• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    i have a collection of gongs in my backyard and i'll be darned if i cant find a "good" way to keep them up.

I've tried rubber strands while using a swingset type gong holder. This works the best but takes up the most space and is non conducive for shooting it again "quickly" because it's swinging around. OR... it gets wacked so hard, it knocks the entire stand down hahah.

I've tried fence post (t-bar) with a cap holding the gong. I've tried a 2x4 and cap holding the gong. Both of these variations work but MAN does it suck when you hit that little 1" bolt and the entire thing falls down.. you're done for the day w/ that gong!

Does anyone else have a remedy for the t-bar or 2x4 variation?? do they make.. ar500 BOLTS??

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Hickok45 uses something called shepherd's hooks. Put them deep enough in the ground and/or give them some backing with a 2x4 and you're good to go.

545a52ea-f11c-4363-8fb9-3155382a11e7_400_compressed.jpg

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I utilize Grade 8 bolts. Carriage bolts (silver) are 2 piece where Grade 8 are bronze in color and one piece..

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Hickok45 uses something called shepherd's hooks. Put them deep enough in the ground and/or give them some backing with a 2x4 and you're good to go.

As simple as it is.. i didn't think about slappin a 2x4 behind the shepherd's hook! My concern w/ these was that they would still swing/flop around but.. NOT with a 2x4 supporting it to prevent twist!

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I utilize Grade 8 bolts. Carriage bolts (silver) are 2 piece where Grade 8 are bronze in color and one piece..

I'm not familuar w/ grade 8 bolts. I'll look it up but, are they harder than the regular carriage bolts? I've found if you hit a silver bolt (i assume it was carriage) it blows the head right off like a hot knife in butter.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I'm not familuar w/ grade 8 bolts. I'll look it up but, are they harder than the regular carriage bolts? I've found if you hit a silver bolt (i assume it was carriage) it blows the head right off like a hot knife in butter.

They are hard. My local hardware store and Tractor Supply has them.
    Both are located in the specialty bolt section. Pull out trays.

https://ctstargets.com/collections/parts/products/replacement-grade-8-bolt

I have hit the bolt head many times and the target remains.

Attachments

• P1010017.JPG
      P1010017.JPG
      94.3 KB · Views: 317

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I just bungee corded a 1x2 to cover exposed bolts on a 2x4 setup. Of course I managed to shoot the bungee cord in half after a while and then moved to cable ties.

2gujpjo.jpg
    [/IMG]

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I just bungee corded a 1x2 to cover exposed bolts on a 2x4 setup. Of course I managed to shoot the bungee cord in half after a while and then moved to cable ties.

i'm trying to avoid this type of setup as it allows the plates to swing and thus i cant do a 3 shot drill for example. i like the wide T though. I found when i DO use the 2x4, it gets cut from all the shrapnel. this design looks to address that too. well done.

ps: is this AGC??? looks like AGC range but i guess to some extent, most ranges look the same.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I use heavy rebar. I cut a couple inches off the end and weld it near the end of one side at a 45 degree angle and slide the plates onto that. They hold the plates steady since the rebar is behind the plate backing it when the plate is hit. I have a lot of tbar fence post laying around and I'm thinking of welding some rebar pieces onto the tbar since it will hold more steady in the ground than just rebar does.

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    i'm trying to avoid this type of setup as it allows the plates to swing and thus i cant do a 3 shot drill for example. i like the wide T though. I found when i DO use the 2x4, it gets cut from all the shrapnel. this design looks to address that too. well done.

ps: is this AGC??? looks like AGC range but i guess to some extent, most ranges look the same.

Thanks Moorvogi - yes, it's the right side of the pistol range where you can set up behind the railroad ties. One thing - the holes where you stick your 2x4's face so that the short end of the 2x4 is facing you as you shoot - I had to screw a one foot section of 2x4 sideways to the bottom of my main post in order for it to be facing the right way. I can send a pic of that later if it doesn't make sense.

Matt

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I use heavy rebar. I cut a couple inches off the end and weld it near the end of one side at a 45 degree angle and slide the plates onto that. They hold the plates steady since the rebar is behind the plate backing it when the plate is hit. I have a lot of tbar fence post laying around and I'm thinking of welding some rebar pieces onto the tbar since it will hold more steady in the ground than just rebar does.

Rebar is great, but a lot of ranges won't let you use it for shooting steel. AGC's rule is that the frame material must not be able to deflect a bullet.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014

so the rebar is welded to the plate too? i dont have a welder but a mounting system BEHIND the plate wouldn't be a bad idea. like.. weld on a "hook" of sorts. putting that on the t-bar in additon and.. BAM SON.. you got a winner winner chicken dinner!

the "hook" doesn't have to be ar500 steel.. just strong enough to hold onto the gong and have locking system (bolt + nut on thread) etc etc.

oOhhH now we're cooking. Check this out; no pic so work w/ me here on the idea/concept.

Back of plate has a bar welded to it. the bar then also has 2 washer type plates that are FIXED width (maybe 3/8 inch) gap in the middle. This gap allows a "U" type locking system. then somethign to keep it from flailing around or "jumping" off the hook. basiclly replacing the BOLT that goes THRU the gong and putting it 100% behidn the gong. replacing threaded bolt w/ a fixed washer.. kind deal.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg

We can't use rebar or any metal at the AGC range.
    Target holders must be wood.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I use rebar with hooks welded on, two tow straps with hooks, and the gold hardened bolt's and nuts. The straps can take a lot of damage before breaking. I've shot chains off on the first shot, it's annoying. The grade 8 bolts described earlier have taken several hits and are still fine. If I reinforce the tow straps they should hold up for longer. I'm thinking of folding them over stitching them and going through two layers to increase longevity. Bolting through one layer will rip through after about 100 rounds and need to be mended.

threegun

Jan 26, 2013
    Westminster
    Check out Shooting targets7 accessories page for an assortment of reasonable priced hanging options. I use their chains on most of my larger gongs. I use the rubber straps on the smaller gongs to lesson the swing. They have two bolt sets for $1.97, chain sets for 6.97, and rubber sets for $9.33 you would be hard pressed to buy locally any cheaper. They do offer quantity discounts and usually run pretty good holiday sales. I am a fan boy of these guys.

https://shootingtargets7.com/accessories.html?p=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom