• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rangeman

Mar 1, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    The last few times out, my Hi Power not extracting. Empty case pulled partially out and new round trapped underneath. Chamber and extractor clean, so I assume it needs a new extractor. Any chance the recoil spring is the cause?
    Thanks

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Did you remove the extractor and clean the channel and spring? Internally gummed up extractor is THE most common HiPower problem; you can't clean it from the outside. Weak extractor spring is #2, worn extractor is #3.

New extractors & springs are available and CHEAP directly from Browning.

Rangeman

Mar 1, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    Did you remove the extractor and clean the channel and spring? Internally gummed up extractor is THE most common HiPower problem; you can't clean it from the outside. Weak extractor spring is #2, worn extractor is #3.

New extractors & springs are available and CHEAP directly from Browning.

Never thought of that...tap down pin on top of slide...remove..clean. It's a used gun (FM Argentine from Lou) and that's probally never been done. Will try it :thumbsup:
    At some point I'll order both parts.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    You didn't say it was an FM ... might be better to get replacement extractor from Numrich (aka gun parts.com) for a non FN made HiPower. Pretty sure the spring would be identical even if there was minor variation in the extractor itself.

I don't remember the Browning price on the extractor spring, I think it was around $1, but shipping from them is $8. Still not awful.

Rangeman

Mar 1, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    You didn't say it was an FM ... might be better to get replacement extractor from Numrich (aka gun parts.com) for a non FN made HiPower. Pretty sure the spring would be identical even if there was minor variation in the extractor itself.

I don't remember the Browning price on the extractor spring, I think it was around $1, but shipping from them is $8. Still not awful.

I found another recoil spring and may try that first. Than, I think what I do is take out sear first (pin on side) followed by extractor pin. Right now, I don't have the right punch.
    Now I have two Brownings "out of order". My Buckmark is waiting for a recoil spring (back-order) and my Hi Power too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom