Windham R16M4 only chambered in 7.62x39 legal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Is any part of FSA logical ? No.

Is any part of MSP LD logical or internally consistant ? Only occasionally.

Is current MSP Dealer Advisory on HBAR logical ? No. But the current flavor is clearer and more easily interpreted than the previous flavors .

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    So if I profile my own barrel I can shape it any way I want as the manufacturer and call it HBAR or stamp it with HBAR and it is legal according to you?

This message was written in the state of MD.

Yes. I have 3 barrels I made from blanks that had no markings on them whatsoever.

After I completed them I had the barrels marked with the barrel manufacturer, caliber, twist rate and HBAR. They are completely legal in Maryland.

I can also copy and paste the entire email chain between me and a Maryland State Trooper where he confirms that a barrel need only be stamped or advertised as a heavy barrel to be legal in Maryland and that contour, profile or weight have nothing to do with it.

Now do you believe me?

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Now do you believe me?

Hahaha oh the troopers said it. It must be right!

Troopers have no idea what they are talking about. Look up my first thread on this forum ever. The MSP trooper told me an SGL-20 (Russian AKM clone) was unregulated.

When MSP said I couldn't bring my SBR into MD and reversed their decision, did the law change? Or did MSP realize they are wrong?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

Troopers have no idea what they are talking about. Look up my first thread on this forum ever. The MSP trooper told me an SGL-20 (Russian AKM clone) was unregulated.

When MSP said I couldn't bring my SBR into MD and reversed their decision, did the law change? Or did MSP realize they are wrong?

Forget what others have experienced. Forget what the dealers say.

I'm done, there's nothing more I have to say.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yes. I have 3 barrels I made from blanks that had no markings on them whatsoever.

After I completed them I had the barrels marked with the barrel manufacturer, caliber, twist rate and HBAR. They are completely legal in Maryland.

I can also copy and paste the entire email chain between me and a Maryland State Trooper where he confirms that a barrel need only be stamped or advertised as a heavy barrel to be legal in Maryland and that contour, profile or weight have nothing to do with it.

[/thread]:cool:

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD

It ain't just a 'Trooper' we're talking about here....because you're right. They all don't know specifics on the law.. However, it's people who matter who work in the MSP Licensing Division. They have issued opinions as to what an HBAR is.

The law itself says Colt AR15 an all imitations except for the Colt Sporter HBAR. When facing possible lawsuits, an opinion was issued that an 'HBAR' was any rifle stamped HBAR on the barrel or receiver or is marketed as a Heavy Barrel. Otherwise only the Colt HBAR would be legal.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    It ain't just a 'Trooper' we're talking about here....because you're right. They all don't know specifics on the law.. However, it's people who matter who work in the MSP Licensing Division. They have issued opinions as to what an HBAR is.

The law itself says Colt AR15 an all imitations except for the Colt Sporter HBAR. When facing possible lawsuits, an opinion was issued that an 'HBAR' was any rifle stamped HBAR on the barrel or receiver or is marketed as a Heavy Barrel. Otherwise only the Colt HBAR would be legal.

I agree the Licensing Division is better than troopers but they have still reversed themselves when pushed into a corner. SBRs,
    Ar-15 receivers and pistols, MG versions of banned rifles etc.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I agree the Licensing Division is better than troopers but they have still reversed themselves when pushed into a corner. SBRs,
    Ar-15 receivers and pistols, MG versions of banned rifles etc.

Given the general murkiness of Md gun laws as a whole, this one is fairly clear and easy to follow(and widely accepted). I don't see much wiggle room nor do I see much chance for reversal. But that's my personal take on it...YMMV

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Given the general murkiness of Md gun laws as a whole, this one is fairly clear and easy to follow(and widely accepted). I don't see much wiggle room nor do I see much chance for reversal. But that's my personal take on it...YMMV

Agreed on the murkiness, and the effort it would take to make them reverse themselves is probably not worth it.

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    Last checked w/ MSP website :

Windham Weaponry
    Windham Weaponry R16M4FTT-762
    Not Banned Neither a "Copycat" nor cosmetically similar to anything on the current enumerated banned weapon list 12/9/2014

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Last checked w/ MSP website :

Windham Weaponry
    Windham Weaponry R16M4FTT-762
    Not Banned Neither a "Copycat" nor cosmetically similar to anything on the current enumerated banned weapon list 12/9/2014

This makes sense to me given that the HBAR question shouldn't be relevant for rifles that aren't AR-15 rifles chambered in .223/5.56 (and direct impingement - albeit no comment on the MSP advisement on the Sig MCX). Does the Windham even use an AR-15 BCG, or is it modified?

Good prices for them at a couple vendors ($500) ...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...+Weaponry/WIND+R16M4FTT-762+SRC+762X39+16+30R
    http://tooeleshootingsupply.com/sho...2-ar-15-7-62x39-16-bbl-30-round-optics-ready/ (Slightly more here, but prefer them over Buds, having ordered from both - Buds isn't bad, but TSS is really friendly and helpful, whereas Buds can be disorganized)

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    This makes sense to me given that the HBAR question shouldn't be relevant for rifles that aren't AR-15 rifles chambered in .223/5.56 (and direct impingement - albeit no comment on the MSP advisement on the Sig MCX). Does the Windham even use an AR-15 BCG, or is it modified?

Good prices for them at a couple vendors ($500) ...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...+Weaponry/WIND+R16M4FTT-762+SRC+762X39+16+30R
    http://tooeleshootingsupply.com/sho...2-ar-15-7-62x39-16-bbl-30-round-optics-ready/ (Slightly more here, but prefer them over Buds, having ordered from both - Buds isn't bad, but TSS is really friendly and helpful, whereas Buds can be disorganized)
    Bolt carrier is the same but the bolt is different because the cases are different.

Buddy in MD tried to order from Buds but they wouldn't ship because of the mag.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Bolt carrier is the same but the bolt is different because the cases are different.

Buddy in MD tried to order from Buds but they wouldn't ship because of the mag.
    Great price from Bud's, coming in under what I could get for limited order from wholesaler.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom