• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sev

"Vern"
    Mar 18, 2010
    formerly silver spring
    After my ridiculous experience buying a suppressor without a trust, I want to have one pulled up before I buy my next.

My issue is I'm trying to determine if the "DIY / Quicken" trust will suffice, or if going to a lawyer and having a trust drawn up is a better route.

I also saw an advertisement for a company in VA called Arsenal Attorneys that seem to be well regarded. Is their service worth the price?

I'm in over my head with the legal stuff. I understand the concept of you get what you pay for but I don't know how true that is in this instant

Thanks

Pretoria78

URX Fan
    Mar 30, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I had an attorney draw mine up when I was deployed. Took no time at all, and I've had no issues at all with NFA purchases. I'd say that having a lawyer who is well versed in NFA laws/regulations drafting your RLT is worth the money.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Sev, have you considered that if you want any already possessed Title II firearms in your trust you'll have to transfer them again? From yourself to your trust.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    When it comes to firearm legalese and the state of Maryland, I think you'd have to be crazy to not have your trust overseen by a Maryland attorney that specializes in Maryland firearm law. If you ever find yourself in the dock over an issue relating to your trust-owned firearms, you can be sure the opposing lawyer'll be looking for a mistake in your trust he can use against you. Having saved a few bucks by doing it yourself you've upped the odds that that slimy lawyer'll find plenty of ammo to use against you in court. Just sayin'.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Now as an IP I'm biased but the problem with trusts (of any sort not just necessarily NFA trusts) is that when things go wrong it’s usually long after the time it’s drafted. If not properly drafted they are ticking time bombs, because you will eventually die. Then someone starts scrutinizing the document. Then all of a sudden your crappy trust is invalid and your beneficiaries who may not even understand the intent in the first place are left unprotected. There’s the story I mentioned in the post in my IP section where the ATF's top lawyer recently stated at the annual NRA meeting that they’ve seen evidence that a bunch of people are just copying a form trust from someone else. Leaving the same beneficiary in at a critical place in the document! He believes that one day this random person could inherit thousands of NFA firearms.

For a few minutes we were tempted to put a free trust template on our website. :)

HortusQ

Nov 1, 2013
    third rock from the Sun
    After my ridiculous experience buying a suppressor without a trust, I want to have one pulled up before I buy my next.

My issue is I'm trying to determine if the "DIY / Quicken" trust will suffice, or if going to a lawyer and having a trust drawn up is a better route.

I also saw an advertisement for a company in VA called Arsenal Attorneys that seem to be well regarded. Is their service worth the price?

I'm in over my head with the legal stuff. I understand the concept of you get what you pay for but I don't know how true that is in this instant

Thanks
    Hafers on the 23 rd may will have a Lawyer on site for trusts
    IP here

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Now as an IP I'm biased but the problem with trusts (of any sort not just necessarily NFA trusts) is that when things go wrong it’s usually long after the time it’s drafted. If not properly drafted they are ticking time bombs, because you will eventually die. Then someone starts scrutinizing the document. Then all of a sudden your crappy trust is invalid and your beneficiaries who may not even understand the intent in the first place are left unprotected. There’s the story I mentioned in the post in my IP section where the ATF's top lawyer recently stated at the annual NRA meeting that they’ve seen evidence that a bunch of people are just copying a form trust from someone else. Leaving the same beneficiary in at a critical place in the document! He believes that one day this random person could inherit thousands of NFA firearms.

For a few minutes we were tempted to put a free trust template on our website. :)

As I was reading this thread, that story came to mind. Imagine all the firearms that person in that trust is going to get when these people drop dead. Just incredible. I've been sitting on mine for 2 months now. I just can never seem to find the time to get around to it to complete the trustee section the way I want it. Might be because I am procrastinating on paying $400 for tax stamps that I want for two lowers I just bought.

How does that saying go. The kids without shoes on their feet are the shoemaker's kids.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yep. The contractor's wife is the one with the run down kitchen.

lol - that was my mom. Her kitchen did not get redone until my dad retired. The kitchen was from the 60's when the house was first built, and my parents had been talking about remodeling it since they bought the house in 1985. It finally got done in 2007, 5 years after my dad retired. Probably a good thing, because if they had done it in 1985, it would be outdated by now.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    can you give me more info on this?

I'd be interested to speak with a lawyer about it

and an IP makes it even better

Hafer's moved to a new location and is having a Grand opening Sale, with a Lawyer present to assist and do NFA Trusts I believe, check the IP Section, Tim Posted the Flyer...Tim is easy to Deal with and great service, might be a little drive for you from Silver Springs...I arrive the day of the event...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom