• ...and so much more!
  • SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Nah...38...

Again, I refer you to your signature.

I was not blasting you for not using your PPE. If that is what strokes it for you, so be it. What upset me was you discouraging, and belittling a rookie from using the proper safety equipment when he doesn't know what to watch out for. As a veteran caster, you should know that all it takes is the wrong drop of sweat or moisture in the wrong place at the wrong time to really fvck your day up in a major way. I cast outside for the most part, so I usually do not wear a mask, but if I move into the shop, I do wear one. I also use a face shield, welding gloves, leather apron, jeans, and long sleeves with boots. I know how to do things without spilling the milk, but I have had lead explosions. I can see accidentally yanking my bottom pour off the bench, or knocking the pot off the fryer base. I have seen a split rim come apart and almost decapitate someone when a dumb ass tire guy was airing up a tire on the floor when he was told by no less than 3 people to take it to the lower shop and put it in the cage. My point is that accidents do happen. Believe me...I didn't start out wearing my PPE for various activities. I learned the hard way...several times.

I may not look cool while I am doing something, and I may be an ******* when I tell my wife to get the goddamn kids and the goddamn dog in the goddamn house while I am cutting the goddamn grass for the 8 millionth time, but everyone ends up the same way they started with all of their parts, and I don't have to make any emergency room visits.

WoW... I'm not all that religious, but, dang man... come on.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I guess I am not as tough as you guys. I wear my seat belt, safety glasses when reloading or shooting, and when using power tools. I had a minor eye injury once, that made the point to me. I don't need to impress anyone with how tough I am as I holler "watch this!"

I am putting the safety gear on.

I'm not sure where the "showing off" comes in to the thread, but, where were we ?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Things you can do after casting lead without eye protection:

1. Audition for the remake of Escape From New York, the role of "Snake" Plishkin.

2. Spokesperson for Captain Morgan Rum.

3. Star in a Stevie Wonder Retrospective.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Bottom line, scars from skin grafts look sexy, and everyone loves the pirate look (eye patch). Remember that while I'm banging your girlfriend, woosies. I don't need depth perception for that. I just stop when I hit bottom. Yee haa.

The rumor is you never hit bottom cause you burned your junk off in a casting incident. :D

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I have a Lee production pot with a bottom valve. I understand what you are saying about overkill on protection, but I'd prefer to err on the side of caution.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    Use all of the PPE mentioned and you should consider some substantial leather boots. Much of our modern sporty footgear tends to melt if a splash of lead falls on them. (a cotton shirt will also not melt)
    A noted above, little bit of water on that mishapen bullet that goes back into the pot will ruin your day.
    DocAitch

Americus

Feb 9, 2013
    I've been thinking about casting outside but I live in Baltimore City so I'm a bit leery of casting bullets in plain sight.

just say you're doing an alternative art project and these are decorations... if anyone asks to see the piece shoot a 2x10 a bunch of times

Gordon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2011
    Baltimore City
    Getting burned is the easy part its the healing thats a bitch,wear your PPE. I have melted tens of thousands of pounds of metal and still here.

You can lift lead oxide into the air while fluxing. Plus, there's all that nasty crap on wheel weights and other scraps. I suggest serious casters do a lead wipe test in the area around the smelting pot.

I've burned myself with dripping solder enough times to do my best to avoid it. I don't cast, but if I did, leather gloves, a vent fan, goggles, and a face respirator would be among my safety gear. Leather shoes too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom