

Before I moved from Michigan with this pistol I had put 12 deer in the freezer. The longest shot was 42 yds with the Triton and she dropped like a stone. I keep my shots under 30 now with the Buffalo Bore. With the 255 gr FN from Buffalo Bore 3 feral pigs and a black bear were also harvested.

The .45 Super is a very under appreciated cartridge. Fired from the same length barrels it will out preform the 10mm. I love it and carried that pistol when I went to Alaska as well as concealed when I lived in Michigan. I haven't the opportunity to use it here in Maryland yet, but rest assured it will be in a couple more days.

I bought a couple of boxes of similar load from Underwood, but haven't shot them yet. Any details on what I bolded above; shot distances/angles/where hit/etc.? Trying to learn. And good luck this year with it; post if you have success. Thanks!

RedneckGeek

Feb 28, 2018
    Worcester Co
    Two of the hogs and the bear were right around 20-25 yds and I was intending to hit the shoulders. The third hog was facing me.

I don't remember all the details but it took 3 shots to put the bear down. One shoulder was destroyed, but it failed to penetrate to the other side.

All of the hogs took a single shot and ran about 50 yds before they went down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom