• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    My wife and I are looking at homes in Carroll County. Also looking in Howard County too. Thing is, we are well aware of the redistricting climate here in Howard County and have a nice little niche picked out that would most likely be redistricting proof. Our concern with Carroll County is that we have no idea what the school redistricting climate is like. We would hate to move the kids from this area, into a new county with new to them schools, and then they get redistricted a year later, thereby having to make new friends twice over.

The areas we are looking at have the following high schools:

Westminster High
    Century High
    Liberty High

Anybody know if there is any talk in Carroll County about redistricting?

Thanks

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I believe that it is in the works. I'm already out of districting my kids. You can always do that. But your responsible for transportation. You have HS kids? I'd check with CCPS.

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    I'm pretty sure is still just in studies. Dr. Singer presented last in December 2017. A lot of surveys, and studies. Should be able to find it on line.

Don''t forget South Carroll HS in Winfield. Our youngest daughter graduated from there Class of 2016, so we're not really paying attention to CCPS anymore.

I'd stay West, Century or South Carroll, no Westminster. South Carroll is the primary reason we bought Taylorsville.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I don't have anything concrete to offer, but I would pay attention to what's happening out at Manchester Valley as the bellwether.

Things may have changed, but apparently the demographers got some stuff really wrong on the need study for that school and it was at something like 50-60% capacity with no projections for growth.

At some point I would think that the need to better utilize that building would have an impact upon the way the lines are drawn for all of the schools.

Again, something may have changed.

pen

Sep 15, 2015
    Carroll county
    My wife and I are looking at homes in Carroll County. Also looking in Howard County too. Thing is, we are well aware of the redistricting climate here in Howard County and have a nice little niche picked out that would most likely be redistricting proof. Our concern with Carroll County is that we have no idea what the school redistricting climate is like. We would hate to move the kids from this area, into a new county with new to them schools, and then they get redistricted a year later, thereby having to make new friends twice over.

Westminster High
    Century High
    Liberty High

Thanks

As far as redistricting, right now they are closing schools down, and having to reassign students to other schools. Some have a 30-45 minute bus ride. I have heard longer but can not confirm it.

Due to the rural and geographic location of some of the outlying schools I can't see them redistricting. There are only so many schools that serve those parts of the county. Unless they get an influx of new students I don't see it happening in the near future. If that does happen they will reopen the closed schools before they build new ones to trigger redistricting.

The county is planning on new zoning that will affect some of us that are zoned multipurpose/agricultural.

CronusTRD

Creeper
    Mar 1, 2007
    There was some mention of possibly closing liberty if enrollments continued to drop. Pretty sure my kids would just go to Century since that is a newer school. Liberty was built in early 80s, and Century was early 2000s. Given the influx of new housing construction, I don't think enrollments will drop that much to warrant closure

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    There was some mention of possibly closing liberty if enrollments continued to drop. Pretty sure my kids would just go to Century since that is a newer school. Liberty was built in early 80s, and Century was early 2000s. Given the influx of new housing construction, I don't think enrollments will drop that much to warrant closure

Agreed on this. There is a 300+ housing unit going in next to the VFW. That will keep Carrolltowne, ORMS, and Liberty busy for a while.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD

Westminster High
    Century High
    Liberty High

Thanks

What are you looking for? There is a nice house available at the top of our driveway that just went on the market. We are Carrolltowne, ORMS, and Liberty. All of 9 minutes from AGC. And the best part, you and I could argue in person, instead of online! ;)

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    I was looking in the Century / Liberty HS area for over a year, couldn't find a house. We ended up in Gamber, Westminster HS. I'm not thrilled with Westminster HS, but we also don't have kids yet. ES and MS are great, and I imagine they'll have built a new HS by the time my kids get there. It's a good HS, wife and I just can't wrap our minds around a school that big. We both went to smaller HSs. Also, Westminster is apparently the biggest and oldest HS in the district.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    If I remember correctly Westminster High was built for 1200 students and currently has 2300.
    Been that way a very long time. 1986 my class graduated 575 and we weren’t crowded, well overly crowded anyway. Pretty sure that’s been the norm ever since. Though I’m not sure if that changed when Winters Mill was built, assume it would’ve had to at least some.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    What are you looking for? There is a nice house available at the top of our driveway that just went on the market. We are Carrolltowne, ORMS, and Liberty. All of 9 minutes from AGC. And the best part, you and I could argue in person, instead of online! ;)

lol - AGC does not factor into the equation whatsoever. Think we are looking in the Taylorsville/Winfield area right now. Also debating buying a lot and building our own house out there. Was just coming here to ask about the pluses and minuses of living around the route 26/27 intersection. Saw a sign on 27 south of 26 advertising two lots for sale by owner. Tossing around the idea of building there, but trying to figure out what it would be like living out there (e.g., grocery shopping, post office, landfill/transfer station).

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    lol - AGC does not factor into the equation whatsoever. Think we are looking in the Taylorsville/Winfield area right now. Also debating buying a lot and building our own house out there. Was just coming here to ask about the pluses and minuses of living around the route 26/27 intersection. Saw a sign on 27 south of 26 advertising two lots for sale by owner. Tossing around the idea of building there, but trying to figure out what it would be like living out there (e.g., grocery shopping, post office, landfill/transfer station).

Nothing wrong with living in that area. I'm a few miles south of it. Would be about equidistant to shop in Mount Airy, Eldersburg, or Westminster. Be mindful of zoning (lack thereof) near the lot(s) you're interested in.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    CCPS will hold a "work session" on redistricting on the 28th. Public can attend, but no comments/input allowed.

The Board of Education of Carroll County will hold a work session on parameters for redistricting and school closure on Wednesday, February 28, 2018, at 5:00 p.m. at the Board offices, located at 125 North Court Street in Westminster. There will be no time for citizen participation at this meeting. The public is encouraged to attend.

The work session will be broadcast live on Channel 21 and streamed live on the Carroll County Public Schools website at www.carrollk12.org. Click on CETV under News and Media at the bottom of the home page or go directly to:

https://www.carrollk12.org/admin/commedia/cetv/Pages/CCPS-CETV-Webstreaming.aspx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom