• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ukimonster53

Apr 14, 2018
    Hello all,
    I am new to this forum! Let me cut to the chase - I live in VA and am moving to MD in August. I want to know:

-can I bring my AR 15 (S&W MP 15) with me? I know it is banned on the MD State Police website but are there laws allowing people who are moving from out of state to bring those in?

-can I bring my Springfield XDM 9mm pistol with mags that hold 19?

When/how should I register these weapons if so?

Thank you all for your help in advance and I look forward to being a contributing member of the forums.:party29:

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Your AR had to be bought pre 10/1/13 to be legal to bring, otherwise you'd need to stick a heavy barrel on it. The MSP website has the info for the registration process.

We usually tell people moving here to see if they can live in VA, WVA or PA instead!

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I know we all have reasons to be in one place or another , but if I could move it would not be to Maryland . One big chit-house with the way the political field is and runs .

Last edited:

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Best advice.....DON’T DO IT!!! Moving from a free state into a Gulag? Do you absolutely positively have to? When I PCS’d to Ft Myers in 90 I looked in Virginia but bought outside Frederick due to being my last PCS and wife working at Detrick. After I retired in 94 I actually worked in Leesburg for 20 years. I always regret not buying in Virginia. Am looking at the outskirts of Richmond but I’m afraid that’s turning into a mini DC or Baltimore. All I’m saying is it’s better to live in a free state like Virginia than Marylinistan. Good luck.

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    These guys are giving you great advice. If you don't absolutely have to, then find an alternative.

I'm getting out as soon as I possibly can.

Trew2Life

Aug 15, 2012
    Berkeley County, WV
    You're not 'moving to Maryland'. You're being incarcerated here. I left Maryland and moved to WV specifically because of the gun regulations. Maryland would sooner legalize gambling and marijuana before easing any restrictions on law abiding citizens right to keep and bear arms. Forget about any hopes of getting a CCW in MD, unless you can show "just cause". I love it here in WV, but I'm still concerned .... considering what has just happened in VT. You just can't trust politicians.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    I hate these threads because of all the unhelpful "don't move here" responses. Because your original post said you are moving to Maryland, then we welcome you and we need your vote. Those who actually responded to your questions about your firearms and mags are correct.

Smokescreen

Knight who say Ni
    Feb 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    See my answers below in Red. These are based on what I've either learned or experienced.

Hello all,
    I am new to this forum! Let me cut to the chase - I live in VA and am moving to MD in August. I want to know:

-can I bring my AR 15 (S&W MP 15) with me? I know it is banned on the MD State Police website but are there laws allowing people who are moving from out of state to bring those in? As was said, yes you can as long as you can prove that you purchased it before 10/1/2013 (an invoice, receipt, bill of sale all work).

-can I bring my Springfield XDM 9mm pistol with mags that hold 19? This shouldn't be an issue. To take possession of a handgun in Maryland, the model needs to be on the Maryland handgun roster and I'm sure the XDM is on the list. Just make sure you bring the mags with you. As other have said, possession and usage are not illegal but sale, trade and transfer of mags larger than 10 rounds is illegal in Maryland.

When/how should I register these weapons if so? My understanding is that you must register any regulated firearms within 90 days of taking residence in Maryland. See the MSP's website Here for the procedure. I believe the process is all online now. The good thing is once a handgun is registered, you do not need to do the training for the HQL because you have a previously registered firearm.

Thank you all for your help in advance and I look forward to being a contributing member of the forums.:party29:

Good luck with your move, sorry you have to come here. Just remember, when it comes to MD gun laws, nothing will make any sense.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I hate these threads because of all the unhelpful "don't move here" responses. Because your original post said you are moving to Maryland, then we welcome you and we need your vote. Those who actually responded to your questions about your firearms and mags are correct.

Sometimes those “don’t move here” replies make the OP reflect on if he really wants to. I’d rather tell it like it is than sugarcoat it. “Come on over, sky’s are blue, birds are singing, you can buy anything you want to buy”. Then you wake up. If you must move to Maryland just be aware you lose some freedoms. Welcome to the Gulag!

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013

The truth hurts but lies sting forever. MD is a sh$thole.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    A more direct answer to the MP15 question: If it has a standard profile barrel, you must have owned it before 1 Oct 2013. If not, you can't bring it in. It will either have to reamin in America, or you can put a heavy barrel (HBAR) on it, either swap barrels or just get a complete HBAR upper. After it becomes HBAR, you can bring it with you and no registration is required.

And, don't move to MD if there is any possible way to avoid it.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    A handgun does not need to be on the Roster for an immigrant to bring it here. The roster only applies to new sales within the state.

An Xdm wouldn't be a problem anyway.

If you did not own your AR 15 before 10/1/13, you can put an HBAR upper on it. You should be okay hanging on to the original upper, as long as you don't put it back on the lower within the state. I've never heard of any "constructive possession" laws.

IANAL.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• msi_welcome.jpg
      msi_welcome.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 303

ukimonster53

Apr 14, 2018
    Thank you all for your advice and support in these difficult times ;)
    I unfortunately HAVE to move to MD, as my situation simply demands it.

Again - thanks for the welcome (and the advice) and I look forward to being an active member of the forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom