• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Ding!

Your first post is correct. FFL can receive 30 round (STD mag) but cant sell to you in MD. That FFL can ship out of state and you pick up, that's fine.

Used to do that but seems they do not want to anymore. Not can’t just don’t

pp55ftw

Jan 8, 2019
    Try reaching out to the vender/seller, I have found they are usually more than helpful in either leaving out "hi-cap" mags or shipping with compliant ones. Saves your FFL any potential headaches. Buy the right-sized mags when out of state.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Go to an adjoining state. Purchase your regulated firearm. Pay for it and take possession of the mags. Have the gun shop ship to your MD FFl less mags. Go to the FFL and do the paperwork, take possession of the magazine-less firearm. All perfectly legal. The big picture is Maryland has the authority to regulate purchase and sale of firearms within the state of Maryland. Once the mag enters the state it is subject to MD law. Hence the tendency for MD FFLs to shy away from shipping them out of state. If you pay for it in MD the transaction takes place on Maryland and is subject to MD law regardless of where you pick it up. I believe the law says may not be transferred, given, sold or manufactured inside Maryland. Possession is not prohibited. The gray area is when purchasing online. Does the transaction take place in Maryland, or the venders location? Perhaps you could be the test case :)

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    None of the dealers I know of in either Pa, Va or Delaware will do that. You cannot take possession of the gun or attachments until received by your FFL. Again, since it has to go thru an FFL in your state why not just buy the Md compliant version from an IP and purchase your mags when you go out of state. Again, seems like a lot of asking how to circumvent Md laws.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    There are several dealers in DE who will sell you the handgun, give you the mags and accessories, then ship the handgun to your MD FFL for transfer. Completely legal.

BTW, everything you do to obtain full capacity mags while living in the state of MD could be interpreted as technically "circumventing" MD gun laws, depending on who is doing the interpreting. Keep calm and carry on.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Your first post is correct. FFL can receive 30 round (STD mag) but cant sell to you in MD. That FFL can ship out of state and you pick up, that's fine.

Yes, the mag that come with the gun are standard capacity. . I wish folks would use the correct terms, not the political ones

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    There are several dealers in DE who will sell you the handgun, give you the mags and accessories, then ship the handgun to your MD FFL for transfer. Completely legal.

BTW, everything you do to obtain full capacity mags while living in the state of MD could be interpreted as technically "circumventing" MD gun laws, depending on who is doing the interpreting. Keep calm and carry on.

Uh, not really. Perfectly legal buying accessories such as hi-capacity mag for your firearms out of the state of Marylinistan. Marylinistan law say no purchasing, transferring or receiving mags higher than 10 round capacity within the state. Why be another “test case”. Why make it hard on yourself? And BTW, what dealers in Delaware are willing to do this? I go down to Dover and Bethany Beach pretty regular.

Feb 28, 2013

Stupid laws is meant to be circlevented. :cool:

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    I know there are some wholesalers who will not sell guns with hi-cap mags to MD FFL's, stupid but their choice. Also know of an MD FFL that sells guns with hi-cap parts kits. And also sells parts kits.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I have heard some folks say that they can be shipped and others say the MSP does not look kindly on shipping them. So your results may vary.

I’ve heard the same.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat.../10-16-2017 LD-FRU-17-010 Detachable Mags.pdf

I remember this being discussed here on MDS when the Maryland State Police issued the above advisory. Members here were pretty much divided on the legality of this. Some thought that Maryland had no authority to enforce their laws in other states. Others thought the law was the law and it didn't matter whether they sent you the magazines in-state or out-of-state.

I am not a lawyer and I'm not giving any advice. Just warning you to be cautious... and maybe not discuss your intentions in an online forum.

I remember that discussion; it contained a copy of the advisory. It looked like it was trying to intimidate FFLs. Typical MSP LD bullying head game.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    None of the dealers I know of in either Pa, Va or Delaware will do that. You cannot take possession of the gun or attachments until received by your FFL. Again, since it has to go thru an FFL in your state why not just buy the Md compliant version from an IP and purchase your mags when you go out of state. Again, seems like a lot of asking how to circumvent Md laws.

Some out of state retailers will ship mags separately to Free American addresses; sometimes for a separate shipping fee. YMMV.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Uh, not really. Perfectly legal buying accessories such as hi-capacity mag for your firearms out of the state of Marylinistan. Marylinistan law say no purchasing, transferring or receiving mags higher than 10 round capacity within the state.

I know that and didn't say otherwise. However, go ask one of the Ds in our MGA and I'm pretty sure they'll think otherwise. Like I said, depends on who you ask.

Why be another “test case”. Why make it hard on yourself? And BTW, what dealers in Delaware are willing to do this? I go down to Dover and Bethany Beach pretty regular.

Hard on myself? It ain't hard on me and I'm no test case. Test case for what? These shope are close to me and where I go for work so it's a no brainer. No tax and full cap mags. I KNOW the following shops will do this because they said so when I was shopping them last year. And I KNOW 2 of them will for sure, because they ACTUALLY DID for me.

Delaware Law Enforcement Supply in Dagsboro
    Lighthouse Guns and Gear in Selbyville
    Gunshooter Enterprise in Millsboro
    Firing Distance in Bridgeville
    Steele's in Lewes

DE LE Supply on a new H&K VP9 last year when they were shipping with 5 mags. I took the mags with me and they shipped the gun to my FFL in MD magless. And Steele's this past spring on a used Glock 17 with 2 mags. Same deal. Maybe it's just me.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom