• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Well, got my UV light and I had a cheap Walmart camo fleece shirt that looks like it has colored sparkles all over it and it’s all over my hunting clothes. It’s getting thrown away tonight.

My crossbow hangs on a single point harness and normally sideways in the stand. Look at Thais strings glow. It looks it has batteries

My daughters ten point glows just as bad in orange

Attachments

• C345874D-A28A-424B-9E6C-B22A0693846A.jpg
      C345874D-A28A-424B-9E6C-B22A0693846A.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 343

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Tonight I sat on the edge of a patch of smaller trees in the middle of a cornfield that is surrounded by a woodline. The sun was shining on half of the west side of the patch so I had to go to the middle of the patch to get in the shade. There was a N/NW wind hitting me and the woodline was on the north side of the area. After about ten minutes I looked behind me and saw 2 does that saw me look around and may have smelled me. They vanished into the patch of trees.

At duck I saw a small doe on the NW edge of the clearing. I watched her browse along the edge of the clearing and she looked in my direction but didn't spook.

Same clothes as last night.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Well, got my UV light and I had a cheap Walmart camo fleece shirt that looks like it has colored sparkles all over it and it’s all over my hunting clothes. It’s getting thrown away tonight.

My crossbow hangs on a single point harness and normally sideways in the stand. Look at Thais strings glow. It looks it has batteries

My daughters ten point glows just as bad in orange

Maybe you can paint the strings to cover up the UV.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    I think most of this is a bunch of crap. I've been hunting for fifty plus years and don't worry about scent blockers and uv or ir or any other crap. My middle son worries about all this crab. Special bins for boots clothes and everything else, detergents for this and that. In the end his kill ratio is no better then mine when comparing hours in the field to kills.

+1

I hunt primarily out of a tree stand. Went with jeans and a black jacket one day after work. Saw just as many as I would with the scent control and camo. Movement will bust you no matter what you wear or smell like.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I think most of this is a bunch of crap. I've been hunting for fifty plus years and don't worry about scent blockers and uv or ir or any other crap. My middle son worries about all this crab. Special bins for boots clothes and everything else, detergents for this and that. In the end his kill ratio is no better then mine when comparing hours in the field to kills.

Personally, I don't consider my "Kill Ratio" to be important to me but you guys are allowed to kill way more deer than we are here in Iowa.

I've passed up a lot of deer and have put my sights on many just for the heck of it.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I bought UV Killer and will be trying that later on. Muzzleloader hunting and the spikes and yearlings did not notice me at all sitting in the stand, "without the crossbow" The fletching is also lighting up really bright on my daughters compound. You'd think these hunting tools would not have this problem.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    +1

I hunt primarily out of a tree stand. Went with jeans and a black jacket one day after work. Saw just as many as I would with the scent control and camo. Movement will bust you no matter what you wear or smell like.

Absolutely.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Tonight I sat on the edge of a cornfield in a little exit of a game trail. I watched a small fork deer (a "Forky") for about an hour about 100 yards from me to the east. I was sitting on the western side of the field and the wind was coming out of the NW.

My rifle slipped from my shooting sticks and made noise (tribal members get an extra 2 weeks for gun season). The deer looked at me but went back to browsing.

At the end of shooting light a much bigger buck came out of the woods but I couldn't tell what kind of rack it had but the main beams looked pretty awesome. I quietly snuck back to my car as darkness set in.

The farmers were harvesting soybeans in a field about a 1/4 mile to the west so I think I would've seen way more deer if they hadn't been doing that. Tomorrow the wind is going to shift to the south so I'm going to have to try a different spot.

I might try a cornfield on the east side of a river bluff that's been harvested early this week. There should be a doe coming out at dusk whick is what I want right now (meat deer).

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Yea, I am going to see about replacements from a local shop in Hagerstown. Going to call Killer Instinct as ask them why they use such UV reflective strings. It seems the colored dacron reflects UV.

My daughter Hoyt has no UV reflection. I guess I'd prefer just plain black dacron than this colored stuff that glows like a neon sign.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Its not a reflection, it's fluorescence. None of us would be able to see a reflection or emission of UV light. Fluorescence happens at the longer visible wavelengths.

So long as the bow isn't in direct sunlight there's very little chance a deer would see it that way. Ambient daylight, not under direct illumination, has very little UV character to it.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I am not so sure about that one. These deer were staring at me when using the crossbow and didn't have a clue I was there with the muzzle loader. The string is glowing like a torch under the black light and the only think I can find that is.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Maybe they did see it. My string looks exactly the same and I've had deer walking past me every time I'm out. Had an 8 point older buck walk right at me Friday evening.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I am not so sure about that one. These deer were staring at me when using the crossbow and didn't have a clue I was there with the muzzle loader. The string is glowing like a torch under the black light and the only think I can find that is.

Atsko is way ahead of us. They have a beeswax with UV killer dye in it.

http://www.atsko.com/u-v-block-bowstring-wax-1-25-oz/

https://www.amazon.com/Atsko-U-V-Block-String-Wax/dp/B0002ITTI4?ref_=mw_olp_product_details

It's only 8 dollars and free shipping.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    All hydrocarbons fluoresce to some degree; Dacron, being a hydrocarbon will fluoresce, but I think the question of this thread is whether deer can see farther into the blue-violet side of the spectrum than humans. Fluorescence and whether something reflects UV or not are probably not directly related, the black light test is moot. I cannot imagine a biological advantage for deer to see UV.

There are some atmospheric conditions where the ratio of visible to UV has higher UV than cloudless noon and under those conditions objects that fluoresce seem brighter than normal. I noticed this a couple decades ago in a shady parking lot just before sunset one afternoon. The fluorescent oranges and greens popped like crazy as if they themselves were lights, because they were - the background invisible UV was being converted to visible. The clear hard plastic used for a lot of packaging fluoresces purple. The higher the UV/visible ratio is the more purple the clear plastic will appear (esp around the edges).

If you have a black light you can observe the fluorescence of undyed oil in a cup. Under normal visible light, it will appear amber/brown. With higher UV it will fluoresce green, blue or purple. I first noticed this looking into a bucket of oil at my dad's repair shop when I was about 7 years old, the oil appeared to be amber and green at the same time, because it is amber, but fluoresces green. Just a wild ass guess, but since the natural light color leans toward the middle of the visible spectrum (yellow-ish), I would be surprised if it reflected UV at all and I still don't think deer can see UV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom