• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rog951

Mar 6, 2018
    Not far from Frederick
    So, my options were to either necro-bump this year-old thread or start a new one just for my li'l ol' question - as a newb here, I hope I made the right choice!!!

Question: anyone have insight into if/when the newish Ruger Mk IV Stainless Target with threaded barrel (Model 40126) might be added to the MSP approved list? I'm itching for a Mk IV and have decided on the Target, but it might be cool to try out a supressor at some point down the line. Patience hasn't historically been my strongest attribute though, so I'll probably just buy the already approved 40103 model. Unless somebody chimes in that it's on the docket for approval in the fairly near future that is. Thanks for any info!

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    So, my options were to either necro-bump this year-old thread or start a new one just for my li'l ol' question - as a newb here, I hope I made the right choice!!!

Question: anyone have insight into if/when the newish Ruger Mk IV Stainless Target with threaded barrel (Model 40126) might be added to the MSP approved list? I'm itching for a Mk IV and have decided on the Target, but it might be cool to try out a supressor at some point down the line. Patience hasn't historically been my strongest attribute though, so I'll probably just buy the already approved 40103 model. Unless somebody chimes in that it's on the docket for approval in the fairly near future that is. Thanks for any info!

Considering that I purchased one, (Target Model), almost a year ago, I would say the target model is on the list of approved...

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    MSP is aware that Ruger has lots of different model numbers that are essentially the same item with minor variations. So your dealer can call them, and ask them to add it to the list if it's not already there. Might take a few weeks extra but it's not a big deal.

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    MSP is aware that Ruger has lots of different model numbers that are essentially the same item with minor variations. So your dealer can call them, and ask them to add it to the list if it's not already there. Might take a few weeks extra but it's not a big deal.

Check the list, it's already there...:)
    pdf.gif
    Handgun Roster 7-1-17.pdf Look under Strum Ruger..

rog951

Mar 6, 2018
    Not far from Frederick

Thanks DutchV - not sure where I'll be getting it but I'll pop into Gunrunners or someplace local and start asking. :thumbsup:

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    Hey Fred, thanks but model 40126 with threaded barrel is not on that list. Did you buy that model?

You originally asked about the "Target Model"... I have never seen a Target Model with a threaded barrel. Probably why you don't see such on the list of approved. I have the stainless Target Model.

rog951

Mar 6, 2018
    Not far from Frederick
    You originally asked about the "Target Model"... I have never seen a Target Model with a threaded barrel. Probably why you don't see such on the list of approved. I have the stainless Target Model.

Fred, the threaded Target model is fairly new. All the info including model number is there in my original question if you're interested. Thanks!

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    Fred, the threaded Target model is fairly new. All the info including model number is there in my original question if you're interested. Thanks!

You are right. Just went to the Ruger web page and there it is as the newest addition. Although, suppressor on a target model??? I guess that is what the threaded barrel is for...

rog951

Mar 6, 2018
    Not far from Frederick
    You are right. Just went to the Ruger web page and there it is as the newest addition. Although, suppressor on a target model??? I guess that is what the threaded barrel is for...

Yes sir, I was thinking about a suppressor. I'm clueless on the subject but love the idea of saving my ears by a few dB. Saw a youtube video and someone was testing this model out with both regular and subsonic ammo, as well as with and without a suppressor. The suppressor didn't seem to have much of an effect on the gun's accuracy but quieted it down noticeably. I figure it might be worth a try. Besides, the fact that certain politicians have broached the subject of "banning silencers" makes me want to buy a few. I'm a rebel like that. :D

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    If you're interested in suppressors, ask away over in the NFA forum here.

I've got a Dead Air Mask HD that I run on my MKIV 22/45 Lite and it's just silly. I literally started giggling like a little girl the first time I shot it on that pistol.

The process can seem intimidating at first, but once you understand the steps it really is very easy. And buying from a place like Silencer Shop with their kiosks makes it even easier.

rog951

Mar 6, 2018
    Not far from Frederick
    If you're interested in suppressors, ask away over in the NFA forum here.

I've got a Dead Air Mask HD that I run on my MKIV 22/45 Lite and it's just silly. I literally started giggling like a little girl the first time I shot it on that pistol.

The process can seem intimidating at first, but once you understand the steps it really is very easy. And buying from a place like Silencer Shop with their kiosks makes it even easier.

Hey, thanks Hawkeye! I'll take a look in that subforum and see what I can find. Told you I was clueless about suppressors, etc - didn't even know you had to do anything special to get them! I guess they're treated like a regulated handgun or something? Background check, wait time, etc?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Hey, thanks Hawkeye! I'll take a look in that subforum and see what I can find. Told you I was clueless about suppressors, etc - didn't even know you had to do anything special to get them! I guess they're treated like a regulated handgun or something? Background check, wait time, etc?

Uh, no.

They are National Firearms Act of 1934 listed items. Just like machine guns.

$200 Federal Tax Stamp, that takes 8 months to a year to get these days.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009

Yeah, Pinecone basically covered it. Suppressors are federally controlled. To buy one, you have to fill out an ATF Form 1, pay a $200 tax, and wait for ATF and the FBI to background check you, which currently takes anywhere from six months to a year, depending on how lucky you got.

It's a little bit of a pain, but honestly once you do one, the hardest part is that $200 tax check you have to write. :)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    FYI, Form 4 if you buy a commercial suppressor. Form 1 if you build your own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom