• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the Javid

Part time baby killer
    Mar 20, 2012
    Bowie
    I am setting up 3 rifles for the different SHTF scenarios.
    AR- 15 for government collapse
    AR chambered in 5.45 that accepts ak mags for russian/korean invasion
    AR-15 sbr suppressed chambered in .300BLK with sub sonic ammo for zombie apocalypse

MikeSP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2011
    Severna Park, MD
    but I think an AR in the .223/5.56 would be easier to find ammo.
    I am seriously considering going to an AR platform just for ammo accesibility for a SHTF scenario.
    When you talk about finding ammo are you talking about going shopping in a local store and "finding" it for sale or are you talking about "finding" ammo laying around or in abandoned houses, on dead people, etc?
    I guess I was imagining having to supply my own ammo needs and the only available ammo will be that which I stockpile myself. I suppose if in the months/years following a SHTF when the recovery is started, imported 7.62x39 might not exist, but some domestic production of 5.56 might have a better chance of seeing the market?

oldman12

Ultimate Member
    Sep 19, 2010
    "Merrica" Eastern Camp
    When you talk about finding ammo are you talking about going shopping in a local store and "finding" it for sale or are you talking about "finding" ammo laying around or in abandoned houses, on dead people, etc?
    I guess I was imagining having to supply my own ammo needs and the only available ammo will be that which I stockpile myself. I suppose if in the months/years following a SHTF when the recovery is started, imported 7.62x39 might not exist, but some domestic production of 5.56 might have a better chance of seeing the market?

In a SHTF scenario, Ammo shelves will be dry.I was talking what could be scavenged. Common hunting rounds or .223 would be easier to find.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    In a SHTF scenario, Ammo shelves will be dry.I was talking what could be scavenged. Common hunting rounds or .223 would be easier to find.

If you are basing your survival on finding ammo after SHTF, you will not survive. Stock it now, you won't find anything later. The only thing littering the streets will be spent brass.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    If you are basing your survival on finding ammo after SHTF, you will not survive. Stock it now, you won't find anything later. The only thing littering the streets will be spent brass.

Ok, I will be the guy who does it!

When people say "find" ammo after the poop go's round the fan, Most people know at some point it could mean looting the bodies of dead us soldiers or leo.
    in that case having a rifle in 5.56 and a pistol in 9mm or .40 short and weak is a great idea. But keep in mind if the shtf senerio you are planning for is the fall of society with massive fire fights included Then Jim is correct living off the dead is a no win idea! make room in the basement for more ammo,powder,brass and primers. Even if you don't shoot it it will be better then gold to trade with.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Ok, I will be the guy who does it!

When people say "find" ammo after the poop go's round the fan, Most people know at some point it could mean looting the bodies of dead us soldiers or leo.
    in that case having a rifle in 5.56 and a pistol in 9mm or .40 short and weak is a great idea. But keep in mind if the shtf senerio you are planning for is the fall of society with massive fire fights included Then Jim is correct living off the dead is a no win idea! make room in the basement for more ammo,powder,brass and primers. Even if you don't shoot it it will be better then gold to trade with.

The people who shot said person will be the one looting the body for ammo. I've come to the conclusion that people in general suck, and if you depend on someone else, especially a stranger to you, to render any kind of aid, you will be quickly disappointed.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    The people who shot said person will be the one looting the body for ammo. I've come to the conclusion that people in general suck, and if you depend on someone else, especially a stranger to you, to render any kind of aid, you will be quickly disappointed.
    Blanche DuBois to the contrary, these are wise principles to adhere to.

People are indeed bastard coated bastards with bastard filling, and when the SHTF, you can multiply the bastard rating by 100 or more.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Wtf senario is going to include looting dead soldiers? If we get invaded why would you even be worried about what gun you own now? Find your nearest base and let them arm you...and hell, you wont be picking up ammo from their bodies, they will be giving it to you...

Only thing i can think of is if you expect to be killing our troops...the biggwst point, but not only, point with that is........do you honestly believe that tge us armed forces would go to war against its own country? Considering how soldiers are being shafted by uncle sam left and right anyway?

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex

This sir, is the truth!

Thats why in a true shtfs, my family and friends have plans to come
    gether and work as a team there will be safety in numbers. Lone wolves are easy targets.

you can be armed like Rambo but ou have to sleep sometime you have to eat and take care of basic survival. This can all be alot easier with people working together to stay alive.

load up the basement and don't try to live off hope.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Wtf senario is going to include looting dead soldiers? If we get invaded why would you even be worried about what gun you own now? Find your nearest base and let them arm you...and hell, you wont be picking up ammo from their bodies, they will be giving it to you...

Only thing i can think of is if you expect to be killing our troops...the biggwst point, but not only, point with that is........do you honestly believe that tge us armed forces would go to war against its own country? Considering how soldiers are being shafted by uncle sam left and right anyway?

ok, this thread is about a shtf situation. Pick your situation

1. zombies....we all saw walking dead, dead soldiers laying all over the place, loot as you can

2. alien invasion. again dead soldiers and trashed equipment scrounge all you can

3. red dawn, ok they were using soviet equipment but still looted

4. katrina, Well we all hope the national guard will not do anything stupid you know like try and disarm lawful gun owners or they them selves take advantage of the sisuation and do some freestyle looting of their own, then becoming targets and a gun store on two feet.

5. economic meltdown, well if soldiers/guards man are used to restor order or repress the hoards of out of work citizens and do the bidding of the Lords in d.c well again a fair source of gear and weapons.

6. the second term of obummer, or the start of the revelotion
    Not every british solder during the American revolution was a evil agent of the king beating in the skulls of american babies but they were in a war zone and fair game for shooting and looting. Same if you choose to revolt now an enemy soldier is a target and a source of gear.

7. I am not in any way supporting killing us soldiers!!!!!! come on now we are talking about zombies and freaking alien invasion sh*t here

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    do you honestly believe that tge us armed forces would go to war against its own country?

Your question is rhetorical, because this scenario has already happened and it was a bloodbath. See U.S. Civil War, 1861-1865. Before anyone chimes in and says that the Confederacy was a foreign country, that is not true from the Union point of view. The Confederate States were considered to be "in rebellion against the United States". The US government did not acknowledge them as an independant country.

I don't have the exact number, but half or more of the 1860-61 US Army officer corps sided with the Confederacy. I don't have any numbers for enlisted or non-coms.

My point is that while some left, others stayed. Not everyone currently wearing the uniform is a die hard constitutionalist, pro-2A, or libertarian.

This is not a knock on the men and women wearing the uniform, just, IMO, the breakdown of the demographic.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Your question is rhetorical, because this scenario has already happened and it was a bloodbath. See U.S. Civil War, 1861-1865. Before anyone chimes in and says that the Confederacy was a foreign country, that is not true from the Union point of view. The Confederate States were considered to be "in rebellion against the United States". The US government did not acknowledge them as an independant country.

I don't have the exact number, but half or more of the 1860-61 US Army officer corps sided with the Confederacy. I don't have any numbers for enlisted or non-coms.

My point is that while some left, others stayed. Not everyone currently wearing the uniform is a die hard constitutionalist, pro-2A, or libertarian.

This is not a knock on the men and women wearing the uniform, just, IMO, the breakdown of the demographic.

great post!

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Pretty much this for bug in/vehicle based/short-mid range foot:

9x20 mags of 7.62x51
    14x20 mags of 9mm JHP +P
    Sig 226 Navy
    Springfield SOCOM2 in a Juggernaut Tactical bullpup stock

Anything long range/long term and it would be a .22 rifle and a .45 pistol

Attachments

• P5180094.JPG
      P5180094.JPG
      78.9 KB · Views: 212

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Pretty much this for bug in/vehicle based/short-mid range foot:

9x20 mags of 7.62x51
    14x20 mags of 9mm JHP +P
    Sig 226 Navy
    Springfield SOCOM2 in a Juggernaut Tactical bullpup stock

Anything long range/long term and it would be a .22 rifle and a .45 pistol

Well played.

Gino z32

that car guy
    May 17, 2011
    Bennsville, MD
    haven't read through this thread, but IMO the best SHTF rifle is the same rifle that everyone else will be using! You will never run out of parts/ammo when you just walk around taking them off the dead bodies!

I would say the best SHTF rifle is one that is compact yet accurate, packs a punch, and is reliable/easy to maintain. As well as chambered in a widely used caliber so ammo should be easily available to stock up beforehand, and hopefully somewhat easy to find after SHTF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom