• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Spyderco has released a version of their Manix 2 with back lock instead of the ball bearing lock. A step backwards in my opinion. :sad20:

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    Spyderco has released a version of their Manix 2 with back lock instead of the ball bearing lock. A step backwards in my opinion. :sad20:

Agreed. The Manix 2 is an excellent knife, and is one of my favorites. A back lock changes that, though.

For me, a knife with a back lock is only preferable to a slip joint. Liner lock/frame lock or axis/ball bearing are the way to go.

Back lock is ambidextrous, but isn't as strong, and I feel it's both more difficult and less safe to manipulate one handed.

I was fortunate enough to visit the Spyderco factory store recently, and was able to handle just about everything in their current lineup. There were a few knives that I really liked, and they almost came home with me, but I ultimately decided against them, because of the back lock.

(I know it's my loss, but sometimes I'm too particular for my own good...)

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    It's a re-release of the original Manix with 4 position clip and back-lock, the BB lock came out with the Manix 2. I do prefer the BB lock, but nobody makes a backlock(technically midlock) like spyderco. It's easy to open and close one-handed, secure and strong. I have a few midlock Spideys and especially given you don't need steel handles or liners, or the width of other locking designs, they can give you a very light and thin knife with a strong lock.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I made a post on the Spyderco forum with a comment something like "what the hell - a backlock Manix?" I was accused of "hate speech". :) I have a bunch of backlocks - they are fine - just given the choice between a backlock and BB - I'll go BB. Even better; a compression lock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom