• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cornelius

Trust Me, I Sell Cars
    Mar 5, 2019
    MD
    So what say you? How many watches do you have, and how many is too many? (If there is such a thing.)

I have at least 30, I feel like when you collect anything you are prone to over-collecting. I am actually about to start thinning the herd on both the watch and gun front.

30 is probably too many if they aren't bought expressly as collector's items and rather just because you "needed" them that day.

Here's what I wore yesterday, Bulova Accutron Ceramic/Carbon Fiber Automatic, and the Bond Seamaster. Both need a good cleaning.

Attachments

• DSC_0146.jpg
      DSC_0146.jpg
      98.8 KB · Views: 425

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Here's what I wore yesterday, Bulova Accutron Ceramic/Carbon Fiber Automatic, and the Bond Seamaster. Both need a good cleaning.
    It's funny you should mention the two that you wore in one day. I often do that. Yesterday I wore my Tissot Luxury during the day, I put on my Casio G-shock when I did 60 minutes of cardio on my Nordic Track, (The Nordic Track monitor no longer works, so I use the stopwatch on the G-Shock to time my workouts.) and when I cleaned up afterward, I put on my Casio Eco Drive Brycen Chronograph. :D

I figure I'll probably build a collection to around 10-12 pieces, and I'll just rotate through those.

Cornelius

Trust Me, I Sell Cars
    Mar 5, 2019
    MD
    I figure I'll probably build a collection to around 10-12 pieces, and I'll just rotate through those.

10-12 is probably good, and if you find one you really want you can move another that you don't wear as often. Of the 30ish I have, half are Bulova, and of all of my watches I probably only wear 10 with any sort of regularity. I could stand to sell a few.

And I rotate during the day all the time. I need to wear a watch so I usually wear my business watches, nice but not too expensive in case I get robbed or they get destroyed, during the day, and then something else in the evening.

I usually sleep with an old Luminox Color Mark, great lightweight watches for night time.

jrh0341

Jul 20, 2017
    I do not own any, but have also read plenty of positive reviews. I personally have several Seiko's (SKX007K, SKX0011J) and a Presage "Cocktail time".

Not Swiss movement, but very affordable and great looks. The SKX007K is within ~5 seconds/day.
    You can find Seikos on sale during Macy's sales pretty frequently.
    Or, subscribe to Gear Patrol newsletter, they let you know about sales on watches (INCLUDING ORIENT) all the time. Along with other cool stuff.
    Also, check out watchuseek.com - forum where people sell and trade watches all the time. I got my SKX0011J used with a strap for ~ $160.

Yup. I'm over here in the cheap seats myself, with my daily driver being a citizen eco-drive, but as far as I know, for a regular use, non formal watch, your citizen/seiko/orient watches are using a Japanese miyota movement and its respected as a quality movement

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    10-12 is probably good, and if you find one you really want you can move another that you don't wear as often. Of the 30ish I have, half are Bulova, and of all of my watches I probably only wear 10 with any sort of regularity. I could stand to sell a few.

And I rotate during the day all the time. I need to wear a watch so I usually wear my business watches, nice but not too expensive in case I get robbed or they get destroyed, during the day, and then something else in the evening.

I usually sleep with an old Luminox Color Mark, great lightweight watches for night time.
    I have slept with a watch on, but usually I take my watch off - it comes off during my nightly ritual right before I get into bed, and it goes on during my morning ritual, right after I get out of the shower and have decided what I'm going to wear for the day. Today I'm wearing my Citizen Eco Atomic Chronograph - it doesn't really have a name, but I think it's designated as the AT4008-51E.

Yup. I'm over here in the cheap seats myself, with my daily driver being a citizen eco-drive, but as far as I know, for a regular use, non formal watch, your citizen/seiko/orient watches are using a Japanese miyota movement and its respected as a quality movement
    To my knowledge, Orient does everything in house, and they make their own movements.

At some point I'd like to get something a bit nicer - a Tag Heuer Carrera or an Omega Seamaster - something along those lines, but I'll be in the cheap seats for a bit. Currently the highest value watch I own is the Tissot, and it's considered "entry level Swiss."

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Stumbled upon this thread. Question for anyone that may have some first hand experience. My daily watch for the last 14 years has been a TAG Carrera self-winder. Last couple years I have been losing a few minutes a day if I don't put it on a winder at night. I know TAG says to send them back for reconditioning every few years, but until I started losing time I took the "aint broke don't fix it" view. I have a friend that has the same watch and told me after he sent it for "reconditioning" it has been a POS breaking non-stop. Needless to say, I'm thinking I may just swallow the few minutes. Any similar experiences? Any positive experiences on reconditioning?

PJS

Heavy
    Feb 4, 2014
    Baltimore
    Stumbled upon this thread. Question for anyone that may have some first hand experience. My daily watch for the last 14 years has been a TAG Carrera self-winder. Last couple years I have been losing a few minutes a day if I don't put it on a winder at night. I know TAG says to send them back for reconditioning every few years, but until I started losing time I took the "aint broke don't fix it" view. I have a friend that has the same watch and told me after he sent it for "reconditioning" it has been a POS breaking non-stop. Needless to say, I'm thinking I may just swallow the few minutes. Any similar experiences? Any positive experiences on reconditioning?

Most watches need service every 5 years or so. I would take it to a TAG authorized dealer and ask them if they can handle it for you. They *might* have a watchmaker on site, but most will ship it to a service center.

(This is also a good opportunity to buy a new watch to wear while this one is in for service.)

I don't have any personal experience with TAG, so I don't know how their service is.

The forums at watchuseek are a great resource.

Cornelius

Trust Me, I Sell Cars
    Mar 5, 2019
    MD
    Any similar experiences? Any positive experiences on reconditioning?

I have never owned that watch, but I have had an automatic with a weak mainspring that unless it's constantly being wound, would start to lag as it expended it's stored energy. You may want to look into that.

The movement itself could be out of time but it sounds unlikely. I honestly would trust TAG's reconditioning. But that's just me.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

I would almost never advise someone to send their watch back to the manufacturer for service. You will pay more and the turnaround time will be longer.
    I always go local.
    I’ve been going here for years.
    Moren Jewelers in Silver Spring.
    301-588-5549

Btw, 14 years is WAY too long to go without a service, that’s like running your car for 50,000 miles without an oil change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    There's a guy in Annapolis who does watch repair and servicing:

Buddy Huguley's Clock and Watch Repair
    2005 West Street
    Annapolis, MD 21401
    (410) 224-9677
    rolex4you@verizon.net

I've never used him but I have his contact information in my phone because he comes recommended by a friend who does.

tom b

Oct 2, 2011
    There's a guy in Annapolis who does watch repair and servicing:

Buddy Huguley's Clock and Watch Repair
    2005 West Street
    Annapolis, MD 21401
    (410) 224-9677
    rolex4you@verizon.net

I've never used him but I have his contact information in my phone because he comes recommended by a friend who does.

I used this place about 7 years ago. Had 4 Rolex watches serviced there, including one that was my wife's. She noticed that they had not installed the correct engraved back on the watch. I stopped there the next day and they didn't know where the correct back was. They offered to engrave the back that they used.

I took the watch to a Rolex dealer and the back that was installed was not a Rolex back, but a cheap after market piece. Of course Huguley disputed it.

Not going back.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I used this place about 7 years ago. Had 4 Rolex watches serviced there, including one that was my wife's. She noticed that they had not installed the correct engraved back on the watch. I stopped there the next day and they didn't know where the correct back was. They offered to engrave the back that they used.

I took the watch to a Rolex dealer and the back that was installed was not a Rolex back, but a cheap after market piece. Of course Huguley disputed it.

Not going back.
    Apparently he's not there anymore. Might try going to Marc Todd in Severna Park, right there on Ritchie Highway.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Btw, 14 years is WAY too long to go without a service, that’s like running your car for 50,000 miles without an oil change.

I got my TAG automatic in 2006 and have never had it serviced. I guess 13 years is better than 14 :innocent0.

I need a new crystal now in addition to a service, but I am pretty sure that is going to cost me a pretty penny, and I have no idea where to get both done in CT.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I got my TAG automatic in 2006 and have never had it serviced. I guess 13 years is better than 14 :innocent0.

I need a new crystal now in addition to a service, but I am pretty sure that is going to cost me a pretty penny, and I have no idea where to get both done in CT.
    I'd tend to think that any TAG Heuer Retailer is going to be able to put you in touch with an authorized TAG service center. You might have to have the watch sent in to get it done, and it might cost a few hundred bucks, but it will come back in like-new condition, ready to go for another 10+ years, and it will have cost you much less than getting a new one....although there is always a certain appeal to getting a new one. :D

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Well, this happened today. Was in Raleigh and picked up a piece from a guy who has sold me a watch before. Couldn't let this one get away from me.

Early 1968 Bulova "Devil Diver", called such because its marked on the dial as being waterproof to 666 feet.

Tropical dial, creamy lume plots and faded bezel. It came with a period correct steel bracelet that didn't fit my wrist all that well even after adjustment. I put a beat up old military style strap on it and it looks just perfect.

The seller said he got it from the original owner's son. Original owner picked it up in a PX in or before he left for Vietnam.

60095340_10161650971990585_645665775092236288_n.jpg

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Well, this happened today. Was in Raleigh and picked up a piece from a guy who has sold me a watch before. Couldn't let this one get away from me.

Early 1968 Bulova "Devil Diver", called such because its marked on the dial as being waterproof to 666 feet.

Tropical dial, creamy lume plots and faded bezel. It came with a period correct steel bracelet that didn't fit my wrist all that well even after adjustment. I put a beat up old military style strap on it and it looks just perfect.

The seller said he got it from the original owner's son. Original owner picked it up in a PX in or before he left for Vietnam.

Awesome. How much to buy?

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Awesome. How much to buy?

The one on EBay was $995. I got this one for $350 flat. I also have a vintage Doxa dress watch on its way to me and should be here on Tuesday.

That makes two new Seiko divers, a vintage Seiko dress watch, the Doxa and this one since the first of the year.

solarpower44

Feb 2, 2016
    Glenelg MD

Cool watch. Congrats on nice find

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom