• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chazp89

Sep 1, 2017
    Time to pick some brains...

What would be the longest produced firearm of any given design? I’ll break it down into a couple parts:

Longest serving rifle, pistol and shotgun used continuously by a major military without massive design changes?

Longest produced commercial rifle pistol and shotgun continuously available in mostly its original form?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Germans used the Mauser action for a long damn time

Not just the Germans. Everybody. The Israelis were contracting new 98 Mausers into the 60s. But that's really only 60 plus years.

Look at the AR 15. It's been in continuous production nearly that long.

Geeze, hand me down my Geritol...

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Not just the Germans. Everybody. The Israelis were contracting new 98 Mausers into the 60s. But that's really only 60 plus years.

Look at the AR 15. It's been in continuous production nearly that long.

Geeze, hand me down my Geritol...

Well, by that count the Enfield action was in use prior to WWI through the Ishapores in the 60s as well. I guess the first Mauser would've been the 71? Still older.

The AK is pretty damn old too

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Commercially I know you can commonly buy many varients of flintlock rifles dating back to the 1700s. I'd bet there is a company making matchlocks too

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    M2HB

Attachments

• m2 008.jpg
      m2 008.jpg
      51 KB · Views: 352

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    A lot of the contenders posted are either evolutions of the original design concept (Mauser bolt action and even arguably 1911 vs 1911A1 and M16/AR-15/M4) or designs which are now being made/reproduced but which were not in continuous production (Colt SAA, Remington rolling block).

So which models are/were produced the longest and/or were in longest continuous service?

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    This is an interesting study. How about some actual dates and year calculations instead of just throwing out names? Maybe somebody will pull together a chart afterwards for comparison.

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    I would have to say the M91 Mosin Nagant if you are counting the receiver as the firearm it has not changed. Production years would be 1891 for the M91 to 1985 for the TKIV85 with the Finnish TKIV85 still being used currently.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    I think Marlin's marketing department used to claim that distinction for their Model 39.

Yes Sir, Marlin Model 1891, 92, 39, & 39A would be my commercial rifle pick too. Winchester Model 94 was in the running until production halted temporarily in 2006.

I'd go with Colt SAA for commercial handgun.

For commercial shotgun, The Auto-5 went 100 years without a break in production. You'd think some old breach action would take the record, but I can't think of any in production that long.

Solid pick I think for "major military without major design changes". Been in constant US service since 1933. Mosins longer (world-wide), maybe Mausers too (like others have posted). The 1911 is king in the US though, and is "still" in service with the US military. Admittedly not widespread, but it remained in several SpecOps communities continuously since the M9 was adopted. The USMC procured >10,000 more (designated M45A1) just a few years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom