• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    I should say (for those who do not know) this is near the end of River Road, Potomac.

Wondering if they have finished fixing the canal and is there enough water in it?

Usually you canoe / fish / camp / birdwatch/ about 1 mile of river, it is fabulous.
    Then a small uphill carry, put your canoe into the canal, and paddle back to your car. Very unusual in canoeing you do not need 2 vehicles.
    Very pretty area, and great fishing, as well.
    You can bike miles of towpath with good scenery.

Anyone been lately?

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    So they have water in the canal over there? I am unfamiliar with the area. As far as the river, I would stay the hell off of it for a while. The gauge has the river at Edwards Ferry almost at 10' and that is scary high for anything non-powered.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Yeah, it's been a very wet few months and the river is doing all sorts of not-normal things. Be careful out there!

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I hunted above there one time while the water was high and planned to float back down in the kayak for the pull out. I went through what I would call Class 3 rapids because of the high water with a gun in a gun case and a dog between my legs in a SoT kayak. I swore I'd never do that again. I not only swore, but cursed a lot too.

The dog thought it was fun and did not perceive the trouble we were in as my skills prevented us from flipping. It was not that rough as that video, but I was not comfortable at all even in my dry top and waist waders. That has to be class 4 there.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I use the Patowmack Canal/CO& Canal loop there for kayaking when I don't want to have to drive far. Haven't been in probably 2 years, so I can't speak to the current status of the C&O. The big caveat right now is that Trump National cut down a dozen trees on the floodplain without permission and dumped them right into the Patowmack Canal section causing a lot of potential strainers and pin/broach entrapments for paddlers looking to use the Class 1-2+ whitewater course in the old canal on the VA side.

For anyone else in the thread who hasn't been there, that's where the C&O canal gets re-watered for the section that goes all the way in to Georgetown. In theory, it should have enough water in the canal to have the ability to canoe/kayak all the way back up to the put-in at Violette's from the bottom of the Seneca Breaks, but I've hit it a few times in very dry summers when you'd run out of water about 30 yards from the traditional take-out at the parking lot. As OP said, it's a great loop. On normal flow days (anything below flood stage) you can put in above the water intake lock and paddle across the river where the diversion dam pushes the water to river left for the canal to the VA side of things and run the course on that side of the river. Class I-II+ depending on water level. Very few dangers (unless TNGC has dumped trees in it) and a great easy float down to just below the Seneca Breaks where you paddle back across the river and take out on a gentle embankment and put in on the C&O and paddle back up stream to your car. No need to set shuttles, etc.

American Whitewater page for this reach is here: https://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/739/

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Isn't the Trump golf course on the VA side? I doubt they'd ferry trees across the river to dump them

RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel
    The name brings back some great memories.

Not to high jack the thread, as kids, 40 years ago (holy crap:shocked4:), we use to rock jump the Potomac at Violets Lock to fish for smallmouth bass.

We also would search for our own hellgrammites on the bank of the Potomac, good times.

:)

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Isn't the Trump golf course on the VA side? I doubt they'd ferry trees across the river to dump them

*Cough* There are TWO canals there *Cough*

They dumped them in the Patowmack Canal, not the C&O.

The remains of the Patowmack are on the VA side. The upstream inlet is adjacent to the flood plane where they felled the trees. They have not been friendly to paddlers or boaters on the river and act like they own it.

Here's the location to the entrance of the Seneca section of the Patowmack Canal. Note TNGC is right next to it.
    Patowmack%20Canal%20Entrance.jpg

Here's a shot of some of the canal remains there:
    zRKPAyg7Kc7RkmjGqK2vdwze3PVuaxzk7-7D1b8g02wkB1zdXOrYyxcpKtuHQjYB7nRyCdajweOawb5PeSPKPa5l2rhG4M1lWw_GtWxWSBfOcpmY_QU4uVvwey-CeKYv7G4vkQsduc0xU8d-lpFs6HZbMu4-R4zUrvgFuG3WiLkdoPD-qUEDBDmvshnUACBqU5O0nQQEC7oMWQyGUiYxmNITp0HEqFygA8z7pNFcQ4bhpds6Ib-UxLZsBNBh8C_eQHcwjqpIgB57yBP5bYuUYJPO3EC_CdBh7r06P2qT--hOtWknzKgLNGnKJuO9PEeRfvd32ivBip01q-77jeQVlhjkPXUbIdJ8FxROVIlbZxJzvEoHFPD75-TP906Bg2nLl8mJadVEz8gPxt75BR2g5aCyelunbotdzB-7ky79qi07j6hK5AgoV0_iEiuwgCicZGqLBL9PW3hxdZQPz-FvkyUs9JuHnuyFIdSDEwcS7KCuH0s3lNygATlRGM3dilUAuNHLLkPfPGpxQ908KHUNcQsfswvIA_7-IRpmwMjPR-pYij1tYTtCL_ycP9GH_huoCLZpvPbMp27SlIPfiGy5IkBYvjswprScMdDegZ-eSj3AOoopNNbupZhP-LT8Wd8QfDEvQnUrP7cvZMbZunJfuhT6QabRhbmNwildWu1NCSJl9dVZ-NAUydDFBbznUDIHUQZxKy3k6KumGVNVjEpRJy9b=w1060-h795-no

The whole area is lousy with abandoned canals. You have the C&O, the Patowmack system (Little Falls, Great Falls, Seneca Falls, Shenandoah, and House Falls canals), the Goose Creek and Little River, The Washintgon City Canal (flows under the national mall) and many others. GC&LR is one that often surprises people. There are still some pretty well preserved works next to the old golf course on Cochran Mill Rd. in Leesburg.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    *Cough* There are TWO canals there *Cough*

They dumped them in the Patowmack Canal, not the C&O.

The remains of the Patowmack are on the VA side. The upstream inlet is adjacent to the flood plane where they felled the trees. They have not been friendly to paddlers or boaters on the river and act like they own it.

Here's the location to the entrance of the Seneca section of the Patowmack Canal. Note TNGC is right next to it.
    Ahh yes, I know that spot. Didn't realize it was a canal. Thanks for the info!

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Ahh yes, I know that spot. Didn't realize it was a canal. Thanks for the info!

No problem. The location is why Calleva is upset with the cutting. They use the old Patowmack canal as a teaching reach for their whitewater kayaking school. It's good Class I-II+ depending on the water level, but contains minimal dangers. Dumping trees in it means there's a much greater chance for strainers to develop.

Marylandfisherman

Self Aware
    Nov 10, 2011
    Stopped by there yesterday. There is not enough water in the canal to float a laden canoe for the last 100 feet or so. But you could easily walk it to the ramp, dragging it through 2 or 3 inches of water. The bottom of the canal, opposite the towpath, is dryish.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Stopped by there yesterday. There is not enough water in the canal to float a laden canoe for the last 100 feet or so. But you could easily walk it to the ramp, dragging it through 2 or 3 inches of water. The bottom of the canal, opposite the towpath, is dryish.

My guess is that will change after the 1-2" of rain today.

Marylandfisherman

Self Aware
    Nov 10, 2011
    As a follow-up... Was just down there about 10 minutes ago, and you could almost drive down the canal. Just about the same conditions as last time.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    trees along riverbanks are among the best ways to protect water quality and aquatic life and prevent erosion,
    Why the F would the #1 cut trees (for the view?) and #2 Throw them in the river? Dumazzes.
    Thanks for your update Marylandfisherman - they must still be working on the C+O canal....

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Here is a drone of Vioette's lock. There is alot of structure here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2MQxIleUAE

I am pretty much an expert in canoe fishing this area.
    Water Level at Little Falls needs to be 3.5 or less, since it appears the canal has so little water.
    You need to canoe back upstream against the current.
    It is definitely do-able, I have done it many, many times.

Marylandfisherman

Self Aware
    Nov 10, 2011
    Ok, I really liked that footage. Except that it made my ankles hurt, and shins bleed, in horrific memory. I had, and have, horrible balance...

Spent way too much time wading out there in the late 80's thru early 90's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom