Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Handguns
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old January 5th, 2019, 07:35 AM #1
Opinions Are My Own

Opinions Are My Own

Sig Recommendations

I'm thinking about adding my first Sig to my collection. The purpose of the gun will most likely be every day carry, but could also be competition (IDPA).

I regularly, happily carried a Glock 19 until I acquired a Glock 43. Now I typically carry the Glock 43 because of its convenient size, and my research shows the overwhelming majority of self defense incidents don't require 16 rounds.

Legion, 229, something else... ? What do you recommend I look at, and why?
CypherPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2019, 08:01 AM #2
Thread killer

Thread killer

Well, this is a tough one. Sig has many different pistols. The Legion line is dolled up. The frame gets some mods, medium beavertail,undercut trigger guard, and thin grips. To me, the 229 is the best size. 3.9" barrel and 15 rounds.
I'd look for a 229 SAS. That is not made now. It gets the de-horned or carry melt. It's a Custom shop job. They're a few on GB. There is even a 229 carry that is 3.5" barrel.
Next would be a 320. I would get exactly the X-Carry one. Or, the X series grip module for a standard 320 carry. That grip changes the 320 for me. The 320 has a ton of options. I like that one.

After that, they have a few oddball offerings. What caliber were you wanting to go with? 9mm I guessing? Sig is known as a DA/SA maker. So with that in mind. You are looking at mostly that type action.
Racer Doug14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2019, 08:39 AM #3

I would look at the new Sig 225A1. I have the original 225. It is reliable, accurate, and slim. The D/A is too heavy. Hopefully, lighter on the new one.
I believe the 225A1 replaced the 239? since the 239 was discontinued.
Rangeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2019, 08:52 AM #4

If you are thinking compitition and carry, consider getting a p320 x-carry as the primary gun. You can then transfer the registered fire control unit into a compact or subcompact grip and frame which conceal well.
dbledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2019, 09:00 AM #5
Thread killer

Thread killer

This guy is nice. A decent value too.
Attached Images

Racer Doug14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2019, 09:18 AM #6

For carry - Sig has multiple options starting with the p365 (known it have issues), p238, p938, p225, p229 and various models of the p320 (probably others). Heck some folks conceal a p220 and p226 but that's just nuts. Since you want a dual purpose, carry and IDPA, for the most part that rules some of these out (in my opinion). For a dual role you want a slightly larger and thus either the p229 or p320 (whether regular or x-carry as a poster listed above).

So given both requirements - I'd suggest a p229 and p320 (likely X-carry). For p229, I'd probably look at the M11-A1 variant (which is a 229 but per old naming was a p228). For that model they remove the sharp edges. Sig used to make a p229 SAS which was perfect but they've discontinued. For the p320, I like the X-Carry and there's a number of pro's to that as well. The length of the X-Carry is just about the same as a G19, but with a much better grip (both length and angle). For me, I prefer a metal frame but to each their own. I have a number of Sigs including the p229 and the X-Carry. Chances are, you won't stop at one...

So why not the p225? It's more or less the same size as the p229 but a single stack. If that doesn't bother you, the p225 with wood grips is a beautiful and a great shooter...

Lots of choices and there's really no wrong answers. As a Sig nut myself, with several exceptions, Sig does a fantastic job with everything they do...
holesonpaper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2019, 05:05 PM #7

I carry a P229, with 18 round P228 magazines for 9mm with absolutely no issues. I use it for EDC and have also used it for several steel challenge and bowling pin matches. I haven't as of yet done any IDPA matches, but that is next on my to do list.
Old January 5th, 2019, 05:18 PM #8
I wanna go fast

I wanna go fast

For shooting, the Legion series is phenomenal. I don't think you can go wrong with the Legion 229. That said if you're going to carry it every day, the M11-a1 might be a better choice. Either way both are fine guns.

“Driving a muscle car fast isn't that fun, it's driving one slowly and making a ton of noise and pissing people off, that's what’s fun.” –Matt Farah
-Z/28- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2019, 05:18 PM #9

Love my P225. ( Not a surplus P6 , but a civillan P225 .)Unlike an earlier poster, it has the best DA/SA trigger I've used on a semi . And I like, and recomend , full size single stacks .
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2019, 05:24 PM #10

While most shootings don't require more than three rounds, I have never heard anyone who said they regretted having too much ammunition.

It sounds like you are moving to something smaller rather than larger. I don't think there is much difference between the P226 and P229. I've carried both. The P229 has been on my hip for 15+ years and it is fine. The P320/P250 are interesting because you can swap sizes easily and keep the identical trigger. My preference is the DAO P250, just because I like a hammer over striker. If I want a striker, I carry a Glock, G27 or G22, but my preference for small carry is my sub compact P250. The long pull trigger on the P250 is reminiscent of my revolver days, only the trigger is much smoother than any revolver I've carried.

SIG and HK handguns are a bit on the overpriced side of the market, IMO. While they are good guns and well made, they don't perform any better and they are no more reliable than Glock, IMO.

My only real suggestion is look for a police trade-in after you have shot a few of your potential choices. Let friends know what you are looking for and see if anyone is willing to let you put a few magazines through their pistol. I firmly believe that no one can choose a firearm for another person. What works for me, works for me. The only wrong answer is choosing something that doesn't work for you.

Be safe.

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Handguns