• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chauncey

Feb 17, 2019
    1. I am a DE resident and want to Legally transport to and precision shoot several AR's at a range I go to in MD. Call me paranoid or whatever, bur that's my goal. I would prefer to not have to use a designed single shot AR lower because it changes the rifle geometry and ergonomics related to classic shooting positions.

2. I would like to accomplish this by using a device that will turn my AR into a single shot rifle. The uppers are not HBAR's and have threaded barrels with removable flash hiders.

3. Is a single shot or fixed, reduced capacity non-HBAR, non-SBR, non-pistol, post-Ban, .223/5.56 AR Maryland legal?

4. Is there a recommended, manufactured device that accomplishes this from a MD legal perspective (I am aware of several AR single shot "sleds")?

5. Is there a method I must use to make this modification "permanent"?

6. What documentation would you recommend I keep with me in the event of an encounter with a Maryland LEO?

Thanks in advance.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...er-group-ar-15-223-remington-556x45mm-nitride

http://www.jlbillet.com/kalikey

Or a regular side charger upper.

Then you’d need to install the gas block backwards to block the gas port. That would likely cover you.

But if you were going to that level of effort and expense, I’d just build an HBAR upper if you really want to transport it in to Maryland. Unless you are doing 2/3 gun matches, a heavier barrel is likely going to be a lot better for precision match shooting anyway. The extra weight steadies offhand shots (and even off the bench) and reduces heat wander on your groups.

I’d imagine you wouldn’t need it permanent, so long as you aren’t transporting it with the parts necessary to convert it back. But if you want it permanent weld the barrel gas port closed.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Stand by for the conclusion of our current General Assembly session, and we'll get back to you

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    This does present an interesting dilemma.

One would think that a DE drivers license and explaination would be enough for local LEOs but sadly I know that isnt true.

Realistically, the answer is this: engrave "HBAR" on the barrel.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That exact scenario of out of state competitors intering to shoot in Matches located in Maryland was debated in Committee back in '13 .

The Delegates on our side tried to add language for that purpose, but was unsuccessful .

So if our OOS friends owned prior to Oct 1 , 2013 , they are Grandfathered . Purchased or built post 10/01/13 , must meet same standards as eligible to be sold in Maryland . Yes life in general, and Maryland in particular suck .

As of current .

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    This does present an interesting dilemma.

One would think that a DE drivers license and explaination would be enough for local LEOs but sadly I know that isnt true.

Realistically, the answer is this: engrave "HBAR" on the barrel.

Your first suggestion doesn’t matter. If they weren’t possessed or bought before 10/1/2013 they aren’t legal in Marlyand. Out of state residents can only bring them in if that is the case. For post 10/1/2013 they must be marketed as heavy barrel or HBAR or stamped that way.

If you stamp it yourself I don’t think that’s going to fly. It probably isn’t THAT hard for MSP/local police to figure out of the manufacturer originally stamped it as such.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Maybe I'm missing something, happens more often than I'd like. ;). How are local, State, or Feds going to know if it was owned out of state prior to or after the cutoff date? Are you going to need to travel with a sales receipt?

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Your first suggestion doesn’t matter. If they weren’t possessed or bought before 10/1/2013 they aren’t legal in Marlyand. Out of state residents can only bring them in if that is the case. For post 10/1/2013 they must be marketed as heavy barrel or HBAR or stamped that way.

If you stamp it yourself I don’t think that’s going to fly. It probably isn’t THAT hard for MSP/local police to figure out of the manufacturer originally stamped it as such.

From what I understand, a manufacturer may stamp a barrel...we can't. That would include a gun shop or smith that's classified as a manufacturer. They can modify barrels they sell.

How would they know? Who knows. I ordered a barrel from Hardened Arms and they stamped it for me but it is just an extra marking that doesn't look like the rest of the font on the barrel. I do have my receipt that states it was stamped by them.

IANAL

chauncey

Feb 17, 2019
    Thanks but a dedicated upper doesnt accomplish my goal.

My goal is to use a dedicated single shot lower with my competition upper, to practice precision shooting associated with my shooting discipline.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    A call to BATFE and inquiry of form 4479 (is that the correct federal form)

Yes, a call to the ATF. They can’t look at the 4473, those aren’t retained. ATF on behalf of the police or the police themselves can inquiry with the original manufacturer and trace chain of custody. Unless there were private sale
    Transactions in there I doubt it would take more than a day or two for them to trace it.

I doubt they’d bother looking any of it up unless you were fishy. If they are getting you on some other criminal charge, you better bet they are going to scrutinize every gun you have with you. Only in extreme circumstances (IE the cop being extreme) would something like a traffic stop lead to that sort of thing. Maybe/possibly because you had an out of state license it might make it more likely they’d trace the firearms, on the premise maybe you didn’t know MD laws (guess) making it more likely you didn’t know your guns might be banned or something.

The only assault weapons/FSA2013 charges I have heard of it was either piled on charges where they have you for something else and then traced and proved the gun wasn’t grandfathered or it was obviously, like you would have been 17 when FSA2013 was passed so you couldn’t have legally possessed an AR-15 or AK47 or whatever at the time.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As time goes by , the date of mfg will become increasingly telling .

Meanwhile , back at the OP .

He is implying he does Not possess a potentially Grandfathered lower reciever , so presumably that line of conversation is moot .

Obviously a true single shot lower would be unquestionably legal .

The rest of his inquiries are kind of California - like , ie seeking a solution like a bullet button . ie reversable modifications to existing lower .

This avenue is unexplored under Maryland law . For Now . Get back to us in about six weeks .( Not being facetious .)

chauncey

Feb 17, 2019
    As time goes by , the date of mfg will become increasingly telling .

Meanwhile , back at the OP .

He is implying he does Not possess a potentially Grandfathered lower reciever , so presumably that line of conversation is moot .

Obviously a true single shot lower would be unquestionably legal .

The rest of his inquiries are kind of California - like , ie seeking a solution like a bullet button . ie reversable modifications to existing lower .

This avenue is unexplored under Maryland law . For Now . Get back to us in about six weeks .( Not being facetious .)

10.4 thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom