• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    zqmC1hn.jpg

Found this one at Gunrunners in Frederick - shout-out to Bob. I could spend all day talking to that guy about old Colts!

sonovabitch!!! Was gonna use tax return for that one...

Enjoy it!!

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    sonovabitch!!! Was gonna use tax return for that one...

Enjoy it!!

Thanks! :D Not for nothing but, they seem to be in fairly good supply. Last I looked, there were 50+ listings for the 5" PPQ on Gunbroker. If Bob can't get you one, order one off GB and transfer it thru Gunrunners. May cost you a few bucks more by the time you factor in shipping and the transfer fee but I'll bet at least one of those sellers on GB is offering free shipping.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Finally got it over to the range tonight and put half box of Fiocchi 115gr FMJ and a box of PMC Bronze 115gr. FMJ thru it without a hiccup. Shoots very nice; I just had a hard time (again) seeing those three dots clearly in such dim indoor lighting.

vxJdCgR.jpg

10 yards, 15 rounds PMC 115gr FMJ

Love the trigger, love the grip angle, love the overall balance. The mag and slide releases are like butter using my shooting hand - barely need to alter my grip to operate them. I can't find much to criticize beyond the factory sights. They're just OK. As many other reviewers have reported, I also think the rear notch is a bit too wide for the front blade. That will most likely be my first modification. I also wouldn't mind a 'stickier' rubber-feeling type of grip. Otherwise, it's :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for the 5" PPQ.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Would have joined you tonight as I'm jonesing to get some range time, but dozed off, lol. Look forward to trying the new Walther.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You're shooting too fast. Unless you're trying to. There's no reason all of those rounds shouldn't be touching inside that 10x

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    You're shooting too fast. Unless you're trying to. There's no reason all of those rounds shouldn't be touching inside that 10x

Yup. That's exactly what I was doing. The reset on the PPQ's trigger is so short that it's difficult to resist the urge to double and triple-tap with it for fun. It's like the pistol was made for it. Kinda cool that HTC allows it but I'd gladly trade that privilege for better lighting in some of their shooting lanes. I couldn't see shit last night.

My only question is why haven't you picked one up yet?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Yup. That's exactly what I was doing. The reset on the PPQ's trigger is so short that it's difficult to resist the urge to double and triple-tap with it for fun. It's like the pistol was made for it. Kinda cool that HTC allows it but I'd gladly trade that privilege for better lighting in some of their shooting lanes. I couldn't see shit last night.

My only question is why haven't you picked one up yet?

I'm tired of shooting. I think my gun buying days are done.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I'm tired of shooting. I think my gun buying days are done.

I'm not there yet. I took about a 25 year break because family was a priority, particularly helping my youngest kid find a career he could embrace. Once that mission was accomplished, I felt obligated to reward myself. I got my HQL and bought a couple of Sigs in 2014. I didn't buy another gun until March 2016, right around the time I found MDS.

Take a break. I never get tired of doing something I enjoy and do well but every now and then it's good to back-off for a little while. It did wonders for my golf game. I can actually go out and enjoy 18 holes now without worrying about duffing the occasional shot.

I've also become more interested in archery after binge-watching the Outdoor Channel and being a fan of Vikings on the History Channel. The advances in bow technology between now and my much, much younger days when I bow-hunted my in-laws' property in WV is like night and day. I'm thinking about giving it a try again. I used to be pretty good at it.

Or, you could simply restrain Fidelity for me. It would be a full-time gig and I'd pay ya to do it.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Well tired I mean, I have the few guns I want. The allure and costs of me guns are lost on me. And to me, this walther is no different than my VP9. :)

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Well tired I mean, I have the few guns I want. The allure and costs of guns are lost on me. And to me, this walther is no different than my VP9. :)

Agree with you on the allure and costs. MD FFL's practically force one to look elsewhere for better deals and less BS. That's what'll burn me out faster than anything.

Disagree with you on the VP9 comparison. The PPQ's grip angle, much like the Steyr L9A1's, makes it virtually impossible to veer off target by operating the trigger. If you miss with a Walther, it's because you either flinch or you have the sights out of alignment, not because you pulled the trigger.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Agree with you on the allure and costs. MD FFL's practically force one to look elsewhere for better deals and less BS. That's what'll burn me out faster than anything.

Disagree with you on the VP9 comparison. The PPQ's grip angle, much like the Steyr L9A1's, makes it virtually impossible to veer off target by operating the trigger. If you miss with a Walther, it's because you either flinch or you have the sights out of alignment, not because you pulled the trigger.

That's cool. I couldn't care less about grip angle. LOL

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    alsTYSR.jpg
    EbePdl6.jpg

Winchester WB 124gr FMJ, 40 rounds @ 10 yards, standing, offhand

I picked-up my new 5" PPQ a little over a month ago but work has kept me so busy, lately, that yesterday was the first chance I had to test-fire a couple of different factory loads, unless you want to count that one box of PMC 115gr FMJ that I ran thru it the day I picked it up. Otherwise, yesterday was its first real day at the range. I had a couple of boxes (each) of Aguila and Winchester WB 124 gr FMJ to try-out and was not disappointed with the way either load performed.

The best groups I managed with the Aguila averaged in the 2.5-3" range at 10 yards. The Winchester White Box averaged about half of that spread. Consistent accuracy proved to be easy, even if my technique could definitely stand some improvement. Still, for the first 200 rounds I'm pretty satisfied. The PPQ is one of those pistols I know I'll shoot better with more range time and practice.

I think my impression of the PPQ is like most owners: Love the trigger, the feel of the grip, the ergonomics of the slide and mag releases. Not so thrilled with the factory sights but, they'll do for now. Eventually they'll be upgraded to something better. Overall, I'd grade the PPQ an 'A'. The only thing I'd improve are the factory sights.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Im glad you like it. Part of me regrets not getting the Walther. It felt very good in my hand. I've never actually shot one however.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Im glad you like it. Part of me regrets not getting the Walther. It felt very good in my hand. I've never actually shot one however.

I never gave the PPQ much thought until I tried a friend's. I had always been a fan of PPs, PPKs and P-38's but never considered Walther's polymer guns because they were so radically different from their traditional pistols.

I'd check around and see if a local range has one you can rent. I know that HTC has a couple of Walthers for rent but I'm not sure if they have a PPQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom