• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I do something similar but without the flashlight. I use a piece of paracord hanging about 50yds away as a plumb line for leveling the reticle to the leveled action. Trying to use the turret with a bubble level is about as good as eyeing it up.

TheRussianNightmare

Sep 17, 2012
    I do something similar but without the flashlight. I use a piece of paracord hanging about 50yds away as a plumb line for leveling the reticle to the leveled action. Trying to use the turret with a bubble level is about as good as eyeing it up.

Me too. The flashlight method can be done indoors, which is a plus. Pretty cool

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    I set up a stepladder with a plum bob hanging through the center. I use a digital level to level the rifle.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Who would have thunk...

Definitely going to try this on my next build.

It works. Chad showed me this trick a few years ago.

The reticle is not always level to the body. If it is the Arisaka Scope Level Kit works great.

If the reticle is not level to the scope body then a small machinist level (To level the GUN), a plumb bob, and a flashlight will do it.

scope-level.jpg

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/02/16/easy-diy-method-for-leveling-a-scope-reticle/

Spend $45 on a good Starrett 4” machinist level.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Over the years I have mounted a few scopes using levels with good results. After seeing this video, I decided to check two that I have mounted recently and to my surprise, both were slightly off.

I made the necessary adjustments using the method in the video and am reasonably certain they are now perfectly square on the rifles.

Thanks OP for posting it.:thumbsup:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The problem is, that makes the scope square to the rifle. BUT, when you are shooting, you may be canting the rifle, which cants the scope.

What you WANT is to square the scope to the world, in your normal shooting hold, NOT the rifle.

Search, there are a number of threads on this topic.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    The problem is, that makes the scope square to the rifle. BUT, when you are shooting, you may be canting the rifle, which cants the scope.

What you WANT is to square the scope to the world, in your normal shooting hold, NOT the rifle.

The scope should be squared to the rifle. The rifle shouldn't be canted while shooting. If it is then the shooter needs to adjust themselves and implement the proper fundamentals. A scope not squared to the rifle throws off all calculations.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland

Huh?

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012

I'd prefer to get the rifle and scope square to each other, and use an external level to make sure cant is not an issue when I shoot. Vortex has a good one:

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-1-inch-riflescope-tube-bubble-level

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The scope should be squared to the rifle. The rifle shouldn't be canted while shooting. If it is then the shooter needs to adjust themselves and implement the proper fundamentals. A scope not squared to the rifle throws off all calculations.

I guess you have never seen David Tubbs shoot. Depending on your body, you may NOT be able to square the rifle to the world.

And your last sentence is wrong.

As long at the reticle is square to the world when you shoot, you can have the rifle canted 90 degrees and the calcs still work.

Square to the rifle does NOTHING for you.

This has been discussed many times here on MDS as well as Sniper's Hide.

Wait for Ed to show up. :)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Posted by Clandestine in a previous thread:

Todd Hodnett teaches Snipers and says Crosshairs don't have to be perfectly level to the weapon, they have to be level to the world. He shoots .308 well past the normal accepted limitations for the round.

There are other threads with similar posts.

I have also posted showing the max windage error based on having the cross hairs not directly above the bore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom