Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old July 28th, 2020, 05:13 PM #1
Short Round

Short Round

Picked My Hunting License

I picked up my big game license yesterday. I tried on line but the system kept asking for my Hunter Safety number. I have been hunting since 1970 on my own and actually found my old license. Went to Solomon's DNR and was in and out in 10 minutes. I can now buy them on line. Being 65 is great as I feel like I am 30 and a hunting license is only 5 bucks. Going to use my 50 Cal. S&W BFR Revolver with open sites. I have been able to hit the bullseye consistency on a body target at 50 yards at the range. Going with a Western rig holster like the cowboys use.
Harrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2020, 05:33 PM #2

That sounds like a great rig! A 500 S&W at 65? I sure hope I still can when I get there. Good luck this year.
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.
-Declaration of Independence 7/4/1776
Bisleyfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2020, 08:08 AM #3
Short Round

Short Round

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisleyfan44 View Post
That sounds like a great rig! A 500 S&W at 65? I sure hope I still can when I get there. Good luck this year.
Even if I do not get a deer just being in the woods is reward enough.
Thanks
Old July 30th, 2020, 11:28 AM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrys View Post
Even if I do not get a deer just being in the woods is reward enough.
Thanks
Sure thing. But emergency rooms with a broken wrist doesn’t sound like a fun ending to a day in the woods :-)

But more power too you if you can shoot that well.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2020, 08:38 AM #5
Short Round

Short Round

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Sure thing. But emergency rooms with a broken wrist doesn’t sound like a fun ending to a day in the woods :-)

I shot over 40 rounds at the range with my 50 Cal S&W and then another 40 rounds of 40 Cal from my Kahr CM 40. Hand was not even sore had SOG shooting gloves on. I generally prefer shooting left handed but can shoot right handed with good accuracy. Shooting large caliber pistols is all about grip and stance. I also recently shot a friends 45/70 BFR which has less recoil than my 50 Cal S&W which was surprising. Both the 45/70 and 50 Cal can be used in MD for deer hunting in all counties of MD. Maybe when I am 80 I will need to light load the 50 Cal. I also ride a motorcycle, and when I can no longer ride on 2 wheels I will install training wheels (Trike)
Old August 1st, 2020, 08:44 AM #6
Short Round

Short Round

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post

Recent Target at SMAR 50 yard rifle range.
Attached Images

Old August 1st, 2020, 08:51 AM #7

How big is that target? Not sure I would be taking any gun hunting if that's the group I got. Those shots in the 8 and 7 ring will only lead to injured deer.
gwchem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2020, 06:45 PM #8
Short Round

Short Round

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwchem View Post
How big is that target? Not sure I would be taking any gun hunting if that's the group I got. Those shots in the 8 and 7 ring will only lead to injured deer.
It is normal body size at 50 yards and it was the first time I had even shot the 50 Cal BFR. Any who those were my first few shots in 7 & 8 the rest were center mass. Bet you cannot do any better for the first time. We should hook up at the range and see if you could do better. Challenge?
Old August 1st, 2020, 07:52 PM #9

I'm not reading minds , but I don't think that was necessarily an invitation to a urination contest .

Speaking in my own voice ; The discussion should be around what is a suitable distance guideline for ( every ) hunter . Like everything , there is debate about the details .

A commonly invoced rule of thumb is to be able to put 4 out of 5 shots on a 10in paper plate , from field relevant position/ stance .

Was the embedded 50 yd target fired standing ? Then experement with shooting from a rested or braced position @ 50 yds . A the rule of thumb size groups might be more in the neighborhood of 25yds presently from unsupported standing .

No shaming or ridicule intended for anyone
Heck the whole point of Handgun Hunting is for the challenge of the endeavor . Challenge individually or cumulatively of stalking , skill in pre- selecting ambush spot , and honing marksmanship skills .

Heck , I'm a big bore fan , and curious about trying the stretched BFRs , I would enjoy an opportunity to try one out @ MSR . ( And with my 1.5 bad arms at the moment , you might have a leg up in any friendly sporting propositions . )

Added - Your PM box is not turned on . If you could be up for inviting for a range session , PM me , or see me at most MSI events .
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2020, 08:03 PM #10

OP, I'll glad meet you for a session, but please don't think I was challenging you. I'd like you to succeed this season.

I just really hate to see folks wound and lose deer. I would argue that for any gun/bow/whatever folks want to hunt with that the criteria is tighter. My expectations are 50/50 shots in a 6 inch target. From the exact positions used to hunt. Whatever maximum distance that gets you is the max distance to hunt.

Most people shoot worse in the field than at the range. Sticking farther inside our comfort zone will ensure more recovered deer.
gwchem is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports