• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    We have 3 kids and use a 20 gallon WellXtrol right now. Have not had an issue as long as the pump is working. Granted, our well replenishment rate is 6 gpm, but we have yet to run the well dry with a 200 foot deep well and a reserve that is pretty high up in the pipe. The guys that came out in January said they could see the water level by looking down the well pipe and that it was high enough that the only way we should have a water issue is if we left a bunch of high flow appliances on for an extended period.

With all that said, I am planning on upgrading to a 66 gallon or larger Well-Xtrol tank because:

1) The current one is 30 years old
    2) It will help reduce the number of times the pump turns on and off, which is what kills pumps and they cost $1,600+ to replace unless you do it yourself and then it is still around $500 for the pump

Also going to install a CSV (Cycle Stop Valve), which will throttle the pump to meet the current demand once the pressure drops to the cut on spot from the pressure tank. So, with a 60/40 pressure switch, the pump will normally cut on at 40 psi, fill the tank to 60 psi, and then shut off until the tank pressure drops to 40 psi again. With a CSV, you can set the pressure for the pump to attain. For me, I am going to go with a 70/50 pressure switch and set the CSV at 65 psi. So, once the water pressure drops to 50 psi, the pump will turn on, the water pressure will go back up to 65 psi, the water pressure will remain at 65 psi as long as there is demand, and then once demand ends the pump will continue to pump until the pressure tank is refilled and the pressure is at 70 psi. No more on and off of the pump during showers, baths, etc. Most of the water in the house is used in the morning and the evening, as most of the occupants are out of the house the rest of the time.

This water stuff is on my list of things to do after this tax season. Ah, lookie there, it is past midnight and tax season is over. lol Time to order a couple more things and get to work.

I'd say good luck, but I think you are going to be fine.

Another thing to consider is doing a well water test and installing an Reverse Osmosis filter. We just had our water tested by this place:

https://www.karlabs.com/watertestkit/

It confirmed what we pretty much already knew. Nitrate is slightly high, but the RO filter takes care of that for drinking water. Also have an issue with ph being too low, so I am going to address that and then water hardness that is caused by addressing the ph issue.

Home ownership equals fun times. The list of projects is never ending.

Hi Fabsroman, trying to understand what this CSV actually does. If I understand correctly, it turns on the pump at a lower level while there is a water demand (shower or bath running), keeping the pump running while that demand remains? Is that correct? Where does this CSV install at, the pressure switch?
    Thanks.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    did the water test, and everything came back fine. They have a pretty substantial filtration and softener system already installed, so I think that's why. I'm not worried about the water for the immediate future, and will cross that bridge when we come to it. First order of business is going to be the 2 14yr old heat pumps :(

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Hi Fabsroman, trying to understand what this CSV actually does. If I understand correctly, it turns on the pump at a lower level while there is a water demand (shower or bath running), keeping the pump running while that demand remains? Is that correct? Where does this CSV install at, the pressure switch?
    Thanks.

Sorry about not getting back to you sooner. This is what I plan on installing:

http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/prod_csv1a.html

To answer your question, it goes prior to the pressure tank and prior to the tee that leads into the pressure tank. Here is the installation instructions:

http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/prod_csv1a_install.html

I am planning on putting this spin down filter prior to the CSV,:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B005VPM...=UTF8&colid=KHRZ1VZRFOTF&coliid=ISLG0SCCD7QH1

then the CSV, then the tee to the pressure tank, and then a system of additional water filters and water treatments with a UV treatment just before the water leaves for the rest of the house. Now, I just need to find all the money to buy the stuff and then all the time to install it. No sweat. lol

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    did the water test, and everything came back fine. They have a pretty substantial filtration and softener system already installed, so I think that's why. I'm not worried about the water for the immediate future, and will cross that bridge when we come to it. First order of business is going to be the 2 14yr old heat pumps :(

Welcome to my world. The oil furnace and AC unit were 25 years old when we bought this place. The water heater was only 7 years old, but it was a bargain basement electric water heater and it kept blowing heating elements. Then, it sprung a leak. Just incredible. Had a new AC system put in about 5 years ago, maybe 4, and the a-coil has already sprung a leak. The company that built the a-coil is bankrupt and I have since found out that R-410a and copper do not like each other. So, it looks like I am going to have to replace the a-coil in the near future.

Home ownership is some fun times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom