• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Would like to arrange a Machine Gun free shoot. Does anyone know of a range that may be willing to host it in the state of Maryland?

This would be a suppressed and unsuppressed shoot. Full or semi auto but, mainly full auto.

Would be open to all. Class III dealers welcome as well.

Dave

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Would like to arrange a Machine Gun free shoot. Does anyone know of a range that may be willing to host it in the state of Maryland?

This would be a suppressed and unsuppressed shoot. Full or semi auto but, mainly full auto.

Would be open to all. Class III dealers welcome as well.

Dave

Call Duffys and/or Engage. They have both held MG events open to the public.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    MG Free Shoot means it is open to anyone who cares to join in rather than having to belong to a specific club. As for shooting someone elses MG, it would be up to the individual owners, but usually they will allow it as long as you bring factory loaded ammo.

I have pinged Duffy and may ping Engage. Usually if you go through a gun shop though they are the only store they want at the range, which is understandable but, I am looking to setup a venue where any Class 3 dealer can show up with items to demo.

MG nest is an idea but, it is small and would be hard to fit a lot of people into much less parking.

Was hoping I could find a range, in MD, that can handle a decent crowd plus vendors/class 3 dealers. At this rate I might as well buy property somewhere and open my own range.

Dave

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    Was hoping I could find a range, in MD, that can handle a decent crowd plus vendors/class 3 dealers. At this rate I might as well buy property somewhere and open my own range.

My thoughts exactly. I've had no luck finding a decent place to host a public shoot that's reasonably convenient for us. The further away the property is, the event starts looking like a two day ordeal, which presents a host of other obstacles to contend with- hotels, added labor costs, safe storage of mgs overnight- and it just becomes more of a pain in the ass than I'm willing to deal with. Once it stops being fun, it becomes work.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    My thoughts exactly. I've had no luck finding a decent place to host a public shoot that's reasonably convenient for us. The further away the property is, the event starts looking like a two day ordeal, which presents a host of other obstacles to contend with- hotels, added labor costs, safe storage of mgs overnight- and it just becomes more of a pain in the ass than I'm willing to deal with. Once it stops being fun, it becomes work.

I gather the United Coon Hunters Club is not available again?

Delmarv isn't TOO bad of a drive. Could do it in a day but, a lot more driving than I figure most would want to do.

I rather keep it in state so we don't have to fill out 5320.20's

Like I said, I wish I had my own property. We would have different events every month if folks wanted it.

Dave

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    There's definitely a demand, and private property is your best bet as long as you get everyone that's attending to sign waivers to protect the owner. I can't think of any local ranges that would risk lawsuits over something like this. The AGC took a while to come around, and it still has a lot of restrictions around the one club that can host MG shoots.

Then there's the logistics of running the whole thing. You should expect more demand from attendees wanting to shoot than those who own. So if it becomes a reality, it'll be balancing those that have and are willing to share/or rent with everyone else. Personally, I only have a measly MAC11/9 so my main motivation to attend would be to shoot other toys that I will likely never be able to afford. A good reason to restrict it to lanes with only MGs; keep the number of lanes to a manageable amount. Everyone else is just waiting to shoot stuff with giggle switches.

So it'll be: keep it small among MG owners--or figure out how to get enough dealers with samples to attend and rent that you can open it up to a broader audience. IF you can find the property, maybe aim low and have fun and see if you can turn it into an annual event that grows.

A few guys on a farm sounds like a blast to me.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I wish I had some property and liability coverage to support such an event for the community.

The Duffy's shoot was was something I will never forget. My brother loved it too. Seeing the donor vehicle get completely shredded. Sending lead down range using classics like the MG 42, '28 Thompson, and PPSH-41. The gravy was seeing a thundering Ma Deuce smoke the donor vehicle. You can't have a much better day at the range. I missed the following year Duffy's shoot which had someone bring their M134 minigun. I saw the video. :drool:

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Coming from the perspective of a volunteer for a few of the Duffy's shoots, Vince is spot on. It's a lot of work. But worth it if done right.
    Keep looking Vince, you know you got my help.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I wish I had some property and liability coverage to support such an event for the community.

The Duffy's shoot was was something I will never forget. My brother loved it too. Seeing the donor vehicle get completely shredded. Sending lead down range using classics like the MG 42, '28 Thompson, and PPSH-41. The gravy was seeing a thundering Ma Deuce smoke the donor vehicle. You can't have a much better day at the range. I missed the following year Duffy's shoot which had someone bring their M134 minigun. I saw the video. :drool:

I was at that shoot as well, what a great day. I think I shot 7 different machine guns that day along with 2 .50 rounds out of a Barrett. I also missed the next year and the minigun. That minigun video was awesome.

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    Coming from the perspective of a volunteer for a few of the Duffy's shoots, Vince is spot on. It's a lot of work. But worth it if done right.
    Keep looking Vince, you know you got my help.

Much appreciated, sir! I'll keep looking. I have had offers to make private property available, but there's an issue with every place so far.

It's unfortunate that the higher ups at the Coon Club made it pretty clear that we were not welcome back, especially after I put on the Uzi raffle to benefit them. Apparently a $10k thank you wasn't enough for some of the old fudds. The club seemed pretty solidly divided between those that thought the shoot was awesome and those that do not want their club associated with mg shoots, just hunters and shotgun shoots.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Much appreciated, sir! I'll keep looking. I have had offers to make private property available, but there's an issue with every place so far.

It's unfortunate that the higher ups at the Coon Club made it pretty clear that we were not welcome back, especially after I put on the Uzi raffle to benefit them. Apparently a $10k thank you wasn't enough for some of the old fudds. The club seemed pretty solidly divided between those that thought the shoot was awesome and those that do not want their club associated with mg shoots, just hunters and shotgun shoots.

Ran into the same issue with the Range/Club I held that Silencer Shoot a few years back at. Some of the board members did not like it even though I made the club $900+ dollars in proceeds. Cannot remember the club name.

I have tried to see if things have changed there but I am told they have only gotten worse. Have heard from a couple of members they are leaving the club because of all the internal squabbling even though they live only a couple of miles from the range itself.

I am looking at land and so far all I have found I can afford that might suite my needs are out past Hagerstown.

Will let TheDevilHimself and everyone else know if I come across anything useable.

Dave

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I was at that shoot as well, what a great day. I think I shot 7 different machine guns that day along with 2 .50 rounds out of a Barrett. I also missed the next year and the minigun. That minigun video was awesome.

A teaser for the next one if it ever happens. This was from the last one.

Attachments

• IMG_2969.jpg
      IMG_2969.jpg
      169.1 KB · Views: 353

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads