• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    In a discussion I had with a 'friendly' delegate, part of the concern was what the Steaming Pile of Frosh might have been able to do in opposition to any Pro bills that were signed.

Craig Wolf must win.

He has a long row to hoe. From the low-turnout primary results and undervotes, looks like Republicans don't know who he is.

Good news is it looks like Dems don't know who his opponent is, either.

Wolf definitely needs name and achievements recognition. Hope he has a plan to do it.

Mr H

Banana'd
    He has a long row to hoe. From the low-turnout primary results and undervotes, looks like Republicans don't know who he is.

Good news is it looks like Dems don't know who his opponent is, either.

Wolf definitely needs name and achievements recognition. Hope he has a plan to do it.

The bolded is interesting.

LG Rutherford was at that event, and in his comments he mentioned that Frosh lacks statewide name recognition! In speaking to people since, I've gotten blank stares more often than good or bad reactions when Frosh is mentioned.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    The bolded is interesting.

LG Rutherford was at that event, and in his comments he mentioned that Frosh lacks statewide name recognition! In speaking to people since, I've gotten blank stares more often than good or bad reactions when Frosh is mentioned.

A huge percentage of people in every state have no idea who their state or federal officials at some or all levels are. They vote by party.

AG is obscure enough that most of the electorate probably doesn't have a clue.

Craig Wolf needs a hook and something memorable that people can attach to his name.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Wasn't the bump stock ban passed with 7 days left? If so he has to pass or veto before the end of session and they can over ride his veto.
    The red flag he could have vetoed but they would be using it against him right now.

Nope, it was passed after the "7 day" deadline, as was the Red Flag bill.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Wondering the effect that Jealous will have on Hogan. Will he move further to the left, or speak out against Jealous's policy platforms and for more limited government? He ran against increasing taxes last time, so I would expect consistency on this issue (and thus support of more limited government).

I would expect him to stay close to the "center" as he has been, but he (his campaign staff) will more than likely come out with counters to Jealous's policy positions.

At the same time, Hogan's been doing his best to depress support from Trump voters, immigration control advocates, and 2A proponents in the state. Some might be political calculation, indifference towards these constituencies, etc. But Jealous is going to energize his base and be a more capable opponent than Brown (coming off of 8 years of O'Malley with people receptive to change). It's not like Trump voters, immigration control advocates, and 2A supporters are going to vote for Jealous, but I wonder if Hogan is going to make any effort to fire up these voters, or punt and hope that fear of Jealous will help with Republican turnout. I think this play-it-safe, adopt more left-leaning-positions strategy would be a mistake as some of these Democrats (that vote in polls that they like Hogan) will vote in the actual election for Jealous, if simply to send a message to Trump (while at the same time saying that Hogan is a nice guy).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I doubt he will make any meaningful move to become more approachable to 2A folks, the most he did in that regard last election was a pre-primary meeting with the state level organizations, and then blew us off after that. I don't see him changing that this time around.

He will continue to work on the unaffiliated in this state, as well as the moderate Democrats that do not like the far left policies of some of the candidates.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    In a discussion I had with a 'friendly' delegate, part of the concern was what the Steaming Pile of Frosh might have been able to do in opposition to any Pro bills that were signed.

Craig Wolf must win.

Hogan has signed two in his first term, I have yet to see anything from the other side about them. He also signed two against the 2A, and even if he had vetoed them, the odds are still out on how the other side would have spun them.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    They still would have used his veto during this fall campaign as potent fodder to defeat him and elect Jealous.

Maybe, maybe not, the jury is still out, and since he didn't veto them, we will never know for sure.

Then, who decides whether it's similar enough or the same legislation that's being "brought back" versus something different? There are lots of ways to skin a cat. With the Dems in full control in the MGA, AG office, and the governorship, they would. Right?

Nothing prevents a vetoed bill from coming back and being tried again. You also assume that they will win the AG office, and that they will pick up more seats in the House and Senate, when the Dems have lost seats in the last three elections in the House.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Hogan for POTUS? Might have a chance, running as a Democrat. Another few years of the far-left alienating everyone, the Dems will be desperate for a sane candidate.

The Rep brass might like him, but I don't think he'd appeal to the base. But what do I know, anyway? If I was as smart as all that, why am I living in MD?

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I'd like to see all the Republicrats in this state refrain from supporting, campaigning for, or voting for Hogan. Either that or inviting him on this board to answer questions from the members. At this point, after tying that damn Purple Metro Line around our necks, I'd be for voting for his opposition. We have to shake off the dead wood before we can put another Republican in office, and Hogan is keeping us from putting another Republican in his seat.

At this point, what can they do to saddle us with more repressive laws than we already have?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It can always get worse.

It sucks right now, but it can get a hell of a lot worse. Especially seeing how legal challenges go in MD.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I'd like to see all the Republicrats in this state refrain from supporting, campaigning for, or voting for Hogan. Either that or inviting him on this board to answer questions from the members. At this point, after tying that damn Purple Metro Line around our necks, I'd be for voting for his opposition. We have to shake off the dead wood before we can put another Republican in office, and Hogan is keeping us from putting another Republican in his seat.

At this point, what can they do to saddle us with more repressive laws than we already have?

Ben Jealous has a plan.:sad20:

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Never heard the "P word" in connection with Hogan before. At least not in my conversations.

I could, however, see him popping for a Senate run. But I said the same about Ehrlich too, soooo....

I see the anti trump republicans looking to try and convince him to primary challenge trump in 2 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom