• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 11wideglide

Feb 3, 2017
    Baltco
    Hey all,

My girlfriend was given a gun safe recently it is a newer Field and Stream 16 (or so) safe. It does not have any kind of shelving in it, its actually lined with carpet. We were going to tear the carpet out (assuming there is felt under it), but we need a solution for shelving / barrel rest for her guns. I already contacted F&S and they said they do not sell just the shelves. Has anyone ever made shelves and barrel rests before? I am assuming just cheaper 3/8" (some kind of wood) with felt stapled to it than secured to the safe with the tracks. Just wanted to get a few opinions or ideas. Thanks in advance!

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Another vote for the rifle rods. Will be much faster to do and hold more in the end.

I don't think I would tear the carpet out of it, could end up with a mess unless you plan to redo the entire interior.

If you need a shelf low enough for the rods to work that should be doable. However, hard to say without pics or more info.

May be easier to build up with a few ammo cans (or similar on the bottom) if needed to get the height right for the rods to work.

11wideglide

Feb 3, 2017
    Baltco
    I will have to look into the rods, might be able to make a top shelf so she can have storage on top, guns below with the rods. This is the safe interior as it comes from the factory. This would work perfect

Another vote for the rifle rods. Will be much faster to do and hold more in the end.

I don't think I would tear the carpet out of it, could end up with a mess unless you plan to redo the entire interior.

If you need a shelf low enough for the rods to work that should be doable. However, hard to say without pics or more info.

May be easier to build up with a few ammo cans (or similar on the bottom) if needed to get the height right for the rods to work.

Attachments

• field-and-stream-sportsman-inside-300x300.jpg
      field-and-stream-sportsman-inside-300x300.jpg
      11 KB · Views: 7,599

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i have a similar-sized safe that i bought just to hold ammo. it has a divider in the middle (from top to bottom), shelves on the right and then the left side was open for long guns. to add shelves on the left side, i screwed some furring strips into the left side of the safe inner wall and the left side of the divider and then just cut some shelves out of plywood and rested them on the furring strips. i drilled a small hole in the back so that the cord for a elec dehumidifier could be run thru that.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    I bought a good safe secondhand that had no shelving, just the metal internal walls. As you mentioned, I also used plywood to make my back/side walls and shelves, though I attached carpeting to the plywood for cushioning. I got the carpeting for almost nothing as a end-of-the-roll sale item at Lowes. I do not have enough long guns that I needed to install barrel rods, but if I did, I would.

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    I have a couple Safes but the Problem is Multiplication....Never enough Room! These have simple rippled vertical barrel rails and a Shelf at the Top , I made Wire "S" rods to hang some pistols on.

Attachments

• Safes 001.jpg
      Safes 001.jpg
      105.2 KB · Views: 12,366
    • Safes 002.jpg
      Safes 002.jpg
      75.9 KB · Views: 7,456
    • Safes 003.jpg
      Safes 003.jpg
      99.4 KB · Views: 7,637
    • Safes 004.jpg
      Safes 004.jpg
      73.8 KB · Views: 7,518
    • Safes 005.jpg
      Safes 005.jpg
      118.4 KB · Views: 8,248

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Damn BootKnife!

If anyone needs wood cut I'll help and may have scraps (cabinet grade stuff) that I'm happy to give. I need to find that wood project thread.
    I was in HD yesterday and noticed some of the rubber door seal may make good material to rest a barrel on (not foam) around a slotted shelve??

Good Luck OP, your on the right track.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Make your shelves from 3/4" Baltic birch ply (no voids). Make sure you seal the wood with poly. It will prevent any moisture in the wood from attacking your nice metal guns. Felt is available from Joanne Fabric in many colors. I use it for shadowboxes and glue it with rattle-can contact cement.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Damn BootKnife!

If anyone needs wood cut I'll help and may have scraps (cabinet grade stuff) that I'm happy to give. I need to find that wood project thread.
    I was in HD yesterday and noticed some of the rubber door seal may make good material to rest a barrel on (not foam) around a slotted shelve??

Good Luck OP, your on the right track.

Rubber seal might work pretty well. Agreed on not using foam. Closed cell may be ok but not worth the chance.

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    I do not use Foam as it can attract Moisture http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=116545 this is a post from the Past and says it all! I do suggest only using very dry wood and Sealing with three coats of good Polyurethane ...You will see two Red Oak Vertical Braces under the Shelf on the Steelwater Safe. That shelf collapsed due to the Cheap Shelf Brackets supplied with that safe....Replaced them with Stanley Products but also braced the Shelf.Steelwater Never Made good on the Damaged Pistols that hit the Floor....Would never Recommend them.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Your safe makes my head feel like it's going to explode.

I know what you mean, they make my safes look half way organized. I do like the idea of the gun socks on some of the long guns, as they would prevent most minor nicks on the most valuable ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom