• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    AR's aren't my thing. They never have been and they never will be. They are fun enough at the range but they will never be my first pick. BUT.....I have to admit, there is something special to me about a Colt rifle. Maybe it's because they are American made or maybe it's the Colt mystique....I don't know. What I do know is that, every time I pick one up, I get the exact same feeling I get when I pick up an M1, M1 Carbine, Johnson 1941 or when I get in my 46 Jeep to go for a spin. I guess it's a sense of American History and Nostalgia. To me, these things represent everything right about American and being an American. They give me a sense of Pride.
    Anywho, I was doing a little reorganizing and had some of my Colts out for a look see so I thought I'd take some pictures. The following is nothing scholarly or comprehensive but rather just a look at some differences and similarities between a small selection of Colt AR 15 rifles and carbines that I own. Let's get started.

Here are a few laid out with an FN thrown in for good measure:
    P1170648_zps5k92qfwk.jpg

I like collecting these things for several reasons. Number 1 I've already explained above. Second, they are relatively cheap at the moment; so cheap that I can afford to buy them as I see them if I like what I'm looking at. My criteria is simple. I want it original and generally unmessed with. There is some slight deviance in this point but whatever has been done has to make sense to me. If it has ANY aftermarket parts on it, I don't want it unless I can easily put it back into factory trim. Third, it's fun. Isn't that what all this is supposed to be about anyways? I think it is.

Let's get a closer look. We'll start with the carbines:
    P1170651_zpsdmitqady.jpg

All three of these are police trade in jobbers. I've become smitten with these for some reason. Monetarily speaking, I think these are sleepers and will really increase in value over time. I also like the general wear they show; it's like History frozen in time. Somebody carried this around in their patrol unit and trusted their life to it. That means something to a sentimental fool like me. I buy every police trade in I can find if I have the cash available at the time. My only criteria for these is that they have the "Restricted" roll mark on the magazine well and that they be in the same configuration as when they were traded in.

We'll start with the newest one, shown at the bottom in the picture above:
    P1170654_zpsziqodw9x.jpg

P1170657_zpsrwkbr8rt.jpg

This particular carbine was has a barrel date of April 2009 and it's the only one shown with the magazine it came with. That's because it's also the only one I have that has a magazine that has been marked by the department it was issued to. In this case, Troop B, Pennsylvania State Police, Pittsburgh Station:
    P1170660_zpsmcsahyuy.jpg

Here's the left side of the receiver:
    P1170663_zpsvysfgu3f.jpg

I love the fact that it's marked "COLT DEFENSE". Note that the magazine is dated May of 2009. Of course I know that this is most likely NOT the magazine that came with it from Colt but it IS a magazine that was used by the Pittsburgh PD so I will keep them together. While I have not shot some of the rifles I'll cover in this thread, I have had this one to the range and it was both accurate and fun! But then, aren't they all FUN?? Notice that the front take down pin is actually a pin. That is 100% normal for you younger guys but us older guy remember when thus front pin was not a pin at all but rather a screw. We'll see that in a bit. Also notice the various scratches. Yeah....that gets me going. I LOvE wear. Pristine is for pretty boys!

The upper is marked "M4":
    P1170664_zpszke0ju21.jpg

Barrel marking:
    P1170665_zpsbof3tax6.jpg

As we look at these six rifles/carbines, notice that, while the format is the same on each one, the font and size changes. Things like this are why I just keep buying more. The variations absolutely fascinate me!

It has the standard M4 seven hole handguard with double heat shields:
    P1170666_zps9sqz1g4n.jpg

Personally, I prefer the six hole that we'll see on the next carbine but then I'm not in combat either. Of course, neither was the officer this was issued to. But ultimately, it doesn't matter. This is how Colt built it so I love it for what it is!

The flash hider uses a crush washer as was standard when this carbine was made:
    P1170667_zpskdsaqah8.jpg

Last edited:

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    This next one has a barrel date of December 1998:
    P1170668_zpsa4dg2yhk.jpg

P1170671_zpst97qazgh.jpg

I do not know what department this one was issued to but it came from a local dealer who had bought a number of ex police carbines and this was on of them. The stock is most definitely NOT the one it left the factory with but it is the one that it came from the PD with so it will stay that way. Judging by the contours, it's still a stock supplied by Colt. Originally it would have had one of the "1N" marked "Fiberlite" stocks. We'll see that on the next one.

The left side of the receiver:
    P1170674_zpsvbcnlj69.jpg

Notice that this one has a screw instead of a captive take down pin at the front of the lower receiver. That's how they were made back then. Also notice the different manufacturer's mark and the slightly different safety lever design. It still has some nice scratches in the finish!

Here is a close-up of the rear of the receiver showing the reinforcement done where the buffer tube threads in:
    P1170675_zps8m1sjeru.jpg

Compare this with the reinforcement done in that area on the previous carbine:
    P1170661_zpse0cc917u.jpg

Very interesting...…

A detail shot showing the staking of the buffer tube:
    P1170676_zpssrxzwklf.jpg

I've never seen a Colt staked like this. We'll see a standard Colt stake mark on the next carbine. I can only assume that the PD this was issued to not only replaced the stock but also the buffer tube. That's just a guess though.

Barrel marking:
    P1170678_zpslfenzyjn.jpg

This one has a peel washer instead of a crush washer. This is consistent with a Colt from 1998:
    P1170679_zpsuerhvm3i.jpg

While the flash hider flat shows some wear, I think this is due more to handling than removal.

Again, the upper is marked "M4":
    P1170680_zpswrqzeyeh.jpg

This one has a six hole handguard with only one heat shield:
    P1170681_zpsglrdtri8.jpg

This is consistent with a non-military Colt of this era. It's round instead of the diamond shape of the M4 handguard and it also has only one heat shield. Also notice that it's a little more shiny than the M4 handguard of today.

Last edited:

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Great write up, I could not agree more! :thumbsup:

There is something special to me about a Colt rifle. Maybe it's because they are American made or maybe it's the Colt mystique....I don't know. What I do know is that, every time I pick one up, I get the exact same feeling I get when I pick up an M1, M1 Carbine, Johnson 1941 or when I get in my 46 Jeep to go for a spin. I guess it's a sense of American History and Nostalgia. To me, these things represent everything right about American and being an American. They give me a sense of Pride.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have seen more than one of your write ups, and they are all a great read. I am intrigued by your remark about LE trade-in Colts are "they are relatively cheap at the moment; so cheap that I can afford to buy them as I see them if I like what I'm looking at". Are these not something like $900 - $1000 a pop? Or have they fallen in price?

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I recently paid $850 for one but yes, about $750-$900 is what I consider to be a "normal" price at the moment. The rifles go for a bit more but I think that's mainly because folks won't currently pay as much for a Colt that shows the wear typical of a LE example. Yet they won't bat an eye at spending $1500 for a K98 that looks like it's been through a war.....because it has. Well, the LE carbines look like they do because they've seen their fair share of service as well. To me, that's part of their appeal. I really do think these will go up in value significantly over time, especially with the "Restricted" roll mark. And thank you for the kind words sir. It makes me happy any time I'm told that someone enjoys my writing!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I went through the same thing a couple months ago. Ended up buying two 90s vintage Colt HBARs with A2 carry handle and a HBAR Socom in a month.

Overpriced not that much better than any other quality AR but they have a mystique and that Colt 90s "Grey" is always a bit unique.

Still have room for an SP1 when I escape Marylandstan.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I recently paid $850 for one but yes, about $750-$900 is what I consider to be a "normal" price at the moment. And thank you for the kind words sir. It makes me happy any time I'm told that someone enjoys my writing!

Ok - so they are less than I thought. Either they have gone down in price or my notion that they went for $1,000 was wrong. I also have to wonder if HBAR barrels are not very popular outside of Maryland, esp. since these are all 1 in 9 twist and a lot of guys want a 1 in 7 (although I think 1 in 9 is just fine).

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Yes, I think HBAR is a bit of a hit in popularity outside of this state. As to price, I still see them at $1000 and higher but I don't see them moving at that price either.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House

I've been watching that. It's been listed multiple times now. The handguards aren't right and I don't know if that was done by the PD or not so I'm resisting. If it had the proper 6 hole hand guards I would have bought it already. Of course, I could just buy a set of them but original Colt examples are expensive and that would send the overall price too high for me. I have a spare fiberlite stock for the carbine illustrated in post #4 or I would have passed on that one too.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Here's a couple of old ones from me. A 1912 Police Positive Special and a 1941 Official Police. Or as the media would put it, two Glocks.

Attachments

• 0619191423a~2.jpg
      0619191423a~2.jpg
      78.6 KB · Views: 443

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Yes, I think HBAR is a bit of a hit in popularity outside of this state. As to price, I still see them at $1000 and higher but I don't see them moving at that price either.

Also depends what it is. Its hard to get a A2 HBAR carry handle for less than $1000. It can be done. The A3 types seem to be hovering around $850/$900 for real world sales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom