• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lunchbox369

Nov 22, 2018
    Looking for advise of which ccw permit to get. Maryland would be ideal but I'm not sure if its actually obtainable by "regular" citizens. I want it to cover Pennsylvania and Virginia. And from last I understood even if I could get my maryland it would only cover md so what would be best to cover the surrounding states. Basicly I'm not sure what is the best direction to go and I know someone here can point me in the right direction.

If you're a MD resident, you can't carry in PA without having a MD permit and getting a PA non-resident. You can get a VA non-resident and carry in VA, but you're still without MD and PA.
    To get a MD permit, you need "Good and Substantial" reason. That typically means being a business owner or having a clearly perceived risk than an average citizen (delivering narcotics to pharmacies in Baltimore, etc)

lunchbox369

Nov 22, 2018
    Well that just sucks. Somehow I dont think my job will qualify me though it has plenty of risks since I cant carry at work

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    I would suggest a G26.

For clarity, CCW stands for concealed carry weapon. We're a bunch of smart asses.

To answer your question, check out sites like this.
    https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Look for states that allow non-residents to get permits that are honored by multiple states. Utah is a good example.

Getting a MD permit is tough. Check out the MD 2A thread "How to get a MD permit" to start your research.

You must either be a PA resident or have a permit from your state of residency to get a PA permit. OC in PA is fine everywhere except for Philly. There's a state of emergency in PA now for the "opioid crisis", and many think that means OC is only legal for those with permits. I don't know much about that.

Good luck.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Looking for advise of which ccw permit to get. Maryland would be ideal but I'm not sure if its actually obtainable by "regular" citizens. I want it to cover Pennsylvania and Virginia. And from last I understood even if I could get my maryland it would only cover md so what would be best to cover the surrounding states. Basicly I'm not sure what is the best direction to go and I know someone here can point me in the right direction.
    I think the Texas non-resident permit still allows you to carry in PA, but I also think you have to go to Texas to get the non-resident permit.

This may have been negated by the PA attorney general.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    For clarity, CCW stands for concealed carry weapon. We're a bunch of smart asses.

To answer your question, check out sites like this.

https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Look for states that allow non-residents to get permits that are honored by multiple states. Utah is a good example.

Getting a MD permit is tough. Check out the MD 2A thread "How to get a MD permit" to start your research.

You must either be a PA resident or have a permit from your state of residency to get a PA permit. OC in PA is fine everywhere except for Philly. There's a state of emergency in PA now for the "opioid crisis", and many think that means OC is only legal for those with permits. I don't know much about that.

Good luck.
    To further clarify, make sure your thread title accurately pertains to your subject. If there is confusion about acronyms, there is a thread for that. The OP would have the link to this if they had posted in the introduction section.

Sent from my tricorder

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    **** Note- website address is corrected *****

Handgun law dot US is a better source, as Gary keeps it very up to date

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    I thought PA cut off reciprocity with all non resident permits and Virginia resident permits as well.

Yep, PA AG screwed all that up. The only way to get a PA license is to get your MD first. No one has mentioned this yet, but either Utah or Florida (non-resident) will allow you to carry in Delaware. And, VA now recognizes any permit so those would cover you there as well

To the OP, if your job's threats would possibly extend into your private life (for example, if you drive a marked company vehicle or it is well known in your local community who you work for so that people could recognize you outside of work) that might help with your MD permit. And FWIW there are about 20 states that recognize a MD permit. Some of those are constitutional carry where no permit is needed.

lunchbox369

Nov 22, 2018
    So some clarification. I didnt post in introductions because I did on the account I started years ago but forgot the password and the email to it no longer works. I will admit I am not the best with words so I'm sorry for any confusion. These attitudes are why I stopped visiting this site.

I work as an emt/firefighter so I havent seen any good reason that I could get a md permit but maybe I'm missing something. I knew pa used to accept Utah and others but didnt keep up with the changes.

lunchbox369

Nov 22, 2018
    I dont mind paying if I have a good chance of getting it. I'm just not sure how good they really are. I'm sure having access to narcs and working in some of the fantastic areas of west balt co may help.

I guess more then anything I'm looking for someone who may be able to help guide me towards if it's worth applying or not.

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    I dont mind paying if I have a good chance of getting it. I'm just not sure how good they really are. I'm sure having access to narcs and working in some of the fantastic areas of west balt co may help.

I guess more then anything I'm looking for someone who may be able to help guide me towards if it's worth applying or not.

Try to make it to an upcoming HPRB meeting. Lots of firefighters and EMTs show up to get denials overturned or restrictions removed. You'll quickly get a good sense of whether your circumstances are good enough to meet MSP's moving target. You'll also meet some real good folks who are fighting for your rights and will be more than willing to help you.

j.smooth4

Feb 24, 2017
    Laurel, MD
    Damn i just got my florida permit i guess its impossible for me to get the nh permit now to carry in pa that they changed that law wow...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You can still easily and quickly get a NH non- res , it just won't work for Concealed in Pa .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom