• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HCOR

Jun 19, 2016
    I finally broke down and applied for my HQL.

Kinda silly, considering I already own a few handguns / "regulated firearms" from the pre-281 days, but I recently got my NRA Instructor - Pistol cert and am looking to buy a few handguns to use for training purposes.

Anyway... got fingerprinted on 1/8/17 and submitted application on 1/10/17. No movement on the checklist as of today, 1/16/17, other that MSP acknowledging the application and payment were received.

Same here I really figured I would see a change today but still nothing.

Feb 22, 2012
    Baltimore County
    They shut that program down after January 1. If you didn't get your HQL by then, you're too late. They will open up the enrollment period again in October. You will have until Jan1 to apply for 2017. They are treating this like health insurance enrollment. After all, having an HQL is not a right, it's a privilege. ;)

j/k

:lol:
    ^^ good to see sarcasm is still alive and well in 2017.

Feb 22, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Sorry, forgot to update sooner. Fingerprinted 1/8, applied online 1/10, online checklist completed 1/30, card received first week of February. About 23 day total turnaround from application submission to card in hand.

Cool thing is I found a sweet Taurus 94 (22LR 9 shot revolver) in SS thats coming home with me 5his coming Friday.

In my effort to avoid the HQL fees I spent last couple years not enjoying any new handguns. Guess I forgot that new gun feeling. That 7 day wait almost makes it sweeter, like a kid counting down to Christmas.

Feb 22, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Sorry, forgot to update sooner. Fingerprinted 1/8, applied online 1/10, online checklist completed 1/30, card received first week of February. About 23 day total turnaround from application submission to card in hand.

Cool thing is I found a sweet Taurus 94 (22LR 9 shot revolver) in SS thats coming home with me 5his coming Friday.

In my effort to avoid the HQL fees I spent last couple years not enjoying any new handguns. Guess I forgot that new gun feeling. That 7 day wait almost makes it sweeter, like a kid counting down to Christmas.

LockedOut

Jan 30, 2017
    I found this forum quite useful when figuring out HQL wait times so I want to contribute now that I have mine.

Here are my times:

Fingerprinted: 2/25
    Applied: 2/25
    Approved: 3/8
    HQL in hand: 3/11

Total time: 14 days

I would add that I had to sign up for a HQL class 6 weeks in advance because they fill up. So counting that it was more like two months.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I found this forum quite useful when figuring out HQL wait times so I want to contribute now that I have mine.

Here are my times:

Fingerprinted: 2/25
    Applied: 2/25
    Approved: 3/8
    HQL in hand: 3/11

Total time: 14 days

I would add that I had to sign up for a HQL class 6 weeks in advance because they fill up. So counting that it was more like two months.

https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=119

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    Thanks for the link!!!!!

Application\License Fee Completed
    LiveScan Completed
    Training Completed
    NICS Completed
    METERS Completed
    CJIS Completed
    MAFSS Completed
    JIS Completed
    DJS Not Applicable
    DHMH Completed
    Secure Case Search Completed
    Secondary Review Complete Not Applicable
    Alien/INS Not Applicable

Just waiting now!

goosechunks

Apr 26, 2017
    Calvert County
    Thanks to everyone for the useful updates and info. Decided to make an account and share my miracle of an experience.

Application + fingerprints : 4/25
    HQL Active : 4/26
    Physical permit : 5/1

TOTAL TIME :6 days!

I guess either MSP isn't too busy right now or I am an exceptional law abiding citizen ;) . Looking forward to purchasing my first handgun!

Last edited:

silentdynasty

Apr 7, 2017
    MoCo
    Well thanks to DC-W. My man!!

I got my Application + fingerprints : 4/26
    HQL Active : TBD
    Physical permit : TBD

I went to Engage Armament gun shop and checked out some guns & rifles. I know what I will be purchasing. I may be getting Sig P320. I am so hyped! I cannot wait to get my HQL. All my issues is resolved with the interpreter and all that jazz. It is a headache I tell ya!

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

I went to Engage Armament gun shop and checked out some guns & rifles. I know what I will be purchasing. I may be getting Sig P320. I am so hyped! I cannot wait to get my HQL. All my issues is resolved with the interpreter and all that jazz. It is a headache I tell ya!

Great gun, if you like polymer striker guns. Selected by the Army to replace the M9

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012

Great! Your just one more background check away ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍

:party29:

silentdynasty

Apr 7, 2017
    MoCo
    BUT GUESS WHAT everyone? I got approved for my HQL in one day so my permit is on the way to me in 7-10 business days!!! I got a call from MSP this morning stating that my HQL is approved! One day turnaround! BAM!

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    BUT GUESS WHAT everyone? I got approved for my HQL in one day so my permit is on the way to me in 7-10 business days!!! I got a call from MSP this morning stating that my HQL is approved! One day turnaround! BAM!

Excellent. I am pleased that the MSP was persuaded!

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    I got a letter from Pikesville "no criminal history found". No other confirmation of anything else. I guess it's for the HQL. I haven't applied for a security clearance lately.

CptPoopyShoes

May 3, 2017
    Anne Arundel
    Applied 05/01 for HQL. Any reason why the MAFSS and Secondary Review would be incomplete? I don't have any regulated firearms. Not sure I fully understand what MAFSS actually is. Everything else is complete, is this part of the waiting game? Thank you in advance.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Maryland Automated Firearm Services System

MAFSS is a legacy system that tracks firearms and firearm ownership in Maryland, and is the system law enforcement officers actively use, ISABL is a new database not actively used by troopers. Rather, the department’s licensing division developed the database in an effort to make the tracking process more automated

They have 30 days. So wondering will just drive you nuts

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom