• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • n00b

Jul 21, 2010
    Does anyone know the legality of an air pistol in MD? I can walk into Walmart and buy an air pistol off the shelf, so I would assume it is legal to possess and shoot in my back yard?

I have one close neighbor (Maybe 75 feet from where I would shoot) who I don't think will mind at all. The sound of the guns I am looking at are similar to a nail gun, but I doubt they are even that loud really.

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    Does anyone know the legality of an air pistol in MD? I can walk into Walmart and buy an air pistol off the shelf, so I would assume it is legal to possess and shoot in my back yard?

I have one close neighbor (Maybe 75 feet from where I would shoot) who I don't think will mind at all. The sound of the guns I am looking at are similar to a nail gun, but I doubt they are even that loud really.

I wouldn't just assume - make sure you know your local laws. For example, in Montgomery County, that might actually get your arrested as I understand their (ridiculous) law. Technically even discharging a nerf gun and maybe even a water gun is illegal according to their law. If you're anywhere remotely rural you're almost certainly fine, but never make assumptions.

n00b

Jul 21, 2010
    I would consider my place "rural". The "A" is right over my back yard and I circled the nearest neighbors. I could most likely get away with shooting the real thing without a problem. It's not uncommon to hear gun shots at my house during hunting season.

yard.jpg

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Get the Drodz blackbird
    the best selective fire BB gun in the planet.

I think " Brian " at Keepshooting.com has a good deal on these.

Attachments

• image7321.jpg
      image7321.jpg
      7.7 KB · Views: 170

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    You will shot your eye out. I am not a big fan of BB guns, personal bias.

I grew up shooting a Daisy Avanti 747 which was an awesome pellet pistol because it is not trying to be a firearm. It is an entry level match air pistol. That said it depends what you want. I enjoy accurate shooting more than blasting. It is quieter than clapping your hands and accurate enough to cut string at 10 yards off hand.

31yrkbexlnl.jpg

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    I own a Beretta Model 97 in .177 cal and it is great fun.
    Bought it from Airgun Depot.
    http://www.airgundepot.com/co2-air-pistols.html

I also have a Gamo target/backstop that has 4 targets that when hit, hang in the up position until the center target is hit which releases all the targets.
    Pellets stay in the backstop so it's all good.

It's a lot of fun to shoot off the deck in my back yard!

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    Unfortunately, almost anything with a real steel trademark name is not going to be high quality. Walther is one exception, and the CP-88 is a wonderful pellet gun. But the S&W, Beretta, and the like are more for mass appeal than quality.

There were some really nice S&W's made some years back. Designed and made by Smith (briefly) and look like a Model 41. We have one in .22 that needs to be resealed.

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    Unfortunately, almost anything with a real steel trademark name is not going to be high quality. Walther is one exception, and the CP-88 is a wonderful pellet gun. But the S&W, Beretta, and the like are more for mass appeal than quality.

If you don't own one of them, your opinion is only speculation.
    If you did own one of them, your opinion might change.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    add some beer cans and maybe a swinging steel target and you've got some of the best tools available for safely teaching new shooters before bringing them to the range. My m&p CO2 bb gun also was wonderful for working on accurate rapid-fire practice. The trigger feels like a sigma's(12 lbs and long) so it forces you to have good trigger technique. In addition to just base repition, air guns and air-soft guns enable you to work on things that you can't at the shooting range. shooting on the move... transitioning between prone, kneeling, standing...shooting around barricades...drawing from a holster. Nothin wrong with some bbgun fun

0729082027.jpg

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I have that identical M&P CO2 pistol. It is a very good match for my real M&P, which is why I got it. Fits my holsters, and I can practice some drills at home. I've taken it out in the woods and done some fire-and-movement drills on old saw blades hung from strings- stuff I can't do at Marriottsville.

Not bad for about $35.

Unfortunately I don't dare shoot in in my backyard.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    The Daisy 747 is a good starter gun, and quite cheap. You can set up a range in your basement...or living room, if you are a good shot. Match-grade air guns are quite quiet.

If you can find one, the Izh-46 has an excellent reputation...or you can step up to the Olympic-grade air pistols like the Steyr LP-10. They aren't cheap, but they are VERY good shooters. As in able to shoot inside a shirt button at 10 meters.

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    I have that identical M&P CO2 pistol. It is a very good match for my real M&P, which is why I got it. Fits my holsters, and I can practice some drills at home. I've taken it out in the woods and done some fire-and-movement drills on old saw blades hung from strings- stuff I can't do at Marriottsville.

Not bad for about $35.

Unfortunately I don't dare shoot in in my backyard.

Sorry about the backyard thing......respecting your neighbors is cival +++

I got one last week and it is a good trainer. I get about 120 bb's per co2.

I hang plastic bottles all around and practice speed, sight, trigger, movement, weak hand...etc. Shot about 2,000 rounds so far.

Attachments

• DSCN5768.jpg
      DSCN5768.jpg
      44.1 KB · Views: 138

pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    If you don't own one of them, your opinion is only speculation.
    If you did own one of them, your opinion might change.

I personally own over 35 air and airsoft pistols alone. I sell training weapons and tactical gear to law enforcement and National Guard units across the country. I am a reseller for many brands, including Palco Sports, which is the Umarex distributor in the USA, and the licensee for most of the "real steel" branded air and airsoft guns. I put them through their paces, so that I can confidently recommend them to departments or others who would use them for training. So my opinion is based on fact and hands-on experience, not conjecture.

My favorite "plinking" air pistol, and so far the most durable is my Walther CP88, which is a dream to shoot.

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    My favorite "plinking" air pistol, and so far the most durable is my Walther CP88, which is a dream to shoot.

My neighbor owns that same Walther and likes it a lot.
    I have a Beretta 92 which I also like.

We have a great time shooting at a Gamo reset target off my deck.
    Hours of fun for cheap.

n00b

Jul 21, 2010
    I got the Walther CP99 compact today and the Beretta II both made my Umarex. The Walther is all metal and I love the feel, however it does not seem to be very accurate. The Beretta is all plastic, but it shoot a little better.

I might have to save my cash and get something with a rifled barrel for actual target shooting, because these two less expensive models are not impressing me thus far.

pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    I got the Walther CP99 compact today and the Beretta II both made my Umarex. The Walther is all metal and I love the feel, however it does not seem to be very accurate. The Beretta is all plastic, but it shoot a little better.

I might have to save my cash and get something with a rifled barrel for actual target shooting, because these two less expensive models are not impressing me thus far.

The CP99 has a 6" barrel with compensator set that you can get for it.

Here is the nickel version, for example:

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Walther_CP88_barrel_4_to_6_Nickel/341

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom