• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pp55ftw

Jan 8, 2019
    Hey Everyone,

A pretty dumb question but looking for some guidance...so I'm thinking about building an M16A4 clone and have a line on some FN A4, 20inch uppers. I know the Gov-profile barrels are NOT HBAR so I can't put it on a standard lower/stock in MD.

My question is does MD have a maximum for an AR pistol barrel length? Like if I were to get a lower receiver and build it out to a pistol/brace could I put the >16inch barrel upper on it and not be subjected to HBAR requirement?

I think Federally there is no regulation but states can make their own rules. No idea about MD...

Thanks and appreciate all feedback.

Sh00bs

Jul 15, 2016
    15.9" (or anything under 16") without a stock (braces are OK) is a "pistol". lol yeah,

16" or more is a "rifle". it can have a stock or not, just barrel length. under 16" and a stock is SBR and you need a tax stamp

latest i heard was you ARE allowed to shoulder a brace however.

as far as max goes, nah as long as you want cowboy.

Laws are retarded... but is what it is

Last edited:

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Hey Everyone,

A pretty dumb question but looking for some guidance...so I'm thinking about building an M16A4 clone and have a line on some FN A4, 20inch uppers. I know the Gov-profile barrels are NOT HBAR so I can't put it on a standard lower/stock in MD.

My question is does MD have a maximum for an AR pistol barrel length? Like if I were to get a lower receiver and build it out to a pistol/brace could I put the >16inch barrel upper on it and not be subjected to HBAR requirement?

I think Federally there is no regulation but states can make their own rules. No idea about MD...

Thanks and appreciate all feedback.

The answer depends on which requirements you are talking about. The definitions change depending on the requirements.

In terms of regulated firearms the definition of a handgun is
    Handgun
    (n)(1) “Handgun” means a firearm with a barrel less than 16 inches in length.
    (2) “Handgun” includes signal, starter, and blank pistols.

The "HBAR requirement" is not really a requirement, but an exception to the regulated firearm definition.

Regulated firearm
    (r) “Regulated firearm” means:
    (1) a handgun; or
    (2) a firearm that is any of the following specific assault weapons or their copies, regardless of which company produced and manufactured that assault weapon:
    (xv) Colt AR-15, CAR-15, and all imitations except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle;

There is no definition of a rifle in the regulated firearm subtitle.

for weapons crimes the definition of a handgun is a little different.
    Handgun
    (c)(1) “Handgun” means a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person.
    (2) “Handgun” includes a short-barreled shotgun and a short-barreled rifle.
    (3) “Handgun” does not include a shotgun, rifle, or antique firearm.

Rifle
    (e) “Rifle” means a weapon that is:
    (1) designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder; and
    (2) designed or redesigned, and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.
    These weapon crime definitions are also referenced in other subtitles.

I do not find any definition where a rifle is an firearm with a barrel more that 16 inches.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There are several answers , including a whole 'nuther catagory in play .

Hint #1- It isn't a Binary choice between Pistol vs Rifle.

Hint #2 - Read all the fine print in both Federal & State Law defining various categories of ( things that go Bang )

Hint #3 - OAL is at least as important a factor as Bbl Length per se .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom