Go Back   Maryland Shooters > General > Gun Shows
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 11th, 2019, 10:31 PM #1
Slim Slim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: HoCo
Posts: 116
Images: 6
Slim Slim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: HoCo
Posts: 116
Images: 6
Anyone sell at gun shows?

I’m sure we’ve got some MDShooters IPs/Dealers who set up tables, but I’m wondering about “Hobby Shooters” like me.

I have several boxes of military/tactical/LE equipment in my storage unit, above and beyond what I need. Plus the usual assortment of AR15 accessories - grips, stocks, handguards, slings, etc. I need to unload it.

Anyone ever sell their own stuff at a gun show? Was/is it worth it? Did you make any money? Break even? Lose money? Wondering if I’m better off trying to sell at a gun show, vs. eBay, CraigsList, MDS Classifies, ARFCOM Equipment Exchange, etc.

Or maybe I should just dump it all at Goodwill and be done with it...
Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 11:11 PM #2
Bullfrog's Avatar
Bullfrog Bullfrog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Carroll County
Posts: 2,350
Images: 2
Bullfrog Bullfrog is offline
Senior Member
Bullfrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Carroll County
Posts: 2,350
Images: 2
The classifieds are free, it would only take a bit of effort to group some stuff together and see if it sells.

I would go that route before paying for a table and carrying totes of stuff out of my house, into the show, and vice versa when the show is over.

G/L
Bullfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 11:56 PM #3
HeatSeeker's Avatar
HeatSeeker HeatSeeker is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,819
HeatSeeker HeatSeeker is offline
Senior Member
HeatSeeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,819
I have done it several times with ammo, firearms, mags, collectibles..... and made good money. IIRC tables at Timonium and HoCo were roughly $75. I have set up at the big antique arms show in Timonium twice and made some nice cash also. Those tables are not easy to get and are more money. It is also usually an enjoyable weekend too.
__________________
HeatSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2019, 12:10 AM #4
Bean Guy's Avatar
Bean Guy Bean Guy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Eldersburg
Posts: 372
Bean Guy Bean Guy is offline
Member
Bean Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Eldersburg
Posts: 372
Selling at a gun show can be a lot of fun. You'll need to pay for one table and be there both Saturday and Sunday, figure out how you will take bathroom, lunch breaks and the like. Have a friend join you, and when it is slow you can take a look at all the other tables. Be prepared for lots of lookey loos, bargain hunters, guys who just want to talk, etc.
Bean Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2019, 12:37 AM #5
Scrounger Scrounger is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 25
Scrounger Scrounger is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 25
Depending on what you have and what your time is worth will determine if it is worth it. If you have quality things and don’t try to sell for more than retail, it will probably sell. If possible, try to set up on Friday for shows that are Saturday and Sunday. Make sure you have a table covering for the table. It helps to have everything in totes or large boxes for transport. A cart or hand truck is quite useful. Some promoters provide chairs, if they don’t, bring one. If you are soloing it, bring a cooler with food and drink. One of the side benefits is vendors will often give discounts to other vendors, so you can add to your stuff.
Scrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2019, 10:40 AM #6
Slim Slim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: HoCo
Posts: 116
Images: 6
Slim Slim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: HoCo
Posts: 116
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
The classifieds are free, it would only take a bit of effort to group some stuff together and see if it sells.

I would go that route before paying for a table and carrying totes of stuff out of my house, into the show, and vice versa when the show is over.
Good point, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatSeeker View Post
I have done it several times with ammo, firearms, mags, collectibles..... and made good money. IIRC tables at Timonium and HoCo were roughly $75. I have set up at the big antique arms show in Timonium twice and made some nice cash also. Those tables are not easy to get and are more money. It is also usually an enjoyable weekend too.
Spending a weekend on it doesn’t sound like a bad deal in the winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Guy View Post
Selling at a gun show can be a lot of fun. You'll need to pay for one table and be there both Saturday and Sunday, figure out how you will take bathroom, lunch breaks and the like. Have a friend join you, and when it is slow you can take a look at all the other tables. Be prepared for lots of lookey loos, bargain hunters, guys who just want to talk, etc.
Haha, almost goes without saying at a gun show, right?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrounger View Post
Depending on what you have and what your time is worth will determine if it is worth it. If you have quality things and don’t try to sell for more than retail, it will probably sell. If possible, try to set up on Friday for shows that are Saturday and Sunday. Make sure you have a table covering for the table. It helps to have everything in totes or large boxes for transport. A cart or hand truck is quite useful. Some promoters provide chairs, if they don’t, bring one. If you are soloing it, bring a cooler with food and drink. One of the side benefits is vendors will often give discounts to other vendors, so you can add to your stuff.
Excellent advice, except the part about adding to my stuff. Every time I go to get something out of storage, I hear George Carlin doing his hilarious rant about “stuff”

Thanks for all the wisdom so far. Maybe I’ll try to find someone local on the Classfieds first.
Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2019, 10:45 AM #7
Ammo Jon's Avatar
Ammo Jon Ammo Jon is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,190
Ammo Jon Ammo Jon is offline
Ammo Jon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,190
If you want to go to a show find a few guys looking to do the same and split a table or hit up some of the local smaller shows.
Ammo Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2019, 10:54 AM #8
Slim Slim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: HoCo
Posts: 116
Images: 6
Slim Slim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: HoCo
Posts: 116
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammo Jon View Post
If you want to go to a show find a few guys looking to do the same and split a table or hit up some of the local smaller shows.
That sounds like a good idea. Thanks!
Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > General > Gun Shows


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2019, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service