• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Scope, breech plug, primers and BH209 are in hand. Of course now I am sick as hell. Fun times. Hopefully the shims still come in time. Hoping to hit the range Monday. Tuesday at the latest.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    A .02” shim brought the firing pin bushing level with the breech face. Not sure there is any primer crush going on. Visually it appears like there is none, but I can’t find my damn calipers.

Will take the shims with me to the range, but I will see if it is good to go now. So shimmed, have new scope and have BH 209 plug in and Bh 209 powder for the range tomorrow.

I am also going to check the scope ring screws to see if they are too tight or not (they are certainly not too loose).

I am going to start with a 3 shot group and see if it’ll group at all. Then adjust the POI to zero it. If the groups start flying or I have an issue with getting it adjusted, on will go the new scope.

I’ll add shims and/or play with powder charge if swapping on the new scope doesn’t solve it. I should have 4 or 5 hours to work on it. I’ve got enough powder for around 60 shots. I’d like to think I can get this solved in that number and still leave me a few for hunting.

TrappedinMD

Dec 15, 2011
    Western MD
    One thing that will definitely improve accuracy is to weight your charges. Measure out your normal charge by volume and then weight it. Then use the scale to weight out all future charges to match that weight. FWIW my wolf shoots 1.5" 3 shot groups at 100 now with 58 grains by weight of Blackhorn 209 (80 grains by volume).

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    This makes me very happy. Ignore the left one. That was cold bore right as a 20mph gust hit me. Of course I can’t tell exactly what improved things as I changed the breech plug to a BH209 plug, added a .02” firing pin bushing shim (still getting blow by, but less), loosened and retorqued my scope screws and I am using CCI magnum primers.

Have to try at 100 once I give it 15 minutes to cool, but unless it is badly off or starts spraying them, I am no F-ing with a good thing. Better accuracy than a number of my center fires can do.

Of course only one group...but still optimistic.

Attachments

• 9607A28F-DCB4-49AA-8632-BCD2777914A0.jpg
      9607A28F-DCB4-49AA-8632-BCD2777914A0.jpg
      75.9 KB · Views: 223

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Continuing to be good. I wonder if I need to look at the sabots or heavier charges (sabot not hitting enough air friction and seperating fast enough).

In this 4 shot group the flier is 3rd shot. I visiuall saw the sabot fly out, up and to the right. It landed 10 feet right and about 40 feet from my bench where the rest from this session have been making a human sized circle straight out from my bench.

Still, 3” isn’t terrible and that has been the only rogue shot so far. My first shot on a deer has been 80yds. So...

After the pic I stacked 2 more in that group after running one patch (first one this range session) through and letting it cool 10 minutes to see if it would impact the main group. Ignoring the 1 flier, less than 1.5” group of 5 rounds.

This group was at 100yds.

Attachments

• F60DFAA6-A559-46BD-A294-E8ADF3E2B753.jpg
      F60DFAA6-A559-46BD-A294-E8ADF3E2B753.jpg
      72.4 KB · Views: 211

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Worked out! Took a 5-pt early muzzleloader. Single lung and heart hit. Right where I was aiming!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Good deal! I’m getting ready to sight in the Optima V2 I just got tomorrow. Hoping to get into the Woods Wednesday night.

Good luck. I am going to try to get out for a day or a couple of half days in november. Otherwise I will end up hunting the end of early gun season, probably out in Greenridge again, the late gun season out on the Eastern shore and maybe a day of late ML.

I could be wrong, but I am expecting to get 50-60lbs back out of the buck I harvested. With my family, that is most of a year of venison. And I still have probably 20lbs left from the deer I harvested last year. So any other deer are a bonus, a reason to eat extra venison (can’t complain there!) and probably giving some away.

A 3rd deer is basically giving most of it away (not stupid, I’d always keep the back strap). I get much more relaxed about hunting after I’ve already gotten one deer for the season. Especially a good sized one like this 5-pt (2 1/2yr old, big for his age).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom