• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Why can't these guys just catch Spanish mackerel?

You seemed to ignore all the other cases that did not have Hispanic names associated with them, but I guess this thread is about striped bass and Hispanics, so your post was directly on point. We still need to protect the turkeys, deer, and oysters from the white man, or do you only care about striped bass located at a specific bridge? Then again, I guess I am assuming a lot too. For all I know, the names below might be illegal immigrants from England and other places in Europe, or they might even be from South America for all I know. No American Citizen would ever violate the DNR laws.

On Tuesday, officers on patrol at 6:30 a.m. in Washington County issued citations to a Hagerstown man after finding cracked corn spread in front of his hunting blind.

Willis Wayne Kesselring, 68, was charged with hunting turkeys with the aid of bait and hunting turkeys with an unplugged shotgun. The pre-paid fines total $750. If he chooses to contest the charges in Washington County District Court June 21 and is found guilty, he could face a fine up to $4,000.

An officer on patrol in Montgomery County before the opening of turkey season noticed a ground blind at the edge of a grassy field and a feed block filled with seed nearby. He also noticed two turkeys near the baited area.The officer returned Tuesday, opening day and found Jeffrey Michael Tokar, 55, of Gaithersburg in the blind with a shotgun and turkey call.

Tokar was charged with hunting wild turkeys with the aid of bait and hunting forest game with a shotgun holding more than three shells. The pre-paid fines are $750. However, if he chooses to contest the charges in Montgomery County District Court June 6 and is found guilty, he could face a fine up to $3,000.

Three men were charged Monday with illegal oystering in Talbot County after an investigation of activity in Broad Creek and Tred Avon River.

Daniel Franklin Haddaway, 62, of Bozman, and David Bryan Phillips Sr., 53, of Vienna, each received citations for harvesting oysters with power dredges in an area of Broad Creek designated for hand tonging only. Both men were observed March 9 working more than 150 feet inside the area.

Derek Anthony Spiegel, 29, of Stevensville, received a citation for harvesting oysters more than 250 feet inside the Tred Avon sanctuary March 16. Officers seized 4½ bushels of oysters and returned them to the sanctuary.

All three men must appear in Talbot County District Court. A trial date has been set for May 18.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    all of it is total BS. Whether it's deer or fish the same thing, little slaps on the wrist by either DNR or the Judges.

not trying to be offensive or anything but seems to be a cultural theme in many of these cases. I've seen both Hispanics and Asians keep EVERY fish they catch on Black hills and the Hispanics continually just walk away from all their trash on the bank. We won't even get into the theory as to why we have snakeheads living all over the place now.

Not illegal but the Asian lady with the Mercedes SUV at Chesapeake Beach cracks me up, she will barely let you finish cleaning your catch before she is grabbing the carcass from you or out of the trash and throws it in a nasty can in the back of the SUV.

I've seen white guys shoot every dove that came their way. Same goes for geese, ducks, and deer. Seen plenty of deer that never got checked in.

Then, there is the thing that a lot of crime is committed by the poor/uneducated.

Lastly, I completely disagree with you about "slaps" on the wrist for these violations. I have seen a person get a $4,000 fine and 4 years of prison time with $3,200 suspended and all the prison time suspended. He was put on probation for a couple of years and could not possess a firearm while on probation. Meanwhile, I have have seen somebody beat a restaurant patron and then get charged with assaulting police officers and he was given PBJ and unsupervised probation with no restriction on firearms. Granted, the DNR violation was as a repeat offender because he had deer parts (i.e., a rotting head in his truck that he did not have registration papers for) that he paid the fine on and then got busted spot lighting 23 months later. The assistant state's attorney and DNR agent had agreed to PBJ on 2 of the charges and agreed to drop the other two, but the judge in Frederick County would not hear of it. No, the fines are not child's play. Then, look at the fines in the commercial fisherman case that I posted. They were in the $100,000+ range.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Same stuff, different day.
    ac2c83c30490d9915008cb95090250cd.jpg

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    You completely missed the point.
    DNR put out a crime report with a rather large list of offenders.
    100% of the names on the list are not just a little Hispanic, they are very very Hispanic. So yes, I'll make the broad assumption (or as I like to call it an educated guess) that many, if not all, of the poachers are in our country illegally. That has nothing to do with you being Italian or my people wiping out the buffaloes.

No, I see it and I grew up with it. I grew up with people like you treating my dad like crap because he had an accent and he still does. My wife saw the same thing with her mom, aunts, and uncles on Long Island. Heard plenty of "damn foreigners" comments in my childhood. So, while I have been hunting and fishing since I was 4 years old, I have also dealt with people like you and their assumptions since I was old enough to understand what prejudice is.

Coincidentally, my wife attended a kid's birthday party this weekend and an Indian mother was saying that she feels discriminated against because of her skin color. She happens to be a middle school teacher in Howard County. My wife and I thought she was being ridiculous, but after reading threads like this with broad assumptions based upon Hispanic sounding names, I have to wonder. I have to wonder how many of my resumes were tossed in the circular file because of my name. Maybe my mom was right in that I should have changed my name because not everybody out there is willing to give somebody the benefit of the doubt until they meet them. Maybe my parents were right in naming the rest of my siblings with "American" names. Threads like this really make me wonder, because I had thought that you were an open minded, non-prejudicial type of guy, that would not cast labels across entire groups of people based upon how their name sounds. I guess the Indian lady from this weekend was right, prejudice is alive and well. Don't get me wrong, I believe we all pre-judge people. It is human nature and a self preservation thing, but to post about it openly and in the manner you and Boundless have done by making an "educated" assumption, is pretty incredible. Boundless can guarantee that all of the names listed in that article are illegals and he can guarantee that his contractors doing work on the house he lives in never hire illegals. Must be nice to have that crystal ball. Maybe you guys can give me a guarantee on Trump's new tax plan and whether it will pass. Just don't know how right your crystal balls are though.

Just so we are straight on something, I agree that people should come here legally. I agree that people should obey the DNR laws and other laws, or face the consequences when caught. I am pretty sure that the vast majority of people in America have broken a law or two in their lives. Pretty sure most people driving on the roads break a law every day.

What I have an issue with is these assumptions based upon names. I know a lot of people with Hispanic names that are here legally, and should they happen to be charged with a DNR crime they would not all of a sudden become an illegal immigrant.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    OK Fabs, I went back and checked and it looks like ALL the striped bass poaching this spring has been done by people with hispanic names.
    The hispanics listed may or may not be here illegally. We won't know because the state doesn't seem to care. I care though.

You'll be happy to know that some non-hispanic people poached oysters.

I already posted all that and I posted about the guys that baited turkeys too. Also posted about commercial fishermen with Anglo-Saxon sounding names.

I agree that Maryland should care about illegal immigration and that if they are illegal they should be referred to ICE. However, I do not agree on labeling every Hispanic named or Hispanic looking person as an illegal. I agree that immigration laws should be enforced, I wrote and called to oppose Howard County becoming a sanctuary county, but I just do not agree with the broad label applied to anybody that looks or sounds Hispanic.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Most Hispanics are perps...or is it...most perps are Hispanic? Which is it? :shrug:

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Keep telling yourself that.
    You stated as if a FACT: "Lastly, most illegals do not go out and commit illegal acts because they are worried about being deported."

I stated an OPINION based on a combination of names and more importantly behavior and actions: "It is a virtual certainty that every single one of these arrestees is an illegal immigrant."

See the difference? One is stated as fact, the other as opinion (virtual certainty). Yet you hypocritically claim I stated something as fact when in reality it was you.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I deleted my posts.
    Fabs I'm sorry people were mean to you when you were little. I am not like those people even a little bit.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    if the state were to force everyone getting a hunting and fishing , shyt, and drivers license to prove they were here legally then we would know when these folks get caught whether or not they were illegal right then and there. illegals should be hunting and fishing or driving here. they shouldn't be here. seems simple enough to me.

and it tickles me when people talk about predigests and racism and they live in this state. I have always lived down here and when I bought my first house I wasn't able to keep the original dee since it said the property couldn't be sold to blacks or jews, and not that nicely. small buisnesses down here didn't really segregate till about 1985 and most closed instead of doing it. there were, and are , plenty of white sheet folks running around and every old person I knew hated everyone who wasn't from here.

hell I thought it was natural to be that way for years after I got an up the road job. its still here. who really cares. just don't deal with those who you don't want to deal with, and let them be and hope they do the same to you. and if not then bash their skulls.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Take your prejudice elsewhere.
    My issue with illegal immigration is not the result of prejudice. I can absolutely guarantee that more of my business associates, proteges, clients, friends, and even family members are "brown" than the vast majority of adult white males. My issue with illegal immigration is simply that it is illegal. I don't like lawbreakers especially those that soak up my tax dollars in various ways. Maryland has a higher density of illegal immigrants than many other states due to our weak minded General Assembly who are only interested in buying votes. It is a reasonable assumption when a large number of Hispanics are arrested breaking the law that a good portion are illegal immigrants, at least when it happens in this state. By definition illegal immigrants don't respect our laws so I don't know why it would come as a surprise to you or anyone else that one could reasonably assume these are all illegal immigrants?

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Lots to go around on both sides here. As mentioned the largest habitual poachers always seem to be good ole boys from the eastern shore or southern MD. Buddy Harrison of Tilghman Island fame for one. IMO , most of these guys were ever fined or punished enough for what they did. These were ongoing criminal conspiracies and boats should have been seized. Local courts I guess.
    In recent years it does appear that an inordinate amount of Hispanics are teeming into certain fishing areas. IMO if many of them are here illegally, they wouldn't be inclined to buy a license either, but I could be wrong. As far as their immigration status, we'll probably never know with the sanctuary mentality of this state. Repeat offenders should be deported though.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Lots to go around on both sides here. As mentioned the largest habitual poachers always seem to be good ole boys from the eastern shore or southern MD. Buddy Harrison of Tilghman Island fame for one. IMO , most of these guys were ever fined or punished enough for what they did. These were ongoing criminal conspiracies and boats should have been seized. Local courts I guess.
    In recent years it does appear that an inordinate amount of Hispanics are teeming into certain fishing areas. IMO if many of them are here illegally, they wouldn't be inclined to buy a license either, but I could be wrong. As far as their immigration status, we'll probably never know with the sanctuary mentality of this state. Repeat offenders should be deported though.

Good post. :thumbsup:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    You stated as if a FACT: "Lastly, most illegals do not go out and commit illegal acts because they are worried about being deported."

I stated an OPINION based on a combination of names and more importantly behavior and actions: "It is a virtual certainty that every single one of these arrestees is an illegal immigrant."

See the difference? One is stated as fact, the other as opinion (virtual certainty). Yet you hypocritically claim I stated something as fact when in reality it was you.

I was going to leave this alone, but since you want to continue to reference it, here goes:

My statement:

"Lastly, most illegals do not go out and commit illegal acts because they are worried about being deported."

Notice that I used most, and not all.

Not only that, but there are lots of studies out there that support my statement as actual fact.

http://thehill.com/latino/324607-re...rants-commit-less-crime-than-us-born-citizens

https://object.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/pubs/pdf/immigration_brief-1.pdf

http://www.businessinsider.com/immi...rated-at-a-much-higher-rate-than-immigrants-1

Your statement:

"It is a virtual certainty that every single one of these arrestees is an illegal immigrant."

So, we have that it is a certainty:

Certainty - the quality or state of being certain especially on the basis of evidence.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/certainty

You also use the word, EVERY, which is an absolute. I was taught many moons ago that absolutes, like "every, all, none, always, never" are usually false.

Now, virtual in front of certainty might be a decent qualifier, but if so, it is identical to my use of "most" in my statement.

Regardless, you allege that it is a "virtual certainty that all the arrestees are illegal immigrants" and the only evidence you have to back that up is their names and that they have been charged with a DNR crime. My gut feeling is that if those people in the car were actual illegal immigrants, they would not have been throwing fish out of the car, but bailing out of the car and running for the hills to avoid the possibility of deportation.

Now, I will go off on a tangent. Trump has created a new division within Homeland Security called VOICE for nothing more than sensationalism. Now, we are paying additional dollars in taxes so people can report crimes committed by illegal immigrants so Trump can make a big deal out of it on the national level and prove that he is "right". Well, those people should be reporting that stuff to the local police, local police should be enforcing local laws, and federal dollars should not be wasted on this VOICE BS. If I was in Trump's shoes, I would make an agreement with all 50 states that the legal status of people arrested will be checked if they are given probation for certain crimes or if they are convicted of certain crimes. It is a middle ground that a lot of left leaning states could probably go along with. The right leaning states could choose to review the legal status of each and every person charged with a crime, but there needs to be something put in place that will get the liberal states cooperating to a degree. I think most people, even liberals, can agree with deporting violent criminals, drug dealers, etc. The disconnect comes into play where we would want law enforcement to check the legal status of a woman that is reporting being raped. Essentially, we would be sending a signal to anybody in the US that committing heinous crimes against an illegal probably will not be reported to law enforcement because the victim would be scared of being deported.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    I've seen white guys shoot every dove that came their way. Same goes for geese, ducks, and deer. Seen plenty of deer that never got checked in.

Then, there is the thing that a lot of crime is committed by the poor/uneducated.

Lastly, I completely disagree with you about "slaps" on the wrist for these violations. I have seen a person get a $4,000 fine and 4 years of prison time with $3,200 suspended and all the prison time suspended. He was put on probation for a couple of years and could not possess a firearm while on probation. Meanwhile, I have have seen somebody beat a restaurant patron and then get charged with assaulting police officers and he was given PBJ and unsupervised probation with no restriction on firearms. Granted, the DNR violation was as a repeat offender because he had deer parts (i.e., a rotting head in his truck that he did not have registration papers for) that he paid the fine on and then got busted spot lighting 23 months later. The assistant state's attorney and DNR agent had agreed to PBJ on 2 of the charges and agreed to drop the other two, but the judge in Frederick County would not hear of it. No, the fines are not child's play. Then, look at the fines in the commercial fisherman case that I posted. They were in the $100,000+ range.

then we can disagree, and I never said whites don't do it nor did I use the word "illegals" in my post. I specifically said not trying to be and said cultural. In the case listed of 228 illegal fish they were Hispanic.

There is a (white, just so I don't get accused of being racist) poacher living in Mt Airy that has been caught over 5 times, even with drugs in possession. Where is he - free, how much was the fine- $400, where is his vehicle- in the driveway, they did keep the gun.
    Report the (again white) guy next door to a place I hunted was trespassing, poaching, destroying property - reply "well did you get pictures or see him actively shoot a deer, etc.", not we'll set up a sting since it is habitual. I'm not the cop they are.
    I get a ticket for not having a whistle on my boat but the Asian family standing on the bank for 4 hours with a green lawn trash bag full of fish isn't checked? or the bottom of the bride Hispanics visibly tossing their empty drink containers in the rocks aren't written up for littering?
    tenant (again white) gives permission for 2 guys from PA to hunt on the farm where he rents a single wide. DNR comes out and no ticket, just a verbal warning/lesson in MD law.

I and everybody else that hunts or fishes has got stories also and there are too many inconsistencies in enforcement/prosecution. Just cause you throw out a couple good examples doesn't mean there aren't plenty of piss poor ones. All I said is there are plenty of this crap getting slaps on the wrist. It should be plain and simple if you get caught red handed with good proof and you knowingly did the violation you should loose the license, the instruments used to commit it, and if warranted pay a painful fine and maybe serve time or community service.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    More of the same.
    Continued surveillance at Fishing Creek Bridge in Dorchester County resulted in charges against 18 people and the seizure of 261 striped bass.

On May 28 at 5:20 a.m., the following people were charged with catching too many striped bass and keeping undersized fish: Omar Martinez Ramirez, 24, of Lanham; Felipe Rodriguez Morales, 28, of Lanham; Ruperto Cruz Carino Blames, 24, of Lanham; Anselmo Luna Lima, 23, of Hyattsville; Eden Ramirez Labastida, 24, of Beltsville; and Luis Luna Lima, 21 of Hyattsville.

A short time later, officers charged the following people with catching too many fish and keeping undersized fish: Sergio Noe Martinez Monroy, 39, of Hyattsville; Elvir Rigoberto Ortiz Aroche, 34, of Mount Ranier; and Edin Najera Morales, 38, of Hyattsville.

Earlier, officers charged five people from Temple Hill: Cinthia Servellon Mercado, 24, Eli Barue Colindres Navarrete, 39, Gustavo Adolfo Ostoro-Gald, 36, Julio Flores, 35, and Omar Ezequiel Castro, 18, were each charged with possession of undersized striped bass, exceeding the daily creel limit and fishing in a prohibited area. All but Ostoro-Gald also were charged with fishing without a license.

All 14 defendants are due in Dorchester County District Court Aug. 16. Each charge carries a maximum fine of $1,500.

On May 27, shortly after midnight, officers charged the following people: Bani Asael Garcis Barahona, 33, of Oxon Hill; Carlos Enrique Cabrera Ramirez, 45, of Temple Hills; Adriana Beatriz Lopez Mejia, 27, of Oxon Hill; and Yeny Sarai Juarez Velasquez, 35, of Oxon Hill.

The four defendants have been schedule to appear in Dorchester County District Court July 19.

A Prince George’s County man was charged Thursday with illegal fishing by officers patrolling Fishing Creek Bridge in Dorchester County.

Guadalupe Zelaya Garcia, 34, of Hyattsville, was stopped as he left the area shortly before midnight. Officers found 19 undersized striped bass in his vehicle.

He received citations for fishing without a license, keeping undersized striped bass and keeping fish above the creel limit.

He is scheduled to appear in Dorchester County District Court Sept. 20. If found guilty, he could be fined as much as $4,000.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    More of the same.

Catching the latino poachers is the low hanging fruit for DNR. They tend to fish from bridges and fishing piers which are easy to patrol. The GOBs in St Mary's and Calvert have their boats and use private docks. The only time they get caught is if neighbors call DNR on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom