• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack McCauley

Oct 16, 2014
    Dude, my dad is 84 years old. He does not have an email address nor will he ever get one. He does not know how to use a computer or a mouse. I should also add that my father doesn't know what a PIN is and how to get money from an ATM. And he does not have a smart phone, Facebook account, or instagram.

He doesn't have to know any of that. In the time you have taken to read this forum and create a response, you could have established a free gmail account for him. The thousands of people who were waiting on background checks to be completed for months on end in 2013 were begging for automation. Now, here it is. I will take this perceived inconvenience over the debacle of paper applications any day. I am confident that if your father is still buying firearms, this will be of very little inconvenience for him as compared to the overall benefits of automation, Dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The cooling off period is NOT an urban myth..

Go to the MGA library and research the Bill File from 1966 . All the testimony and contemporary news accounts were primarily about the cooling off, and the processing time was a minor footnote .

It was stupid then, and stupid now , but the legislative intent is very clear.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    Your mental health records are never released. And what mental health agency is storing your DNA and why? I am hoping you are kidding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capt. Dude, All I know is I sign some sort of release for mental health records. If your other medical records are authorized for release, then your DNA is available. Albeit difficult, but any slide from a pathologist that is kept of file has your DNA.

I believe the Larry Hillblom case (the "H" in DHL) was going to have his paternity determined by a pathology slide before the family settled.

I don't know how you define a psychiatric or neurological disorder, but you may find that there are lab methods to show this like serotonin levels in the brain. So, this may be a stretch, but if you had to prove a mental disorder, you may have to provide a slide or blood work to show support showing chemical issues. So, there may be a path to DNA

So, I'm only partially kidding.

The RELEASE:

I, state your name, authorize the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, or any other similar agency or department of another state, to disclose to the Department of State Police information limited to whether I suffer from a mental disorder as defined in §10-101(i)(2) of the Health–General Article and have a history of violent behavior against anyone; or whether I have been voluntarily admitted for more than 30 consecutive days or involuntarily committed to a facility or institution that provides treatment or services for individuals with mental disorders.

I acknowledge that this information will be used solely as part of the investigation required by Title 5, Subtitle 1 of the Public Safety Article, Annotated Code of Maryland, to determine my eligibility to possess a regulated firearm. In the event that my Application to purchase a regulated firearm is disapproved, I acknowledge that this authorization and any information obtained via this authorization may be used in any proceeding relating to the disapproval.

I further acknowledge that I may at any time, except to the extent that the Department of State Police has already taken action in reliance on it, revoke this authorization by submitting a request for revocation in writing. If not previously revoked, this authorization will terminate one year after the date I sign this Application or upon notification to me of the disapproval of this Application, whichever occurs first.

The code:

§10–101.

(a) In this title the following words have the meanings indicated.

(b) “Administration” means the Behavioral Health Administration.

(c) (1) “Admission” means the process by which an individual is accepted as a resident in:

(i) An inpatient facility; or

(ii) A Veterans’ Administration hospital in this State that provides care or treatment for individuals who have mental disorders.

(2) “Admission” includes the physical act of the individual entering the facility or Veterans’ Administration hospital.

(d) “Director” means the Director of the Behavioral Health Administration.

(e) (1) Except as otherwise provided in this title, “facility” means any public or private clinic, hospital, or other institution that provides or purports to provide treatment or other services for individuals who have mental disorders.

(2) “Facility” does not include a Veterans’ Administration hospital.

(f) (1) “Mental disorder” means a behavioral or emotional illness that results from a psychiatric or neurological disorder.

(2) “Mental disorder” includes a mental illness that so substantially impairs the mental or emotional functioning of an individual as to make care or treatment necessary or advisable for the welfare of the individual or for the safety of the person or property of another.

(3) “Mental disorder” does not include an intellectual disability.

(g) “State Advisory Council” means the State Advisory Council on Mental Hygiene.

(h) “State facility” means a facility that is owned or operated by the Department.

(i) “Treatment” means any professional care or attention that is given in a facility, private therapeutic group home for children and adolescents, or Veterans’ Administration hospital to improve or to prevent the worsening of a mental disorder.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I just filled out all them papers yesterday. Kind of glad I will not be a guinea pig.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    They make changes as they see fit. No reasons needed. All these years a SSN was required now all of a sudden not a requirement. Was it ever really "needed"? Who knows. They can add or delete needed info on a whim.

The SS# can make some NICS delays go away. MSP acts as POC for NICS checks on regulated firearms, so at one point the SS# was potentially helpful.
    MSP also grossly mishandled PII (personally identifiable information) including SS# while clearing the 2013 backlog. There's some serious federal requirements for handling SS# data, of they cannot comply with those, they can no longer ask for it.

Draw your own conclusions.

drking2

Ultimate Member
    Nov 29, 2008
    Carroll County
    I may have missed it, but how does this work if two citizens currently go to msp? Do we both sit down and put in the info? They trust us to put in the serial number?

GregSB

Feb 20, 2013
    I was able to start an application. We will see how it goes when I go to the dealer.
    It did not work on my android tablet, I had to use my pc.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    yep. i used a Windows 10 and Firefox. no issues. unlike the HQL application, there seems to be no browser restrictions

Don't click at the top. go to the link I underlined. I didn't see it at first.

Attachments

• portal.JPG
      portal.JPG
      53.6 KB · Views: 295

GregSB

Feb 20, 2013
    On my Samsung Galaxy S, the drop downs for gender and drivers license state did not work. There was no way to enter info in those fields.

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    That was pretty painless. I created my first application. From the numbering system it looks like I was number 15.

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    It was at the completion of the 77r process. The application number. I got the email with the PIN about 5 minutes after completing the 77r.
    Screen Shot 2017-01-01 at 7.56.45 AM.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom