• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I don't mean to take this thread in a different direction, but I'm in the process building an AR. My lower is complete, but I still need an upper. I was afraid to buy a complete upper with a shorty barrel like 11" or so, because I thought that would be considered a pistol. If you have a regular rifle stock, can the barrel be any length you want?

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    If your lower is complete and has a buffer tube with a stock on it then, no you can't put any upper with a overall barrel length shorter than a 16" on it without making it an SBR which makes it an NFA item. If your lower has a pistol buffer tube on it and no way of mounting a stock, then you can put a shorter barrel upper on it and have an AR pistol. I would make sure you use a dedicated PISTOL BUFFER TUBE if you do make it a pistol. Be sure not to put a forward grip on the pistol forearm as this will also make it an NFA item. There are a lot of rules and regs concerning these things.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    As long as the stock has a legal useful purpose...you're okay. There's a few ways this works. You have AR rifles. You have the parts to convert the AR pistol in to a 16"+ barreled rifle. But yeah, don't have only an AR pistol with regular buffer tube and the stock in "close proximity".

Last edited:

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    I have read here, on other forums, and in ATF letters that in reguards to AR or AK pistols, angled forward grips (AFG) are allowed, but vertical forward pistol grips are prohibited.

So let me ask this question, is the forward grip on an AMD-65 and AFG? I measured my AMD-65 front grip today and it is 66.67 degrees in relationship to te rifle bore.

e868ef0b4ec9d8399d2a5058fa6c4f86.image.456x275.jpg

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    No, it's a VFG. Academic anyways, since you can't make an AOW from a rifle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    No, it's a VFG. Academic anyways, since you can't make an AOW from a rifle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

At what angle does a vertical forwad grip become an angled forward grip? Is it 10-degrees, 20, 45? Is it the shape/configuration of the grip?

So what if you were to take a virgin AK receiver, and AMD-65 parts kit, 12" US barrel and built an AMD-65 Pistol (no folding stock) using the factory forward grip - The weapon would look like the one below. Since this weapon was never a rifle, would it be a pistol with AFG, or an AOW?

Attachments

• AMD-65 Pistol.jpg
      AMD-65 Pistol.jpg
      11.6 KB · Views: 400

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    At what angle does a vertical forwad grip become an angled forward grip? Is it 10-degrees, 20, 45? Is it the shape/configuration of the grip?

So what if you were to take a virgin AK receiver, and AMD-65 parts kit, 12" US barrel and built an AMD-65 Pistol (no folding stock) using the factory forward grip - The weapon would look like the one below. Since this weapon was never a rifle, would it be a pistol with AFG, or an AOW?

That firearm would be an AOW.

The ATF letter specifically addresses the Magpul AFG only.

64_333_popup.jpg

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    So I have a few stripped lowers. I would realy like an AR pistol. So all I have to do is build it? No paperwork of "just in case" type letter I should have? Any legal eagle types here that can give a definitive answer?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Provided the lower has never been previously assembled as a rifle, your good to go.

The water's have been muddied some, so that's the short and sweet answer to your question.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Provided the lower has never been previously assembled as a rifle, your good to go.
    As long as it was first a pistol, you can convert back and forth between a pistol and rifle configuration. So here's how it works in my mind. Put your AR together, everything except for the butt-stock. Hold it up in the air and proclaim loudly for all the world to hear, "look at my AR15 pistol". Then put your buttstock on if you like (this assumes you have a 16"+ barrel). Now you can go back and forth between rifle and pistol (being careful about barrel length).

These laws are obviously written by someone who knows little to nothing about firearms. It pathetic lol
    I am not so sure what it really is. On the surface it looks like incompetence, but I am beginning to think they know exactly what they're doing. Sure, part of it is intentionally having incompetent people in certain positions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom