• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stimpy17

Mar 10, 2015
    Western Maryland
    Hi, I wanted to include fixed blade, full tang knives to our B.O.B's and I'm thinking I'd rather not deal with any legal problems down the road.

These will be kept in our vehicles at all times. A 3.6" blade that resembles what she uses in the kitchen daily seems to fit the bill. O.A.L is 9". And no I wouldn't want to be on the other side of that with her holding it....

So the question is, how long can it be-legally?

Thank-you.

GHETTO BLASTER

May 27, 2013
    Hi, I wanted to include fixed blade, full tang knives to our B.O.B's and I'm thinking I'd rather not deal with any legal problems down the road.

These will be kept in our vehicles at all times. A 3.6" blade that resembles what she uses in the kitchen daily seems to fit the bill. O.A.L is 9". And no I wouldn't want to be on the other side of that with her holding it....

Thank-you.

There is no legal limit on fixed blades. It just can't be concealed carried,must be fully visible handle and all. From what I understand bowie knives and stilettos are illegal.

GHETTO BLASTER

May 27, 2013
    I'm not sure honestly. It won't matter stuffed under your bed or in a closet but if you keep it in your trunk and get pulled over could it be considered concealed?Maybe it's just my BGOS speaking but I'd rather stay on the safe side and get a different shaped knife.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast

Thank-you.

The RedHead Expedition Fixed Blade Knife is a great bob knife, full tang, sharp, cheap $30.00, 4.8 Inch blade, 10.2 total length, sheath stands up to rough use. OD green, non-reflective black oxide coating. Sharping stone.

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Expedition-Fixed-Blade-Knife/product/13010506003539/

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Because 4-101 specifically lists Bowie Knife ( and switchblade, dirk, and dagger) as inherently being Dangerous weapons ( previously known as Deadly Weapons until latest update and renumbering of the Criminal Article).

Size makes no difference. A 1inch blade is legally the same as an MS-13 Signature Model Machete, or a Cavalry Sabre .

Added - For BOB , just like general camp, survival, hunting, all-around outdoor use. Somewhere between 4-ish and 6-ish inch .

stimpy17

Mar 10, 2015
    Western Maryland
    Thank-you all for the input and links. So the best thing to do as far as legality would be to have knife on the outside of our packs? Would a sheathed knife be construed as being concealed?

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I've wondered about this many times. Is there any definition of what constitutes a Bowie knife, dirk, or dagger? Seems like another intentionally vague law intended to allow the State to prosecute whenever they want. Dagger is a pretty general description of nearly anything with a fixed blade (they do not specify push dagger, but I'm guessing that is covered under the definition). Just wondering if anyone has seen a case that actually helps define what a dagger, dirk or Bowie knife actual is, in the eyes of MD courts.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    Thank-you all for the input and links. So the best thing to do as far as legality would be to have knife on the outside of our packs? Would a sheathed knife be construed as being concealed?

Polk v Maryland (2007) among other things established that a knife merely being sheathed does not make it concealed. If a random person can look at it and know it's a knife, it's not concealed. Polk had a knife in his car and his conviction was thrown out specifically because the knife was plainly visible from outside the car.

To date, every single case I have examined on knife related arrests for Maryland involved the knife being on the body or within easy reach. Polk's knife was near the dashboard of his car (he was also a raving whacko on drugs, which is why the cops were looking at him). A guy I knew in college was pulled over with an expired registration and had a sheath knife in his glove box, and the police just let him go because they felt it was too far away for him to reach. I have never, ever seen a knife related case where the knife was stored in the trunk of a vehicle.

I've wondered about this many times. Is there any definition of what constitutes a Bowie knife, dirk, or dagger? Seems like another intentionally vague law intended to allow the State to prosecute whenever they want. Dagger is a pretty general description of nearly anything with a fixed blade (they do not specify push dagger, but I'm guessing that is covered under the definition). Just wondering if anyone has seen a case that actually helps define what a dagger, dirk or Bowie knife actual is, in the eyes of MD courts.

Both Polk (above) and Hutton (a case I know fairly intimately) establish that a bowie can be any single-edge fixed blade if it's concealed and possessed under circumstances suggesting criminal intent. Hutton was found not guilty because though his knives were concealed, he was cooperative and clearly had no criminal intent.

stimpy17

Mar 10, 2015
    Western Maryland
    Understand we're going to move to MD soon and it's been a real learning curve. Having a LTC for the last 20+ years in PA, I now have to deal with a state that doesn't trust me to protect myself and ownership is in accordance with some list that can change daily or by cosmetic attributes, and yes, we'll be joining any and all 2nd amendment, right to carry groups.

I could go on.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom