• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I gave myself about 5 seconds and did not see it.
    Walking a trail you need about 1/2 second or less if you are not specifically looking.
    I think most of us would not see it unless it was moving or the contrast change was more significant.

NOW, its much easier to hide something in a photo. Especially with color contrasts and how a 2D shape turns into a 3D shape while you are moving.
    Much like animals see things more on movement than color.
    A person walking can tell the difference if the perspective changes between a flat leaf and a leaf shaped twig (snake) when you are moving if your eyes focus long enough and you are close enough. If the snake is the one to move, you will spot it quickly.

I see deer on the side of the road ALL THE TIME. its cause I'm looking. Before I hunted, I rarely saw them.

I would have to go with "most of us would not see it". and the snake could decide our fate.

As Tallen points out, tall boots are more effective than our eyes!

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I found it in the picture without the spoiler but I damn sure would have stepped on it in real life.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    cAFOwQ3.gif

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    I love copperheads, and caught many, many dozens of them for research back in the late 70s for my thesis at Tennessee Tech. While I came across them during the day like this, most times I'd find copperheads, timber rattlers, and even the copperhead's genetic cousin, the Water Moccasin (Cottonmouth to some), on asphalt roads that winded their way through the hills, and crossed streams--snakes just love the heat that is preserved when the sun goes down. I was an avid herpetologist for the first 45 of my 59 years, then gradually lost the intense interest. I tried an education program here in Maryland that sort of went well for a while 15 years back, but so many people just hated snakes or spread misinformation (like water moccasins live in Maryland--they DON'T, they have never been found north of the Great Dismal Swamp in SE Virginia) that it became tedious trying to reason with folks that swore up and down on bibles that the black snake with 3 yellow stripes down it's back was deadly poisonous and they were heroes for killing it. Well, I'm venting with some old frustrations so let me just say thanks for sharing a beautiful specimen. I find them often up through Catoctin and know of a nice den to visit each spring and fall...

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I ran into one of them when I was in the USMC = Summer of 63 at Camp LeJeune...

We were practicing moving at a low crawl thru some North Carolina Pines...

I was close to the trunk of the tree & the snake was directly in front of me lying on a bed of brown pine needles & about 42" away...

He was looking right at me & I had no where to go...

I lowered the muzzle of my M1, pushed the safety off & let him have the full blast of a blank at 12"...

It spun him around 2 - 3 times in the air & deposited him dead about 10 away...

30 Caliber blanks are really NASTY...

It was a "live fire exercise = get your rifles dirty boys"...

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Very cool. I caught my first one a few years ago. Beautiful animals. They are usually not very aggressive, but will bight if stepped on. I'd love to see a wild MD rattlesnake. In all my years in he woods I've still never found one.

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    Never found it and I figured it was centered in the picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    that's what I hate about camouflaged snakes. They lie there all quiet-like and invisible, then get pissed when you don't see them and step on them. I've nearly been bitten by a copperhead that lunged at my hand when I was pulling weeds from under a bush. That thing was practically invisible until my hand got too close.

Another time I turned around and realized I nearly stepped on a coiled black snake. He was looking at me like it was my fault he was hiding in the shadows. They are not venomous, but they can bite if threatened.

Give me a brightly colored venomous snake that says "touch me and you die!". At least I can see the sucker and avoid it.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Very cool. I caught my first one a few years ago. Beautiful animals. They are usually not very aggressive, but will bight if stepped on. I'd love to see a wild MD rattlesnake. In all my years in he woods I've still never found one.
    I have some pics of a Timber from the Catoctin den. Let me see if I can find it...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Kimber45

Jan 14, 2011
    Whiteford
    didn't see it, even after looking at the spoiler and going back, it still took a split second to find it. My eyes aren't what they used to be.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    In one day at the top of the Bob's Hill Overlooks in Cunningham Falls, my oldest daughter and I encountered several Copperheads balled up sunning themselves in the rock cracks of both sides of the ridgeline blue Catoctin Trail summit. Had my daughter not spotted the first one right in front of me and shouted, I would have put my foot right on it.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Good post, I finally found it without cheating, but it was a real eye opener as to how easy you could walk up on one. Showed my GF and she was shocked too.
    :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom